Corn Snakes forsale on petpages.com.au

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
they are ILLEGAL in australia.. ur are looking at like 30k n more for having them in ur possession .. ur are making quite a risk to have them (u could loose ur collection)

who cares if there illegal, 30k is abit much for a penalty. You don't get that fine for dealing illicit drugs. Cats are more harmful anyway,,they should be illegal.

they are ILLEGAL in australia.. ur are looking at like 30k n more for having them in ur possession .. ur are making quite a risk to have them (u could loose ur collection)

I don't think that bloke who shall not be named (from Victoria - ex head of the HS there) lost his collection for importing a large number of GTP's. And these are only corn snakes. The law is gutless when it come to punishing the illegal possession of foreign animals.

i have no intention of buying them nor would i want to own one.

exotic.... eww

I don't think that bloke who shall not be named (from Victoria - ex head of the HS there) lost his collection for importing a large number of GTP's. And these are only corn snakes. The law is gutless when it come to punishing the illegal possession of foreign animals.

So true. Maximum penalty is for repeat or extreme offence anyway. Everyone else gets a slap on the wrist.

There are thousands of people keeping corns and other exotics in Australia, Corns are being kept as first snakes by kids these days, and being bred in huge numbers. Some people getting them don't even realise they are illegal, because they are being openly traded and commonly kept. The only time your hear about someone being busted for keeping them, is when the Police do a drug raid and find snakes as well.

tossers

its tossers like this bloke that bring in the diseases from other countrys that we dont have here and dont want!:evil: thats why the penaltys are so high

If I found someone was keeping illegal snakes, I would tell them into authorities. If it was my mate - I'd make sure he gave me the legal snakes first so they wouldn't get taken. :D

who cares if there illegal, 30k is abit much for a penalty. You don't get that fine for dealing illicit drugs. Cats are more harmful anyway,,they should be illegal.
tht is because tht is drugs.. i am tlking about our ecosystem.. us here in aussie are so very lucky to be free of major diseases and ppl tht bring introduced species are crazy and can do major harm to our environment and it nature.. how do u think the 'mite' got to aussie?

the bloke from victoria got a 15K fine for importing GTPs and corn snakes for a "friend" i think the fines they dish out are fair. if ur snake escapes you dont know what its going to do in the wild!

JasonL – I do agree there are lots of corn snakes in Australia – but thousands? You make it sound like there are more illegal corn snakes than licensed Australian snakes. I doubt corn snakes (Or even the evil red eared sliders) would make major inroads into the Australian bush – reason: there are established predators to keep their numbers down.

If this is the case the Australian Authorities should seriously consider the laws and think about removing the licensing requirement for more Native animals. Remove the red tape will make it as easy as possible to be legal. That way people will not look at illegal corn snakes as an easier pet (No license required – not records required – it is just another pet like picking up a kitten from the girl down the road.

JasonL – I do agree there are lots of corn snakes in Australia – but thousands? You make it sound like there are more illegal corn snakes than licensed Australian snakes. I doubt corn snakes (Or even the evil red eared sliders) would make major inroads into the Australian bush – reason: there are established predators to keep their numbers down.

If this is the case the Australian Authorities should seriously consider the laws and think about removing the licensing requirement for more Native animals. Remove the red tape will make it as easy as possible to be legal. That way people will not look at illegal corn snakes as an easier pet (No license required – not records required – it is just another pet like picking up a kitten from the girl down the road.

i promise you...there are thousands of corns, red tails and even mor chameleons. these days i honestly dont think that there would be a huge differences in the number of corns in comparison t childrens...it is seriously beyond a joke! i work in a pet shop and i get offered them everyday and i honestly serve more customers and answer more questions in regards to illegals then our own native stock. the crazy thing is that in most cases they are actually more expensive.
as for red ears and corns there are already established wild populations, if you know where to look you can go down to the 'local' creek and catch a few sliders. they are more dominating then people think and quite easily establish and take over as the dominant turtles (in the case of sliders)

If “illegal” exotics are so common – more than say t childrens – then clearly the red tape coursed by licensing and government restrictions on the natives has failed the herp hobby.

I repeat – if the government removes licensing restrictions on more Australian natives – this would reduce red tape – make them more competitive option with exotic animals.

Back to the sliders – there are populations in Australia that were started pre 1970 – nearly 40 years ago (One in Sydney) and they do not appear to have spread very far beyond the original release point in central Sydney. Note this could be due to the site is isolated by urban jungle.

If the illegal exotics (Some may have been introduced before it was illegal to keep them in Australia) are common – How about doing a study of what is in the country (Much like they did in with captive birds) – do a bio diversity risk assessment and then make a call on legalizing some existing species. Clearly there is a demand for them exotic species. Right now ALL exotic reptiles (With the exception of GTP and Asian house gecko) are treated as an invasive species – even animals that are critical endangered (As rated by CITES).

what I don't get is that in the U.S.A. you can get jungles and stuff, but in Australia you can't have exotics, and I watched a youtube thing where I think the person said that the jungle was an exotic whilst also stating it from Australia, so why can't we have corns?

Will

We don't want the herping hobby to turn into what it is in the states - No Offense to Miss Croft - but I would much rather owning native and pure snakes rather then a snake bred with everything and anything.

Those advocating the introduction of Corn Snakes(or any other exotic) here should do some reading on Gaum and the Brown Treee Snake...completely destroyed the islands birdlife and costs their economy millions of dollars every year in power shorts and blackouts. Not saying that would happen here but who knows. Corn Snakes could provide stiff competition for some of our best rodent eaters like Brown Snakes.

You only have to read the number of posts on this forum about escapees to get some idea of the potential.......and no doubt...if people can't get rid of the babies by selling them..they will find another way....releasing or dumping them!

I agree with Croft....our wildlife laws should be relaxed to encourage more species to be kept....we have a fantastic range of animals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back