why are super rats so hard to buy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

funcouple

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
why are super rats so hard to buy?? they suppost to have 20+ a litter every 3 weeks. so you would think that there should be heaps for sale. or dose everyone kill them?
if anyone can help, just pm me. im looking for 4 males and 8 females

For ethical reasons labs can't let them go. Some people probably have them, but most people just have albinoes and call them super rats.

20 pups in a litter isn't much use unless you want pinkies, large litters grow very slowly. Finding a strong, healthy line of rats that don't bite or eat their babies and breed often is hard enough. Mine have 12-14 in a litter and I find that sufficient.

how many snake do you have to feed Hetty, and how many rats do you have breeding to keep you supplied?

how many snake do you have to feed Hetty, and how many rats do you have breeding to keep you supplied?

All of them. As a general rule you need about one female rat per snake.

1 female per snake. thats 17 female rats needed at the moment. thought i would need at least that many. looks like ill have to keep looking for super rats. can anyone help??please

Stop looking for super rats, just try to find a good line. Oh, wait, I already said that!

/me bangs head against wall.

I wouldn't bother with super rats, most of the time they kill their litters as soon as they start to get a bit of size on them.

do super rats wear capes and their undies on the outside??

Yes, and they have a big 'S' on their chest, it makes them easier to tell apart from normal rats.
Super Dooper rats have a big 'BS' on their chests. :lol:

I wouldn't bother with super rats, most of the time they kill their litters as soon as they start to get a bit of size on them.

Had two albino supers , they both killed a few litters each as soon as they got a bit of size on them .
Between them both i reckon they killed around 80 odd babies , never left one baby alive .
Both have since been frozen .

Mine did not wear capes ....

Why did you wait so long to cull them dickyknee? sounds like a huge waste of food to me. I gave mine a chance for a few months, got one litter out of each pair and both were eaten. They didn't get any more chances.

Why did you wait so long to cull them dickyknee? sounds like a huge waste of food to me. I gave mine a chance for a few months, got one litter out of each pair and both were eaten. They didn't get any more chances.

Not really sure , I thought it may have been that I changed their food the first time , so I gave them a second chance ....never again , if any kill they are frozen straight away .

I have four girls going now , one of them has around 20 or more each litter and she just came from the pet shop so am getting the same amounts as the so called super , with out the hassles .

I have learnt, with any rat:
- if it kills it's babies, it gets the freezer treatment
- if it bites me, it gets the freezer treatment

Simple as that!
No second chances :)

Why bother with rats they are so last month!!!

Quails baby!! definately the way to go, full grown within 6 weeks of age, females lay up too 300 eggs per year which if you have 3 females to one male thats 900 eggs per year, now not all of them are going to be fertile but you could expect about 700 birds from that. Only thing thats majorly different is incubation.

i just sold my quails for that reason, i got sick of incubating the eggs, turning them etc. We decided to pull down the aviary, so the quails were moved on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back