The Fish Are Next To Go

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Better stock up on koi what price do you think they'll go for on the black market ? Better register or petlink while im at it

Its about time, better late than never i guess. Anyone with a half decent knowledge of fish and ecology would know there is far more damage that ornamental fish can cause. To anyone who doesnt know they have already caused massive damage and likely to lead to extinctions of many native species.

Argh cichlids are on the list? :(

I wanted to get a big flowerhorn eventually, such personalites. Cichlids are my favourite fish overall to keep in an aquarium.

The fish black market is enormous. It makes the reptile one look insignificant. There are certain fish that should be banned as they will establish too easily in our waterways (Sorry Vixenbabe but Flowerhorns are one of those) but I think its going to be unworkable, even if it is passed.

What I find amusing is that non-native fish are bred and released in our waterways with governmental blessing so that recreational fishers can have something to catch. Trout-fishing anyone?

So what do they do with the people who have spent thousands on these fish?

Foil, lemon and butter will be handed out in special biosecurity kits. Seriously though i have no idea.

Its a bit like exotic herps, they are fine in good hands but many are serious hazzard in the hands of the typical idiot. I think it would be a good idea to have them on licences to keep them out of petshops so that only serious fish keepers can get them. Many of the most expensive fish are illegally imported anyway(as far as i know) so in those cases no compensation is quite fair IMO.

Having an interest in fish it is very easy to see how much more damage ornamnetal fish could cause if nothing is done. It is a very complicated thing to take on though.

Yes too right cris, freshwater exotic fish have already caused enough problems
definitely about time for some controls.

I would be very interested to know how they will asses each species though?

Cris – many of those exotic fish species that you talk about are still been released into the Australian Water ways (With government funding). They should look at those fish before they look at some of the ornamentals. The reason they do this is these fish have “commercial value”. Some of the fish that do less damage are banded (Like common carp) because people find it where there is poor water and it is very common to catch. Carp = better chance for may Australian native fish (Cod, Golden perch…) as it removes the vegetation that some of the introduced fish breed in. (Read Carp can live with many native fish, English perch and samonoids out compete or wipe out native fish. Good example is the gudgen)

There was a case of a few fish (I think about 12) released in a golf course pond and 3 years later they took 18 ton of fish. They said this was a problem – I think it is a resource. Processed into fishmeal this would have been a great windfall for the golf course – and reduced the rap and pillaging of global oceans (Where fish meals is currently collected). What I am trying to say is some of these “invasive” species should be seen as resources instead of as a problem.

Remember in the eyes of the authority if it aint a fluffy cat or dog – it should not be kept as a pet.

Does anyone know if Vic has a black list or gray list on fish
I know that Koi are banned here. I wish they weren't because my pond would better with them instead of gold fish

Cris – many of those exotic fish species that you talk about are still been released into the Australian Water ways (With government funding). They should look at those fish before they look at some of the ornamentals. The reason they do this is these fish have “commercial value”. Some of the fish that do less damage are banded (Like common carp) because people find it where there is poor water and it is very common to catch. Carp = better chance for may Australian native fish (Cod, Golden perch…) as it removes the vegetation that some of the introduced fish breed in. (Read Carp can live with many native fish, English perch and samonoids out compete or wipe out native fish. Good example is the gudgen)

You mean trout right? what are the other many species? livebearers(excpet Gambusia), goldfish and tilapia are three major pests directly due to ornamental fish being kept. If you think carp help native fish you need your head checked, i have seen a creek go from having a good diversity of fish to having practically only Gambusia and carp they are essentailly tougher fish and out compete the natives.

There was a case of a few fish (I think about 12) released in a golf course pond and 3 years later they took 18 ton of fish. They said this was a problem – I think it is a resource. Processed into fishmeal this would have been a great windfall for the golf course – and reduced the rap and pillaging of global oceans (Where fish meals is currently collected). What I am trying to say is some of these “invasive” species should be seen as resources instead of as a problem.

In properly contained Aquaculture tanks tilapia are probably one of the best fish around. Turning pests into a resource is a tricky thing to do well as it can lead to dependance on something we should be trying to erradicate.

Remember in the eyes of the authority if it aint a fluffy cat or dog – it should not be kept as a pet.

Some of the fish that do less damage are banded (Like common carp) because people find it where there is poor water and it is very common to catch. Carp = better chance for may Australian native fish (Cod, Golden perch…) as it removes the vegetation that some of the introduced fish breed in. (Read Carp can live with many native fish, English perch and samonoids out compete or wipe out native fish. Good example is the gudgen)

You don't think carp eating all the weed insight is detrimental to native fish?
What on earth is "poor water" many native fish are hard as nails in regards
to tolerance to extremes in water quality and temperature.

Well that species doesn't sounds like a threat at all..

Now get back to google to copy and past more BS.

As someone that used to keep Cichlids, if the government brought in laws regarding banning these i would expect them to cover 100% of my costs.

Some fish are as expensive as some snakes!

I can see dozens of court cases and why not when you can sue for only about $60 to $150 which is the application fee.

\There was a case of a few fish (I think about 12) released in a golf course pond and 3 years later they took 18 ton of fish. They said this was a problem – I think it is a resource. Processed into fishmeal this would have been a great windfall for the golf course – and reduced the rap and pillaging of global oceans (Where fish meals is currently collected). What I am trying to say is some of these “invasive” species should be seen as resources instead of as a problem.

Pretty sure Christpher Skase was the golf course and resort owner in this case, a good man to follow in all aspects of life :rolleyes: :lol:

its just killing business, i have over 60 different species of cichlid in store, koi is already banned in qld.

Its been 2 years in the making , better swap all the arowanas for guppys now :D

Well untill the guppys go on the noxious list.

Anyone want some cheep fish???? :D

lolz i wonder if they will ban tetras :p

Carp = better chance for may Australian native fish (Cod, Golden perch…) as it removes the vegetation that some of the introduced fish breed in.

thats the biggest load of bs i have ever heard carp eat native eggs and our fishs use that vegitation as well as our frogs wich carp eat they also eat native fish eggs and fry they are just as bad as any salmonoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back