new bike or should i stay on my old 1??? motocross race bikes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beardy_boy_6

Reaction score
hi guys im 13 and 175cm tall about 50kg i live in austraila i have a yz 85 big wheel and i want to start to race but i dont no if i should start on the 85 and then move up or get a new bike and then start i was thinking of getting a yz125 or yz250f but i dont no if i should get a 2 stroke or 4 stroke. i have been on 2 strokes since i was 5 and have never ridin a big 4 stroke only a pit bike so any help would be great o and i want to stay on a yamaha so dont say get a kx,rm.cr or anything like that

i no some people on here are into bike so i thought i might as well ask here thanks

If it was me id probably spend my first season racing on a bike that i know then maybe think about upgrading.The reason i say this is the bike you already have, you would know or should know inside out and know how it handles and accelerates etc.As for the 2 stroke versus 4 stroke debate, i as all people my age started off on a 2 stroke as thats all there was but now ride 4 strokes and wouldnt go back to the oil burners.I found after adapting my riding style to suit the 4 stroker it is alot more user friendly and doesnt beat you up as much as the 2 stroke did and while youre not spending so much time and energy fighting the bike it allows you to focus on running smoother lines and carrying higher corner speed which inturn makes you a better rider cheers Troy

id say upgrade, then take time prcticing on it to get used to it, we have a 125 Yamaha and a 250 CRF Honda and the 250 is soooooooooo much easier to ride, its a bit heavier but its a great ride! the 125 is ok harder to ride but its pretty fast and REALLY light so maybe go with one of them?

Go the YZ125, when you ride it the first few times it will be a little scary for you because you have upgraded from such a small bike(I went from a tt-r125 to a YZ 125) but you will pick it up in no time and they are much liter in weight then a 250f so it will be much easier to throw around on a track and easier/faster to pick up and get racing again then a 250 4 stroke would be in the unlikely event you fall on your ***.

The only thing you have to watch is your throttle control, cause if you hit powerban in the wrong spot and don't have good throttle control and aren't able to back off you'll find yourself off the track and on your *** in no time, I have seen it happen to many times.

My YZ125 (04) is a beauty to ride but I feel I need something bigger and a bit more powerful so hopefully soon I will be selling mine off or trading it in for a brand new 250f. Also being really tall I find the 125 is getting a bit small for me height wise, so I would like something a bit taller aswell.

Here's a pic of me riding at Appin MX track.
IMG_5294.jpg

ok thanks for that guys i think i will do a few races on the 85 and them move on to a yz250f but if i find a nice yz250f i will buy that. what you think??

I have a YZ125 the same as MrSpike then i upgraded to a yamaha wr250 07 model and im loving it but i still have the YZ125 and i still ride that some times only cos i love powerban :D. I would say if you have a mate who has a YZ250f ask him if you can ride it for a day or a few hours and see how you feel when riding it then make a choice from there thats what i did.

i started off with a RM125 then ended up going to a quad i brought a yamaha raptor 660R and i love it they are good fun and i would upgrade mate i dont know to much about bikes i just ride them :p

I started out on 2 strokes and ended up on a four banger, cos of all the hype about how good they were...

They are easier to ride as they torque through corners better, you could be in a gear lower or a gear higher and still power through smoother... I found also that they are harder to work on (dohc etc) and the valves needed re-seating all the time as dust manages to get in (even with a good filter and oil). I only raced it one season though and went back to the 2 stroke...

I also had a mate who worked at the bike shop as a mechanic, he also went back to 2 strokes after one race season...

Regards...
Ash...

Mate if i were you, and if you are new to racing i would stay with the YZ85 first. Once you get use to race conditions i would look at getting a new bike. When i use to go up a bike size i would not race with it until after 6 months of having it. Just to get use to it and ride the bugs out. Racing is nothing like just riding a track. And a YZ250F is a great bike lots of grunt. Really learn how to control the power before you start racing with it. One of my Mates races a YZ250F and he has been riding bikes for over 20 years and the first time he raced it, he flipped it becuase of the power. But still a good bike and its fairly heavey for a bloke of your size.

I have a YZ125 the same as MrSpike then i upgraded to a yamaha wr250 07 model and im loving it but i still have the YZ125 and i still ride that some times only cos i love powerban :D. I would say if you have a mate who has a YZ250f ask him if you can ride it for a day or a few hours and see how you feel when riding it then make a choice from there thats what i did.

thats the thing i dont no anyone who has a yz250f most of my mates ride pitbikes so that makes it hard as to witch one 1 pick. i have been told by some people to start on the 85 and then move up and some peole have been telling me im to big for the 85 and that i should move onto a bigger bike and then start to race so i relly dont no what to do:x:x

ok say i got a yz125 and put all arfter markets on it and make it a full race bike would this be faster than a yz250f???

any more help would be great as i have to let dad no what i want to do as he will be paying for the bike but he wants a new car so he wants to no how much my bikke will be so he can work out how much he will have for a car

thanks

really depends one what you put on it. I like four stokes just for the grunt. I use to do alot of trail bike riding! But its like anything the work gets done to it the less reliable it is. And trust me i know, im a mechanic and it doesnt matter wheather it be a bike, car, boat, the more work done the less reliable. But the way i would go is with a 250f and do some work to. Such as new hi flow exhaust, New air fitler, new fuel pump and some high quality leads and plugs. just to start with!

If it was me i would go with the YZ250f if you get a YZ125 you will just want to upgrade again in the next year or so thats why i would get a 250f. Dont race for a while get use to the bike cos your going to feel a REALLY big difference in the power coming from a 85. Let me know what one you get. At the end of the day its up to you mate.

ok let me no what you guys think of doing this

1.i sell my 85
2. i get the yz250f
3.i ride it most days arfter school untill the nexted race sesson (i will be building my own motocross track to train on well dads going to build it)
4.i race with the yz250f next year

would this be the best thing to do???

yes But dont sell your 85. It is best to race a smaller lower class for your first year. Maybe half way though the year you might want to give it ago so then race 85's and 250s. But you will wont to do your first year in a lower class. then sell it off!

I think you should be fine by then but it depends how confident you will be when its time to race. How long do u have till the next race?

not to sure how long to the nexted race but now i have the smae prob 1 person telling me to keep the 85 and 1 person telling me to sell the 85

if i want to get a new bike i have to sell the 85 so dad will have a bit more money for a better car

Mate like i said in the earlier post id keep the bike you know for the first season atleast,the last thing you want is to have to get used to a hell of alot more power and if you go to a 4 stroke a completely different power delivery.Learn some race craft,get some podium finishes then think about upgrading.Plus 2 strokes are easier and cheaper to work on than the all mighty four strokes.

ok Troyster but dont you think im a bit big for the 85???? o and what track do you race at down here in SA??

get a 125, you will find by end of season that you will be way to heavy and maybe to tall to ride the 85 comfortably, you have already mastered the 85 and the difference between the 125 and what you have isnt a big step so you will absolutely hammer. good to see a young guy with some balls and not stuck behind a xbox all day.
go hard son.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back