Holes In Terra Cotta Hides..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDALDD

Reaction score
G'day everyone,

I've bought some terracotta pot hides for my snake as I've heard they retain heat well and are cozy enough that the snake feels comfortable inside. I'm trying to work out how to put an appropriately sized hole in the side without smashing the pots entirely.

Anybody have any advice?

i just put the area against the ground and then hit the area i want a hole with a hammer works fine

lol, fair enough, when I tried, I cracked it in two :D

I'll be more careful next attempt.

wouldn't soaking the pot with water help? the water in the cermic might absorb some of the shock that cause the cracking. you might be up for a bit of a job without creating a hole with jagged edges, let me know if you figure it out!

I’ve done this with glass but not ceramic,

Fill it with wet sand and compact it all up. and start with a small drill bit drilling holes, gradually getting larger until you get the size you need.

Yes, I've tried two. One I completely destroyed and and the second I ended up with very sharp edges. I'm sure there's a way, since it's used by so many people.

I’ve done this with glass but not ceramic,

Fill it with wet sand and compact it all up. and start with a small drill bit drilling holes, gradually getting larger until you get the size you need.

Sounds good, I'll try it on the next batch.

The way I do it is with a cheap hole saw set I get from Bunnings, they don't last long, but not bad for $10 bucks for the set.

G'day everyone,

I've bought some terracotta pot hides for my snake as I've heard they retain heat well and are cozy enough that the snake feels comfortable inside. I'm trying to work out how to put an appropriately sized hole in the side without smashing the pots entirely.

Anybody have any advice?

turn the terracotta pot upside down and let the snake use the hole in the bottom as an entrance.. you dont need a hole in the side.

Personally I never use terracotta pots. there surface is porous and soaks up moisture (probably including urine and bacteria etc) so may not be as easy to clean as other surfaces.

what I do use for smaller pythons from hatchie to just under a year old is plastic - plant water dishes (the dish that a pot plant sits in to stop water running on floor ) of appropriate sizes turned upside down with a small entrance hole cut in the side with a stanley knife (etc) these can be washed. sterilised, disinfected, put in dishwasher etc and (imo) are better for the snake and better for the keeper.. plus they are minimum cost ($0.50 to $3.00 ea)

As they get bigger I use custom hides (see below) and then bigger aboreal hides I make myself . all can be cleaned and disinfected easily.

custom bought plastic hide

27-small.jpg

aboreal ones I make myself that slide in and out on aluminium track for easy cleaning

CopyofDSC00012.jpg

CopyofDSC00010.jpg

I like the way you have your aboreal hides there Colin, very nice indeed. I don't have any reptiles that require aboreal hides but when the time came I figured I'd just used bird houses however now I'd try your way.

Get a masonary drill bit , hacksaw and a file. Drill the hole slowly then cut and file away untill you have an appropiate sized hole

Thanks guys, all good advice to take into consideration.

I like the way you have your aboreal hides there Colin, very nice indeed. I don't have any reptiles that require aboreal hides but when the time came I figured I'd just used bird houses however now I'd try your way.

thanks mate.. not entirely "my design" just something I've picked up from seeing other guys set ups over the years etc. But the animals LOVE them and they hold the weight and slide in and out like a drawer.. and all can be cleaned and disinfeted easily :D too easy huh? these are all my pythons favourites hides by their choice by far...

If you ever want the instructions how I make and fit the aluminium channel etc PM me and I'll send to you. I think I've even posted these pics and instructions before so a search for aboreal hides might find it.

Nice job Colin! That looks really neat!

I cheat when cutting my terracotta pots and use a diamond-tipped blade with an angle grinder :p I got sick of smashing them also :lol:

..looks awwesome Colin... will have that a go for my enclosure for snakes who wants privacy ... :)

go to the tiling section at bunnings and purchase one the files they have in that section.:)

Nice job Colin! That looks really neat!

I cheat when cutting my terracotta pots and use a diamond-tipped blade with an angle grinder :p I got sick of smashing them also :lol:

thanks Luke and Jasontini :D yeah the aluminium chanel is from bunning and pretty cheap and the black tubs from those $2 type shops for about $2.50 to $4.00 each. that work well upside down on floor for a cheap floor hide for adult pythons.

If you blokes must persist in using terracotta :lol: why not drill out the hole in the bottom a bit more as an entrance hole? or use the small size hole saw to drill a hole in the saucer so when turned upside down the hole is on the top and easy as for the snakes to access?

I use the terracotta hides for my geckos , and i used a pair of plyers to carefully snap small amounts off at a time until i got the desired size and just used some old scrap sandpaper to smoothen the edges out.

Angle grinder and diamond blade is the go. You should be able to smooth the edges out ok with the grinder, if not grab some co**** sandpaper and sand the edges (teracotta is pretty soft).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back