Planning on Visiting Queensland, where should I go?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DDReptiles

Reaction score
Hi,

I just booked a flight from here to Brisbane for late May, early June of next year. I realize this is your guys winter, but was still wondering how the herping was during this time. I was planning on flying into Brisbane and then over 3 weeks working my way up to around Townsville and then back down to Brisbane.

Just wondering if you guys can reccomend some good places to visit, reptile wise, and just in general?

Also planning to go diving on the reef if you guys have any reccomendations there.

Maybe get to meet up with some of you and do some herping :)

Thanks Derek

Mate, you are right in the middle of winter, you will see nothing in the wild,
Still got Australia Zoo, and a few other Reptile parks - the one at Childers is highly recommended.

Come over summer, you will see heaps of herps :)

If you do a stop over in Singapore, give me a shout, I am sure I could find some interesting herp spots. Not quite QLD, but as Ad has said not much wild stuff to see in QLD in winter.

Neil

Thanks for the replies,

I wish I could come down during your guys summer, but unfortunately I can only come down during our summer, damn hemispheres LOL ;)

What about in northern Queensland, like north of Cairns?

Hi Derek
Welcome to the land of Oz. You have heaps of our geckoes I see. :)
The North Queensland Herpetological Society Inc. is based in Townsville.
I am sure member would love to show you around
Cheers
Sandee :)

Hi Derek
FYI, Australia Zoo do not put all Reptiles on display during winter. ( I had to find out the hard way)

Mate, you are right in the middle of winter, you will see nothing in the wild,
Still got Australia Zoo, and a few other Reptile parks - the one at Childers is highly recommended.

Come over summer, you will see heaps of herps :)

Come on Ad, there is tons to see in the wild during winter :)

Night herping is basically useless, but it is the best time of the year to find a lot of diurnal stuff.

Get in touch when you're closer Derek...I'm in Brisbane.

Just bumping this as its just a month until I leave. Looking at spending a few days around Brisbane, then flying up to Cairns. Want to hit up Daintree area and the Atherton Tablelands. Also wouldn't mind getting in Frasier island.

If any of you natives have any tips on what to hit up in these areas, or want to meet up and do some herping they would be much appreciated. :)

Thanks Derek

3 weeks isnt really long to get up there! i would recommand doing Australia Zoo, Snakes downunder. Also try to get some time to go over to fraser island. You can see alot in two to three days over there! Cant really recommand anywhere to dive, because most the places on the reef i have drived, speared or fish you really need your own boat to get there! and havent really been on any commercial dive tours! There use to be a croc farm up rocky yepoon way but i dont know if thats still open!

Plenty of reef up off Townsville. I use to snorkle up around Orpheus island, rattlesnake island, palm island (but don't go to the actual island), magnetic island. I did a asisted dive on the pandora wreck that was awesome.

There is still plenty of wildlife to see all up and down the Queensland coast durring winter. Plenty of roos, emu's (now I know where they are near me), beardies, skinks, monitors of all sorts, I do see a lot of snakes at the moment durring the day walks I take.

if you go to NT then its summer all year round and you might be able to go out bush snake hunting, olive's bhp's and darwin pythons plus the venomouse ones and bandy bandy's, file snakes, tree snakes, night tigers, and water snakes all up this locations and coastals. + more lacey monitors etc.

north queensland surpose to be very similar in temp to darwin too.

grate barriar reef and great kepple island are grate places for snorkling,

place's near brisbane I would recomend to all are Belthorpe, Mt Mee, Montville, Malainey and Mt beerwah area is fantastic herping spots there inbetween brisbane and sunshine coast. inland.

cheers

Sunlover Reef Cruise

winters not really a good time for diving, visibility won't be all that great but i'd recommend going to cairns and doing the Sunlover Reef Cruise, heres a link http://www.sunlover.com.au/. They have a full buffet upon arrival and you can go for a dive or just a snorkel if it's not your your thing. Regardless of what you do, you'll still have the chance to swim with Wally, a HUGE wrasse and get a photo with him.

Let me know if your gonna end up going so I can get you to give my regards to one of the crew members on board.

Daniel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back