we have mice!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm steer clear of the poisons not only are they cruel to the mouse but if the mouse takes off and dies and is eaten by something that animal is then at risk..............

Go the traps and paenut butter...........nicer and safer all round

Put a bowl of milk out, not just any bowl of milk but add some plaster of paris to it, they will drink it and then it will set in their stomachs.

I know its horrible but they are feral mice !!

There's a chance you have a sadistic streak in your nature - I'd say you need to steer clear of shops such as art suppliers or Bunnings (where they sell cement).

You don't happen to feed aspirin to seagulls as well do you?

hehe...

That has to be one of the cruelest suggestions I've ever heard - just because it's feral doesn't mean it's ok to torture.

Those who recommend poison - shame on you - this comes from the same site where I read that 1080 shouldn't be used to protect our own wildlife - because they can hear the screams of the animals dying....

Mice are too quite to scream.

Good on you who choose trapping as the humane option - that way you can relocate them to the waste disposal unit...

Ok... I seriously don't know what you do once you've trapped them...maybe you hit them on the head, maybe you re-release them in someone's property that you don't like...

But what ever you do - poisons are just so nasty horrible and cruel... I hope that we can all avoid poisons - just because it's out of sight doesn't mean it doesn't hurt the poor little blighters.

I agree that is just like freezing rodents.Very cruel:cry:

Try a bit of Peanut Butter and put some bird seed into it, on the snap traps, as they try to pull out the bird seed in the peanut butter the trap come down and catched them..

then when the snakes breed and take over unleash some mongooses or is that mongeese lol

Lisa: But isn't that a bit short-sighted? What happens when we're overrun by [mongeese]?
Skinner: No problem. We simply unleash wave after wave of Chinese needle snakes. They'll wipe out the [mongeese].
Lisa: But aren't the snakes even worse?
Skinner: Yes, but we're prepared for that. We've lined up a fabulous type of gorilla that thrives on snake meat.
Lisa: But then we're stuck with gorillas!
Skinner: No, that's the beautiful part. When wintertime rolls around, the gorillas simply freeze to death. :lol:

Don't use poison because if the pests escape and get eaten you have poisoned a bird or lizard or snake maybe.

I used to use chocolate, just a bit but rub it into the spikes of the "tongue" mice love it and they set it off, a small block can last for months. if you're vigilant you can get several in a short time off the one trap.

trap them with normal traps or those ones those guys talked about, this probably kills them and saves spreading diseases around, always kill the living ones but wash your hands after doing anything with the traps or mice though.

Okay, I'm gonna get flamed here, but I'm getting pretty flameproof now...... get a................(gulp)..CAT!!!!! LOL!

we have enough cats around our property to last us a lifetime, cats are annoying!! we have dogs, to they really wouldnt mix!

Which mouse traps are you using? If you're using the normal ones I've found mice can often get their treat without setting it off. Have you tried the ones that are like open mouths that slam closed when their tongue is touched?

That sounds weird but it actually describes them quite well :)

yeah i have seen those traps at bunnings, i will get some next time in there, i have just been usng the wooden and plastic snap traps, but i will try these out as a couple of people have reccomended them

:shock:.. You said it, lol

Have you tried peanut butter on the mouse traps? They love it.. and they actually have to sit there and lick it off
ive tried everything peanut butter they just licked off, cheese they just lifted off, chocolate, buscuit crumbs, fruit cake, chips, anything we have had them take from bags we have used as bait.

Sounds like the song about the old lady who swallowed the fly;)

My daughter is convinced the mice I had have grown into rats (because I have kept them in the shed so no one (including myself) gets to attached to them).

Any idea where thier nest is? Could you pour kero down their without accidently burning something down (kero would proberbly kill them even if not lit).

not sure but we think that they might be under the cupboard in the croc room. dont really want to be making the room smell like kero.

we have mouse problems after every downpour of rain :x

The humane cage type traps with the top entrance are rubbish, only caught one mouse in them (must have been a really daft mouse). i did see some humane ones with a side entrance and a sprung floor that lowers slowly under the mouses weight in the entrance tunnel that looked promising. I'm might try them next

In the mean time I got metal "brain crusha" style mouse traps and smear the trigger with peanut butter and they are constantly armed ... even have one on the kitchen bench :(

mouse problem gone ... for now
we have that side entrance one, they are useless, ive had better luck throwing things at them.

Put a bowl of milk out, not just any bowl of milk but add some plaster of paris to it, they will drink it and then it will set in their stomachs.

I know its horrible but they are feral mice !!
i should try that with the neighbours cats!!:D:D
jokes aside i dont think im going to try that.

get a dog. My cats where useless when we had mice, the dog found them
i have two dog, one of them had a mouse, but i think it was already dead it got it, which is a worry if you have been baiting them. wouldnt want the dogs to eat one that has been baited.

thanks everyone for the help, im going to go down to bunnings and pick up some of those traps tomorrow, if anyone has anymore suggestions please dont hesitate to add. we used to get them in my mates garage roof, slept in the shed and every time we herd one we blew a hole in the roof with the gun, we got three that night. i cant exactly go blowing holes through the house, mum would get a little cranky!!!

During the last mouse plauge( many many moons ago,) we used basol snail bait mixed with water to make a paste, the little blights got about three feet then droped dead.

Had a kitchen you could see into from the lounge . Put tastee morsals on kitchen floor , wait on couch watching TV with slug gun . Hours of fun and entertainment [ and cleaning mice off kitchen cupboards ]

There's a chance you have a sadistic streak in your nature - I'd say you need to steer clear of shops such as art suppliers or Bunnings (where they sell cement).

You don't happen to feed aspirin to seagulls as well do you?

hehe...

That has to be one of the cruelest suggestions I've ever heard - just because it's feral doesn't mean it's ok to torture.

what does aspirin do to seagulls?

and I recogmend removing everything that they will eat from where thay can get it and put it in cages stuff that has a lid and mice can't get into and they'll find somewhere else with food to eat and annoy that person.

Will

We had mice for a while. Then I realise that we had a hunting dog in the backyard (jack russell). We set him lose in the house, then we had no mice.

Traps

I'd persist with the traps. No way I'd be using poison as the risk of poisoning to people animals is far too great.

There is a product that is available that is approx an A4 sqaure piece of plastic and has a very sticky glue on it. When I say sticky I mean if you put your own hand on it you would have trouble getting it off.

I have a Cat. Nothing wrong with having a cat. It's the tossers that let ther Cat's run wild that should be shot. Our Cat cleans up every mouse around our shed and house.

Funny thing about mice... I have just discovered I have a mouse in the house and needless to say the dog is rather useless when it comes to mouse catching... So I am glad someone has already started this thread as I will be getting some traps today. Mind you it will be amusing to terrorize the house mate by telling him we have let a snake out to catch the mouse, as he hates snakes. :) What is amusing is every time he comes home he counts all the snakes to make sure they are all there. All fun and games for me! :)

about 8 months ago we had a massive rat! the biggest one u would of seen in our roof... at night in bed you'd hear it running in the ceiling would. Dad got angry cause we had like the poison but they don't seem to fall for it so he bought a massive rat trap drilling the trap to the roof floor (because sometimes the trap go off and fly into the air and do nothing) Cooked up a rasher of bacon, put it up in the roof in like 5 minutes BANG! one huge as dead rat!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back