Moldy beardy eggs PLEASE HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kaylenegary

Reaction score
Hello,
I have 2 pairs of bearded dragons. One has laid 17 eggs and we have very carefully moved them to an incubator set at 30.c without turning them, they were laid about 2 weeks ago. I noticed today when i took the lid off to air it ( i was told to do this every 2 days from the breeder i bought them off ). Have i done somthing wrong? I have read up on breeding spoken to the previous breeder whom had them to get as much info as i could. He had produced off spring from them with no problem. I have lost his number so cant ring for assistance.

Are the eggs no longer ok.
Have they gone off.

PLEASE HELP.

Kay

Thank you,I was not sure what to do with them...
Could it possibly be. How to explain it?
When the female lays the eggs there was watery stuff probably to help them come out easier. could it be that stuff going off???

probably to much moisture if there going moldy. Is it like white furry mold?

Thank you,I was not sure what to do with them...
Could it possibly be. How to explain it?
When the female lays the eggs there was watery stuff probably to help them come out easier. could it be that stuff going off???
are you sure it wasnt a broken egg that leaked over the rest?

was the container and vermiculite sterile? were your hands sterile when you moved the eggs?
is your moisture right?
there are alot of things that can make eggs go mouldy, just leave them, dont touch them and introduce more bacteria.. wait, if they colapse and the mould gets worse you can remove them .. i have had an egg go mouldy and still hatch before.

I dont think any broke and yes it is a white furry mould. When i mixed the Vermiculite it would clump in my hand as i have been told to do it by 3 people and have been shown how to do it. Sould i moisten ( spray ) at all during the incubation process.

thank you for all the help every one...

Sounds like the vermiculite is too wet. If you have any left over, take the eggs out, pour a layer of dry vermiculite over the top of the wet vermiculite and then put the eggs on top of the dry layer, so that they are not touching the wet vermiculite. Also wipe away the mould with a damp paper towel, a bit of lemon juice may stop the mould from coming back.

A good egg can stand a variety of conditions but a bad egg is just that.......

I've used the same system for around 25 years. 1:1 ratio of vermiculite. Tub 3/4 filled with this mix. Eggs half buried. Cut most of the lid out and put gladwrap over the tub using the lid to secure it (this allow gaseous exchange so no need to open).

If a egg looks mouldy throw it out as it may spoil the others.

Eggs will go mouldy for two reason a; they were never alive to start with. Your female may of laid slugs and nothing would of stopped them from going mouldy, or, ...b; You somehow killed them, too much moisture is the most common way for those new to egg incubation. I rarely bother opening the lids of my eggs, unless it is to take out dud eggs, beardy eggs are extremely durable, and don't die easily.

Set the mouldy egg/s up in another container, I had a really mouldy egg once that hatched a perfectly healthy beardy so it's always worth a go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back