Red Bellied Black eating Cane Toads?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NinaPeas

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hey All,

Was at uni the other day and got told in a lecture that RBB's in some areas are actually developing an immunity to the cane toad's toxin.

The lecture was about co-evolution and that in the past 75 years or so that cane toads have been here, RBB's heads are getting smaller (compared to old records and museum specimens) and their bodies longer, so the longer (larger the snake) the more the toxin is diluted.

Anyone heard anything about this or know more?

neens :)

well not being a scientist cant answer ,but if that is to become a fact good ..cause I have seen dead snakes with toads still stuck in their mouth and its really upsetting that a poor reptile doing what nature intended and comes to this horror..i am not one for blaming the toad as it didnt ask to be brought to OZ,but I do admit I kill them when I see them..but if anyone has ever seen how a cane toad can breed so many taddies in a dirty tiny mud puddle and survive and live to breed on they are the ARNIE "I'll be back " amph's and the only way our reptiles are gonna handle it is adjustment...

I just don't know what they were thinking when they introduced the bloody things, EVERY stage of it's life is toxic. It's the triple threat, the are long lived, prolific breeders and toxic their whole lives.

Doen't the Keelback snake eat them as well?

There is a paper by Rick Shine on this, im fairly sure it is online but i cant find it... He also did a study on toxicity in many other species too and i cant find it either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back