Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

afsan

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm looking for something a little differeent with a few requirements.

1: I live in a small flat and have limited room. I only have room for a 2ft tank.

2: Somthing interesting, a little different. I would like to be able to handle them as well.

3: Fairly inexpencive. I'm not interesting in spending hundreds of $ for some rare variety.

4: Easy to care for. I live in Brisbane. It's basically 'home turf' for many reptiles.

Ideas?

scrub python.
nah i dunno maybe a small python or geckoes/lizards. depends what floats your boat

If you want something different a gecko or two would be interesting. Or you could go for an aquatic snake like a file snake or mcleays water snake.

snakes are easy to care for and pretty inexpensive after the inital set up but dont really like to be handled all the time

some beardies would be good as you can let them roam the room while you home, but there a bit harder to look after the a snake

does any one keep file snakes? get a pygmy bearded dragon.

If you've never had a reptile before, then a spotted, childrens or stimsons python won't go too shabby in a two-foot tank. As far as I've seen, any of that group are between $100-300 or so dollars. All you'll need after that is a heat globe, hide and a water bowl. And, of course, a substrate (floor covering), such as newspaper or fake grass.

Be prepared to spend at least a couple of hundred dollars on any reptile. I think pretty only lizards ever get under $100, and most dragons and skinks can't spend most of their lives in a two-foot tank. You could have two or three geckos instead of a snake.

It's up to you on what you want.

Any small lizards including geckos don't really want to be handled, but if you can get over the handling part, the best geckos would probably be one of the Strophurus family or Underwoodisaurus milii. A Childrens group python would be OK, though some will outgrow a two foot tank unless you have some height to it.

LOL doesn't have to be a rare variety to spend hundreds of $$ i think you have to for any reptile!!

Scorpions? Ever seen them under UV? I dont know how you would go handling them as Insects/Bug like things arent my forte...

Failing that, small frogs, non-venomous spiders, smallish geckoes, small skinks, legless lizards, sandswimmers etc etc - Not too sure on the sandswimmers length, as I haven't delved that far in with lizards etc just yet.

Hope that helps:)

P.S. No real idea on pricing, but I doubt most of them wouldnt be more than 100-200bucks max... but then again, depends on the quality/lineage of the animal etc etc just look at the for sale forum for rough pricings of them.

Get a tree snake.
Nice blue one would be a bit different

For a 2ft enclosure? thats a bit harsh on the snake dont you think? not to mention the effort it takes for that snake as compared to others...i.e. gts spray their passings all over the place and are generally very messy.... not to mention their diet and feeding habits! I wouldnt recommend this as a first snake nor one to fit in a 2ft enclosure. thought of when it gets older? As they said, they only have roughly enough space for that sized enclosure, so I would be suggesting animals that are ok to comfortably live in it at adulthood.
JMHO tho:)

Spiney leaf insects
Slime mould (it crawls around)
A yabbie
Leaches (need a good lid)
A spider
Those little bugs that eat rotting flesh,I can't remember what they are called, they use them to clean the flesh off dead animals.

A couple of suggestions.........

Per

Seems as though a pygmy Bearded Dragon is the go....

Are there any small (as in max 50cm) pythons that might also suite?

go a perthensis if you want a snake,
but when you say tank you mean enclosure, hopefully

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back