bluey pit

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BJC-787

Reaction score
what is the mininum size of a pit for a pair of blotched blue tongues and would 60cm high be high enough if i put a lid on it.

i am building the pit for them to go in over the next 2 days and was woundering what would be better on the bottom sand or soil?

60cm should be high enough, 1.5 meter by 1.5 would be the minimum I would use but I think 1.5 by 2 meter would be better.

got the size now just need to know what to put on the bottom sand or soil.

is 6-7 hours sun good enough where it is it gets the sun at about 8 in the morning but is fully shaded by 3:30 in the arvo, is this ok.

same ammount of solid sun in the bush mate, perfect, barely ever seen wild reptiles out and about outside them hours anyway

so it's almost done i just need the sand and was woundering what sort of sand to use on the bottom, the one you put in a kids sandpit, brickies sand or other sort.

and does anybody know some small plants (native grasses) that go well in sand and also safe for the bluey's?

I put plants in mine from greening Australia that are sourced from the Cumberland Plain - like Lomandra and native violet. The bluies love to hide in grasses. Maybe try a greening australia branch if there is one around you as they are alot cheaper than other plant nurseries.

I'd say the brickies sand would hold too much moisture, in my pits I just use normal dirt/soil from the backyard and I offer a sand-pit which is one of them shell kid swimming pools from big W, top half is a sand pit bottom half is used as a shallow pond and they cost bugger all. If there isn't enough room for that maybe just a kitter litter tray as a sand pit? Don't think bluey's really need sand do they?

the problem is the hole is already dug as it used to be my fish pond so i have put 20cm deep layer of 8-10mm gravel and now i need to add another 20cm deep layer of sand or soil and i have to buy it, going to buy it tomorrow after work so i need to know what to use.

I kept bluey's in a tractor tyre with the ground below as the substrate. I think soil encourages natural prey to establish itself in there, if you want that.

the pit is done and the blueys have been in since monday, my problem is that they wont come out of the hide to bask, i get them out and put them in the sun and they sit there and bask but then go back into the hide in the arvo and don't come back out the next morning and i get them out and the are really cold so it starts again, is there a reason why they won't come out of the hide. they have sun from 8-8:30 in the morning till 3 in the arvo.

Maybe they don't want too... hehe Happy as they are
Might be scared because its a new environment.
Im sure they'll be right

maybe you could make the hide heated to an extend so its nice an warm for them! (a cumfortable tmep)

can you post pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back