CO2 Gas Chamber Instructions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Did this instructional post help you?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sweet set up, i live near a BOC gas and gear shop. They charge $7 for a kilo of dry ice (sometimes when they are feeling generous they dont charge) .
I put half full cup of water in a container with the mice, close the lid and they are all dead in a minute or so. Too easy, i cull bout once a month so...
$7 x 12 = $84
It'd take a little over a year for a soda stream to save me money, then you gotta buy refills...
and of the kilo i get i probably use 50-60 grams to kill 40-50 mice! Couldn't use the lot if i tried.
And dry ice is fun to play with...
(carefull kids)

Sure hope you don't get flamed for this post! Brilliant set-up. I'm on my way now to the shops to get my very own Soda Stream! Thanks for great system!

FNQ do you have a small hole in yours to allow the pressure to escape , the first time i used mine i nearly blew the container up with too many squirts , i have since drill a tiny hole in the lid to allow any excess pressure to escape and it still works the same .

Hi DickyKnee, I have no need for a small hole as the lid lifts up under the rubber seal as the CO2 pushes the air out then settles when the pressure equalises. Good point though. A small tap may be better than a small hole though, that way you control the gas in and out.

I am guessing theree will be instructions on how to set up the drink maker thing, then you've added more so that we can cull our mice/rats? As i have been thinking about doing this once i get my two carpet pythons!

I am pretty sure that this is what this thread is all about dougie.

Hi DickyKnee, I have no need for a small hole as the lid lifts up under the rubber seal as the CO2 pushes the air out then settles when the pressure equalises. Good point though. A small tap may be better than a small hole though, that way you control the gas in and out.
You can actually buy containers with a built in valve in the lid now. I think they are designed for microwave use and the valve simply allows the pressure buildup to escape.

You can actually buy containers with a built in valve in the lid now. I think they are designed for microwave use and the valve simply allows the pressure buildup to escape.

Too right, I just saw that Tupperwae make them as well. Just looking at them at the moment. Now this is what I like to see, nice comments that are helpful.

:lol:

In the next week or two, the perfect CO2 Gas Chamber will hopefulyl be created.

Cheers

Kris

Cheers for that FNQ - I went up to K-Mart yesterday after reading this, and they have the whole sodastream setup for $49. You get the machine, a full bottle of CO2, and 2 plastic drink bottles.

The one thing that wasn't included was the sodastream drink flavourings - it is a bit upsetting as my jungles will now have to have plain rats for dinner... they had their hearts set on cola-flavoured rodents.

regards,
Lockie

Sweet set up, i live near a BOC gas and gear shop. They charge $7 for a kilo of dry ice (sometimes when they are feeling generous they dont charge) .
I put half full cup of water in a container with the mice, close the lid and they are all dead in a minute or so. Too easy, i cull bout once a month so...
$7 x 12 = $84
It'd take a little over a year for a soda stream to save me money, then you gotta buy refills...
and of the kilo i get i probably use 50-60 grams to kill 40-50 mice! Couldn't use the lot if i tried.
And dry ice is fun to play with...
(carefull kids)
You can also Hire Bottles of CO2 from a BOC gas shop, like big metal welding bottles but im sure they would have smaller sizes. If i remember correctly my dad hired one for somthing like $70 for a big sized one, then you just take it back when its finished, Which would last for ages

The annual hire on a bottle from BOC is about $120, plus $40ish for the gas, and you need a regulator, that's about $100.

The annual hire on a bottle from BOC is about $120, plus $40ish for the gas, and you need a regulator, that's about $100.

Well that makes the little soda stream unit very affordable IMO

Great setup FNQ :) Glad you took the time and effort.How well does it work on pinkies?

Great setup FNQ :) Glad you took the time and effort.How well does it work on pinkies?

No dont use on pinky's, To kill pinky's Just throw hard on to a tile floor do it so the back of the head hits first - dead first time everytime - no mess

Co2 is not a good way to kill pinkies as it take a very long time for them to die (Not good). Their breathing rate is slow / shallow so they dont breath it in fast enough for a quick kill

Lewy

Well that makes the little soda stream unit very affordable IMO

Yes, it does. When I was looking, I went to k-mart and their soda stream units were $200, so I opted for the BOC system. It's paying itself off quickly though.

I have seen soda streams in cash converters many times, go for next to nothing

Just got my Soda Stream off ebay for $23. Came with a refillable steel bottle instead of the swap out aluminium ones. I'm stoked, tired of the bloody hands!

I don't breed my own rodents, but if I did I would use this set up before even considering any others. Make this sucker a sticky.

Quick question though, can you cull them and feed them straight to your animal immediately? I wouldn't have a clue, so sorry if I'm asking a dumb question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back