Sick baby longneck turtle

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

angel_saza

Reaction score
I've bought a tiny longnecked turtle home from work (a reputable animal supplies store) as the woman who bought it last week brought it back tonight because it wasn't thriving.

The turtle's shell is .. cm long.. less than the size of a 20 cent piece!
He appear to have white patches on his neck and legs and is very lethargic.
Possibly a fungal infection??
I believe the woman fed him, or tried to before she brought him back so i hope any food hasn't spoilt in his stomach.

He wriggles occasionaly now i've put him in a warm hospital tank. Which i hope isn't his last struggle!!

The hospital tank is a small glass aquarium that has a heat mat stuck to it on half. I've put about 1cm of water in the bottom to prevent the heat mat heating dry and to keep the humidity up-ish. The turtle is in a plastic take-away contained floating. The bottom is wet enough to keep him moist but not up to his nostrils because he cant lift his head and he may drown.

Have bathed him in 10% betadine solution, carefully avoiding his eyes and nose. Haven't immersed him in water since then.

Photos to follow.

Has anybody got any experience with sick baby turts, or am i fighting an up-hill battle.

Photos.. this is the clearest i can get, i even used macro! It's not easy to get good light and clarity when somebody else is holding the container.

Attachments

• Clear close up.jpg
    Clear close up.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 245
  • Next to coin.jpg
    Next to coin.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 175
  • Underneath.jpg
    Underneath.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 183
Yes it is fungal infection. This infection can lead to death over a couple of days.
What to do is get betadine ointment and a cotton bud. Leave the turtle out of the water until he is fully dry. Wipe the white spots with betadine ointment. Then leave him out of the water for 2 hours to let the betadine dry. Keep doing this until the white spots disappear.
Also it is recommended to do a full tank clean. Change the water and wash substrate and other bits and piece in the tank.
This infection was probably caused by dirty water, incorrect pH or lack of sunlight.
I have had this happen to my short neck turtle not so long ago. I hope my post will help your turtle. good luck !

Cheers
Jake

I suspected fungal. I've seen it before in young turts. Reckon i should use undiluted betadine or keep with my diluted betadine? I'm hoping he'll make it through the night.

I got the woman to dose her tank with an aquarium fundicide and recommended a water change. Hopefully her other turtle doesnt get affected.

I would use betadine ointment. I used betadine ointment myself on my short neck and he has pretty much fully recovered over the fungal infection. How long has he been like this and how big are the spots ??

Well the lady who bought him had him for a week. Before that he would have been in the shop's tank for no longer than 2 weeks.

A actually have two types of betadine products at home..

Betadine Antiseptic Solution - in a bottle
Betadine Antiseptic Ointment - in a tube

Both seem to be 10% povidone iodine

Got any ideas for a turtle pick-me-up? He's lookin pretty lethargic.

Lethargic and floating on the top of the water is normal behaviour while turtles having fungal infections.
So you dont know how long he has had this infection for ?
I think the best chance of keeping him alive is to seek a vet ASAP.
This infection may cause death in 3 to 5 days from when it started.

Unfortunatly it's too late. The little guy just died :( Now i'm just angry that the woman didn't do anything sooner. I tried my best, i consider the animals best interests first at work, then making a sale sencond.. hence why i'm always trying to convince people to look after their animals properly!

I'll make sure the breeder is contacted to let them know. I reckon they sold us those turts too small anyway. Apparently they were the last 10 in the state!??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back