rebuilding a car

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
nah yea 243 was a typo it's 223and thats pretty good man nice car whats you tourqe ect and also do you have pics of the engine and raptor do both superchargers and turbos i orded a supercharger from them but what would i ge more horsepower out off turbo or charger cheers mate

the 202/3.3l are the best of the true holden 6's.you wont get 243 cubes out of one though.mine is draw through carby fed 202 with just a hybrid ,plain bearing turbo putting out 630hp at the wheels and runs 9.1 sec@145mph and is a very basic motor that only cost a few grand to build.
also took Simon Stone (southern x reptiles) for a run in it when he was up for the Qld reptile expo
cheers
simon

nah yea 243 was a typo it's 223and thats pretty good man nice car whats you tourqe ect and also do you have pics of the engine and raptor do both superchargers and turbos i orded a supercharger from them but what would i ge more horsepower out off turbo or charger cheers mate
definatly make more from a turbo.ours is rated at 850hp.you would have to run a massive supercharger to make the same horsepower but you be sacrificing 100 hp to turn the thing.a supercharger is fine if you want 300-400 flywheel hp but if you want to make serious hp ,a turbo is the go.and alot more effecient.

so what size turbo would you recomend for mine? it not a drag car just a show/street machine lol

so what size turbo would you recomend for mine? it not a drag car just a show/street machine lol
all depends on whether you are going to run fuel injection,blow through carby or "old style"draw through carby.with draw through you need to use a turbo with a seal in it ,which limits you to plain bearing turbos,which take longer to spool up,however MR TURBO at the goldcoast are able to do a ball bearing one with a seal if asked.
with blow through and injection you can use any type of turbo.these days there are plenty on the market and you can set it up to produce as much hp as you like.
the most important things to remember is keep it a tad rich,run synthetic oil(castrol edge10-60 is ideal)and dont run too much timing.also make sure your rods have been shotpeened, and keep your compression as low as possible (7-8 to 1 ,if possible. should get away with 8-9 to 1 if tuned right and if boost& timing is kept down).as long as the basics are done right ,you shouldn't have any dramas.also make sure you have a good tuner, preferably with a dyno and specailizes in turbo motors.pump fuel these days is terrible quality so always use premium and dont play with the boost controller if its not tuned for it.very easy to melt pistons.its a different kettle of fish than naturally aspirated.good luck with it.
cheers simon

sounds like a lot of fun building your car, i have plans to do either fix up a HQ or a Wb statesman all for show awell, not interested in drags

I take it this will be a dedicated street driver so here is my suggestions:

Mate if you can get hold of a Ford 200 crank you can have it machined in a 186/202 block to stroke it to a 235. This is not an off the shelf stroker kit though but a few people have done it over the years with great success.

As for turbo size, you want it to be streetable so go for something like a Garrett GT3582R with an 82 rear A/R & aim at 8.1 - 8:5.1cr. This will give you good response and still hold a fair bit up top IMO.

Go an LPG conversion for the higher octane & cheaper running costs. This will help alot when it comes to seeing high boost and avoiding pinging with no detonation.

Suck through (crap set-up)
Basic & cheap Strata set-up using Strata manifolds, a T04B turbo etc.
Swap the SU or Webber carbs for either Impco OR Gas research parts as seen below.

Blow through set-up 1 (not bad set-up)
Use a redline manifold, Impco 425 gas carb, twin model E convertors. The 425 is already boost referenced so you can force air through it.

Blow through set up (my choice)
Use a VK injected inlet manifold with a 440cfm gas research throttle body & twin B2 convertors.

1 of the blow through set-ups would be best. This way you can run a FMIC and you will never see any pinging etc when hitting 25 + PSI (which you want to get such a heavy car moving). The benefits with gas is you will save costs on fuel pumps, surge tank, injectors, ECU etc + you will recieve a government rebate for the installation. You also get to run a cheaper fuel with a higher octane rating than anything else purchased at the pump. And it is perfect stuff for boosted motors, I have been doing it for years. Just make sure you run hardened valve seats etc to suit the non lubricating fuel.

Last edited:
So have you already got the Raptor supercharger?
If so don't worry, they are a pretty decent system for small motors.
You wont get the same performance as a turbo but you will see enough for daily duties. Do the same as above with either the Impco or GRA set-up, but exchange the GT3582R with the charger.

This is what I would do:
Stroke it out & add forged rods & pistons.
ARP bolts all round
ACL bearings all round.
High volume oil pump & extended/baffled sump.
High volume water pump.
Decent cam with adjustable cam gear
Bigger valves & springs, hardened valve seats, seals etc

2.5" cold side & 3" hot side piping with a 600x300x76 FMIC.

Get pistons with around 8:5.1cr.
Get a cam that is matched to your turbo/charger size, boost limit & stall speed.
Methanol injection is also a good option but I doubt you will be needing it with an intercooled gas project. Especially if it's a low PSI supercharged unit.

Have you thought about twin charging?
You could use the Raptor charger along side a Garrett Turbo. This would give an awsome all rounder with great response & top end.

I take it this will be a dedicated street driver so here is my suggestions:

Mate if you can get hold of a Ford 200 crank you can have it machined in a 186/202 block to stroke it to a 235. This is not an off the shelf stroker kit though but a few people have done it over the years with great success.

As for turbo size, you want it to be streetable so go for something like a Garrett GT3582R with an 82 rear A/R & aim at 8.1 - 8:5.1cr. This will give you good response and still hold a fair bit up top IMO.

Go an LPG conversion for the higher octane & cheaper running costs. This will help alot when it comes to seeing high boost and avoiding pinging with no detonation.

Suck through (crap set-up)
Basic & cheap Strata set-up using Strata manifolds, a T04B turbo etc.
Swap the SU or Webber carbs for either Impco OR Gas research parts as seen below.

Blow through set-up 1 (not bad set-up)
Use a redline manifold, Impco 425 gas carb, twin model E convertors. The 425 is already boost referenced so you can force air through it.

Blow through set up (my choice)
Use a VK injected inlet manifold with a 440cfm gas research throttle body & twin B2 convertors.

1 of the blow through set-ups would be best. This way you can run a FMIC and you will never see any pinging etc when hitting 25 + PSI (which you want to get such a heavy car moving). The benefits with gas is you will save costs on fuel pumps, surge tank, injectors, ECU etc + you will recieve a government rebate for the installation. You also get to run a cheaper fuel with a higher octane rating than anything else purchased at the pump. And it is perfect stuff for boosted motors, I have been doing it for years. Just make sure you run hardened valve seats etc to suit the non lubricating fuel.
dont underestimate the drawthrough setup.i would never use a webber or su's with the boost we run but with a double pumper holley and a couple minor "tricks" it can be an extremely good and cheap setup and very easy to tune . my car is still the quickest holden 6 cylinder sedan in the country, that i'm aware of, and it has no fuel injection,no intercooler,not even a rollercam.i love the "old school"style where i can tune it myself without relying on computers and injectors.give me a dirty old drawthrough 202 any day over a fuel injected,intercooled rb30 or 2j .more character in my own opinion,but thats just my opinion.every meeting we got to we always have the "injected "boys scratching their heads at our car.
another car i help tune is John Bogaart's HD streeter.its a very basic drawthrough setup but with a smaller turbo and 650 holley.has run a best of 11.8 sec. it picks the wheels up each pass and the car weighs over 1 1/2 tonnes.last weekend we had a dyno day and it put out 380hp at the wheels without getting a chance to do any tuning on it
its all about what floats your boat and what your budget can afford.each of the styles have positives and negatives but your right though ,LPG would be a great option for a streeter.
the cheap little toyota supercharger kits arent a bad option as well.
cheers
simon

Attachments

• hd1.jpg
    hd1.jpg
    373.3 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
im not going cheap on my car my parents are putting a loan under there name for me and plus raptor do both charger and turbo so i can swap it im not to worried about the price at the pumps so ill just stick with fuel at my work all out fuel has ethanol through it from 5% up to 20% is it alright to run that type of fuel through the engine.?

cheers nick

I agree slimebo,
I shouldn't of said draw through is crap, although compared to a custom blow through set up it is inferior IMO for a dedicated street car.
Your set-up is perfectly fine for your own needs, that being a quarter mile racer, however for a vehicle with daily duties I would personally go another route.

For starters you are unable to run an intercooler which may be fine for drag cars running a race grade fuel & probably methanol/water injection for several seconds at a time down a drag strip, but for a street car limited to pump fuel detonation can be a problem with the lack of adequate cooling with the amount of stop/start driving through the city.

You are also limited to turbo type being a bush bearing oil cooled T04B. This is good enough for most, however I would prefer a ball bearing unit which is both water & oil cooled for faster response, less cool down time & a longer lifespan.

The Strata "log" manifolds are also ok for most, but don't have the airflow of a custom 6 into 1 exhaust manifold from someone like ETM or 6boost. You can have it power ported etc, but after purchasing it, port/polishing it will cost as much as a custom anyway.

And running a carby has it's limits on a street car also.
You will only be able to tune for a single boost level, again this is fine for a dedicated strip car chasing fast 1/4's, but for street duties you will have to compromise. You won't be able to tune it for 2 different boost levels like you could with EFI. So you will more than likely just set boost midway somewhere (eg:18psi), rather than have a street tune (say 12 psi) and a race tune (say 24psi).

im going to stick just with standed type not injected it's going to be a show car so not driven around much i have a rotary that i drive daily lol and dont get me wrong im a bit of a lead foot and would love to do up a full blown drag ar but i wouldlove to blow off the jap cars at the lights every know and then and what type of short shifter is good too

cheers nick

well i went out and brought some more stuff today i got gilmer drive kit, knife edged exchange crankshaft and ACL race series pistons so now i am broke till thus lol

Sounds like it's gunna be a screamer. Im just bout to start on my Kombi. Looking to fit a V6 into it (not sure what yet, I know usually people only fit Boxer motors in them but I know a few blokes from a workshop that can fit some V6's in them.) Not sure what else I'll do to it yet im just taking it one step at a time.

Gets sent in to get repsrayed on Friday. Will take some before and after pics and post them after the make over lol. She is a bit rough atm like most Kombi's. A mate has got a turbo rex motor in his and on a hot enough day if you give it some off the line it comes pretty darn close to wheel standing!

What colour is the body and interior giong to be,and what rubber will it have?
Good to see another old car saved from the scrap heap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back