Broken or bitten tail, what to do??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gavan

Reaction score
Hey all,

I came home today to find one of my beardies with a broken tail(appx. 1cm from tip of tail), i am assuming the dominant one has had a nip, but will he heal this himself or should i seek medical help? It doesnt look to bad i.e. no blood etc.. but i am unsure what to do, any help please??

Cheers Gav...

i have had this happen and have dipped the tail in betadine and just kept an eye on it, never had a problem. I would consider seperating it from a dominant lizard tho because it may affect its eating and overall happiness therefore health.

Seperate them if you can. I wouldnt be to phased about the tail, the lizard will be fine.

yeah i figured they could cope with it just wanted some opinions, this is the first time something like this has happened though, because they get fed seperately anyways...

I've had it happen and now my lizard has a stumpy tail. I didn't do anything to the wound cause it wasnt bleeding etc and it just healed on it own. Its funny cause the one that it happened to turned to be the dominant, larger one in the end. My advice is separate them if they fight etc. If you don't wanna separate and they are ok, consider hand feeding/ feeding them separately so that you dont get one of them hogging the food and growing a lot larger than the last one.

Had just saw the sep feeding thing lol. Yeah, generally its a juvie thing and they grow out of it. How old are ur little ones?

they are about 6mths old, i feed them seperately so thats all good, i dont want to seperate them, but if worst comes to worst i will, they are generally fine together so i will have to keep close eye on them both.

a vet did tell me that the worst time for fighting was up until like 2years old, obviously takes em a couple of years to figure out who is boss, or they cant be bothered anymore lol

Yeah they'll prob grow out of it so you good chance you wont have to separate them. My little pygmies were my first reptile so it was a learning curb for me in terms of dominance and stuff. One of mine is a lot smaller due to that very reason but now I hand feed her and she is slowly catching up heh. Mine settled down pretty quickly in term of tail nipping definately less than a year. Good luck with ur little fellas!

Cheers, hopefully they will be okay as they are both pretty much the same size, the last weight check i had was about 3 weeks ago now and the were 13g and 14g, not much between them at all!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back