Good Camera for herping

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Spending up to that is overkill for an entry user, I use a canon 40D and managed to get it at a reasonable price of around $1200-1300 for the body alone, guarantee you wouldn't be able to tell the difference between that and a 50D by looking at the images.

But I agree the kit lenses are pretty bad, your better of saving that little extra and buying a nice piece of glass, but spending $2000 for a first dslr (just the body) is a little ridiculous.

I bought a Canon 400D body about a year ago for $855, and 70-300mm image stabilised lens for $915. You can get the best body in the world, but if you have a crap lens you will still get crap photos. I chose my lens first, then selected a body to suit.

Very happy with my choice. Looking forward to getting the 100mm Macro soon.

:p

Hix

Nikon

Nikon D60

Body retails for $729
Body + AF-S 18-55mm VR lens - $849
Body + AF-S 18-55mm & AF-S 55-200mm lens - $879
Body + AF-S 18-135mm lens - $1,159

Cannot recomend this camera enough i recently bought one for my partner and he loves it. Its great for soo much not just reptile pics... He's still learning how to use it (so is stuck on Auto mode for when he just wants some nice pics) but they are awesome pics :) Don't know if im allowed to or not but look on ebay you can get some really good deals :)

Hi Mark

its very difficult recommending cameras.

I used to have a high level point and shoot(nikon 8700) which took really nice photos and had a great macro function and pretty reasonable zoom. It also allowed for manual over rides and some creativity. I was very happy with this camera, however I upgraded to a Nikon d200...a truly great camera(now superseded) but not one for someone new to SLR photography. The difference is truly amazing and it is a real pleasure to use although it is big and heavy. There really is no comparison to using a point and shoot and an SLR.

One of my biggest gripes with the point and shoot was the autofocus.....in poor lighting..eg at night it would often not focus or take a long time to. With the SLR the focus is almost instant. This makes a huge difference when photographing animals. I can now also rattle off shots in quick succession...5 a second...and the camera turns on and is ready to shoot instantly....no waiting for the lens to wind out and no shutter lag when you press the button.

It all boils down to what you want to shoot.....tiger snakes no doubt!....do you want to use it in the field, at home, close ups (you dont want this to happen http://www.winnipegsun.com/News/Winnipeg/2008/11/02/7278691-sun.html), at night. If you go out herping are you prepared to carry around a big heavy camera or would you rather just have one that slips in your pocket. Can you see yourself using photos in a book or magazine, or do you just want them for the odd A4 print and web use?

There are plenty of SLRs just a few years old that are available at good prices....no need to get caught up in the megapixel race.....better to get a cheaper body and spend more on a good lens. Dont let some salesman talk you into getting something with all the latest gimmicks....really not necessary. There are good bargains(new and used) online but work some of the camera shops to get a feel for something you might like.

I would stick with Nikon or Canon if you look at getting an SLR.

Also there's always something you can tweak with a digital image so consider getting some image editing software not far down the line...and some extra hard drives for storage!

Last edited:
Just as an aside - some info before doesn't sound correct - optical zoom uses the lens elements and does not increase the size of the pixels.

Digital zoom on the other hand does.

The point and shoots I have used would produce a poster sized print of comparable quality to a dSLR.

Mark , I use and have done for years a Pentax DSLR , it is on the bottom of the DSLR scale , but to be honest it takes a pretty good picture even using the kit lens , it is certainly not the best out there , but if you are not trying make a living with it you will be fine .Mine cost around $700-$800 with a 18-50mm ......throw in the extra $600 for a good macro and you should be good to go .

I want it for feild herping mostly but would also use it in the home. A feild herping camera should still be good for around the home shouldn't it? I'm not bothered by having to carry around a big heavey camera and maybe a few lenses (down the track) and would be looking to shoot all reptiles or wildlife I pass, but would like it mostly for snakes. Obviously I wont be looking at making big dollars off it instantly but down the track after some practice and maybe a Tafe class then I'd like to try and get some quality shots to have in magazines or posters. Thanks for all the advice, now I have a foot to stand on when talking to sales people which is what i want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back