Silkworms

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpython

Not so new Member
Reaction score
G'day all, I have kept a few to all them to cocoon. I am chasing some info on the later on stages from when they come out of their cocoon. I have done a quick search but come up with mainly wanted add's.
Any helpwould be appreciated. ;)

i believe that they die of starvation when they reach moth stage. due to domestication, they have 'forgotten' how to eat.

Mate basically you don't do anything, just keep them in a box (a shoebox is good) and they will mate, the female will lay eggs and then they die. They only live for a short time and they don't eat at all during this stage

yep clarkey takes the prize. just keep an eye on the eggs late winter/ early spring

Yeh i am familiar with the laying eggs and dieing bit, what sort of cond/temps do the eggs need to be kept in??
How long they stay in the cocoon??

I had 10 in cucoons, half have hatched, but all at different times :( meaning by the time a 2nd one comes the other dies! at one stage i had 2 moths, and they were mating, but the female died before she had a chance to lay.

Mate just put them out in the garage and get them out next spring.
Temps dont really affect them.before spring comes i keep the eggs in the fridge.
This way i can take them out when i want some more to hatch.

Do you guys have ur own mulberry trees to feed the silkworms? Is there anything else they can eat besides mulberry leaves?

They can eat rose pettles and beetroot leaves.This makes the cocoons
come out pink,purple ect
I will stick too mulberry leaves.I get them from mates houses and hanging over peoples
fences on the way home from work.

I`ve been told they can be fed beetroot leaves but have had no success myself, only mulberry leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back