age to begin to hibernate ???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reptileman

Not so new Member
Reaction score
I have diamondpython 1.1 they are born august 2007 and are 14 month old are they old enough to hibernate ??

they weigh 148 g each

the winter month here are dec-march ....3 months in sweden.

What sort of snake? Just curious why you want to hibernate? and what is your idea of hibernate?

oh really well thanks for clearing up that Wokka ......1m and 1f would have made it alot easier to understand lol......

next year would be better, i dont cool my pythons until they are at least 2, also it depends on how cold it gets in sweeden, you dont want to turn off your heat. you want to cool them down, but in saying this it is best to do it every three years just to give them a rest when there is only one. if you intend to get it a partner it is best to cool them every winter as this imitaes nature and starts breeding behaviour.

i intend to breed them in the future.....and i will cool them in my basement storage.....outside it can by - 33 degres celsius so that is not a good idea.....i have a thread their i ask how to cool them secure so that a can do now.

i now that diamonds have a cooling time each year so they can breed in the future and to be healthy they need the cooling everey year , the size are 60-70 cm so they are not big.

and 1.1 means , 1 female and 1 male so that is my breeding pair.

Lol. I went skiing not long ago, and it was -27C with wind chill on the moutain. Very cold. Especially to someone who comes from Brisbane :p

I don't have diamonds, but my Bredls and Darwins are already bigger than your babies at <12 months old. Maybe it's best to keep feeding this winter (if they will do so) and cool next year. You may not need to move them to the basement unless you keep your rooms very warm.

The area around Sydney (where we naturally have diamonds) is about 12 - 17 C as a high temperature in winter. It doesn't freeze. Many people who keep diamonds in outdoor enclosures report that they bask in winter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back