can you identify this snake?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eugene_23

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

i'm new to this site. i wanted to know if anyone can help identify this snake for me? my dad has been seeing them around his shed lately and we're wondering if they particularly dangerous and should be avoided. it is about 40cm long so i think its a hatchling, all the ones we've seen have been about this size, a bunch of them must have hatched recently.

it has a body scale count of about 18, they're really small so it was a bit hard. it looks like the anal plate is divided, but its hard to tell. its dark greeny brown it colour, except for its head as you can see. it has a cream coloured belly with orange flecks all over it. the undertail scales are divided.

it is not aggresive and can be handled easily. it doesn't strike or open it's mouth at all. it looks a bit like a taipan i think, exept for the colour and that it isn't agressive. taipans have a couple more scales too and an undivided anal plate.

theres a couple pics i've attached.

hope you can help,

thanks, luke!

Attachments

• PA210017.JPG
    PA210017.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 211
  • PA210008.JPG
    PA210008.JPG
    30.2 KB · Views: 233
Haha, dont handle a snake untill you know what it is!

count yourself lucky that its not aggresive as they can be. even though its on 40cm if it was to bite, you would be quite sick. again if your lucky

soo trade those little fellas for the big 1's around here, havn't seen them myself, but apparently the last person to die around here was a couple of years ago, not that long.

yeah and if you run over them make sure they come out the other end because they rap around the tire and bite your leg when you come out of the car. and don't annoy them coz they might chase, not too sure on the chasing part though

Will

That snake has a head distinct from the body, are you guys sure it's ptt? I'm certainly no expert and I know browns vary a hell of a lot but I'm not convinced.

looks like a lesser black whipsnake (Demansia vestigiata) not a juvenile brown snake, but they can still give a good bite, so i still would'nt go handling them, your lucky to have them around your shed

Blake

Last edited:
i would say eastern brown and not lesser black whip snake simple because the whip snake seems to have a yellow ring around its eye this doesnt seem to

the orange flecks on the belly are also indicative of eastern brown- i looked into it once cos my cat had a small (about20cm) one bailed up. it had a band across its neck, so i thought it was a crowned snake or similar- but it had to be a baby eastern brown- not much else has the orange spots on its belly!

hmmm, just had a second look at the rostral scale on this snake, it seems to be larger like a brown and the nasal scale seems to be more in line with the eye (like browns), but vestigiata do tend to lackoronly have a little of the comma mark unlike other demansia,
blake

eastern brown

jamies 001.JPG nothing like a blackwhip like in picture its 100% eastern brown

Last edited:
it does not have the "tear drop" eye that Demansia species have and the head scales look very close to Pseudonaja ( according to the key in Cogger ). So I'll side with the Browns

Lesser black whip snakes don't have the tear drop ( my avatar), not that its a whip snake.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back