Stalking Tigers

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

saratoga

Reaction score
I know here are a few people on this forum that can't get enough of Tiger Snakes so here goes again!

This morning started off as a cool day in Melbourne after some nice rain yesterday and last night. I was going to head out for a walk but went outside and thought it was a bit cold and looked like rain so decided to stay in for the day and work. However the sun soon started poking through the clouds, the snakes were calling and I decided to head out along the Yarra River once again. On the way the radio announced it was 13 degrees heading for a top of 18. It seemed warmer and with the sun coming and going it now seemed like an ideal cool day for snakes to be basking.

A minute after arriving at the carpark I spotted my first snake....coiled up in the sun between some bushes right next to the main Yarra cycleway. It was a very nicely patterned Tiger Snake and reminded me of one I saw mating in Autumn very close to here.

_DKM3032.jpg

_DKM3033.jpg

Further along poking around a few "snakey" looking spots I spotted another young Tiger catching some sun.

_DKM3038.jpg

I came across this big fella while just standing still and looking around...he wasn't too far in front of me...one of the bigger ones I have seen in the area. Rather dull looking without any obvious banding, you'll have to look hard in the photo to see it. After a couple of snaps he moved off. 3 tigers in the space of 20 minutes was pretty good going.

_DKM3050.jpg

Went for a while without seeing any snakes and then had another good run. I did see this nice Night Heron.

_DKM3052.jpg

This one was curled up catching some sun and let me approach quite closely.

_DKM3053.jpg

_DKM3058.jpg

Just a couple of steps further and another big Tiger in the grass in front of me.

_DKM3061.jpg

_DKM3063.jpg

_DKM3064.jpg

And finally only a few more steps further along I stopped for a look around with my binoculars and then looked down at the ground and saw this close to my foot. These 3 snakes I had seen in the space of about 20 metres.

_DKM3068.jpg

I had been walking very quietly and slowly all morning("the snake walk")...it would have been very easy to miss a couple of the snakes and tread on them. The weather was ideal as all the snakes I saw were just basking rather than actively moving around; this made them much easier to find. I visited the same spot last weekend when it was much hotter and saw nothing....well I heard a snake in a grass tussock but that was it. It was nice to see a couple of big Tigers on this trip...not huge....but big by the standard of the ones I normally see around there.

There were only a couple of small skinks active otherwise.....never seem to see too many skinks at this spot but there is always a chorus of frogs and many small wrens which no doubt provide the snakes with plenty of food.

I was hoping to come across some snakes mating or combating....but I can't complain.....6 snakes...a few photos ..and had a great couple of hours........will just have to keep trying!

Not a bad result for a brief stroll! Gotta love Melbourne tigers!

Aww so now i know some more secrets too herping!! Yay, so i can still go out on a day like that and find some snakes!!Yay you learn something everyday!

Great stuff! Six tigers in one day is brilliant :) I went herping today too, but only managed five! You win ;)

Wow, it would be nice to see so many Tigers. Up here they are a rare sight. I wonder whether that Nankeen Night Heron would eat those snakes?

Regards,
David

Well done Greg, it's that time of year mate and we have been busy on the peninsula mate.
So busy that i havnt even had the time to take pics.
Tiger snakes from Frankston to hastings have been popping up in peoples back yards and
quite a few copperheads have been relocated around Mornington to Somerville,
I have just got back from Langwarren after bagging a huge well patterned female.She was angry to and would have loved to get me.
I think the beginning of the season would be the worst time to get tagged as their venom yeild would be peaking, could be wrong, just a theory.
Love the head shot and the pic of the heron.
Thanks Greg

nice pic's saratoga, tigers are one of my fav vens, cant wait to get down there one day an see some for myself.

saratoga I'm becoming a great fan of your pictures, probably because you snap so many of tigers. Fantastic! I would love to be able to go somewhere and just trip over them. Last place I was tripping over snakes was a spot in Barmah forest however these were RBBS and most of which were pretty much near dead due to the crapy conditions out there. It is a real sight to see some nice healthy wild reptiles, especially Tigers, my favourites :D

Cheers

Mark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back