Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True but we are in the process of domesticating them in the first place. We are breeding them year after year generations after generations to live in close associations with humans. We can't necessarily tame them nor can we use them like a horse can but we are in a way domesticating them. All breeds originate from somewhere, the rottweiler in germany etc. one place thinks of a way to breed the animal to a way that is useful for us, snakes are to instinctual based and don't have enough intellegence to be able to train them to certain uses.

There's more to domesticating an animal then keeping them in captivity. A snake will never be truly domesticated. You need to look into terms properly befor emaking such posts. There is only something like 26 species of animal in the world that can be truly domesticated. This is because domestication relys on social skill similar to that which are displayed in humans. Dogs were probably the first to be domesticated, because they use pretty much the same signals we use, such as facial expressions and body language.

Germany is a big area, so saying a rottweiler resides from germany says nothing. Germany is probably a bigger area then our iron ranges and PNG combined, so how does that come into the GTP debate.

All breeds of dog have been domesticated for thousands of years and are far from anything resembling a wild animal. They still contain some basical instincts yes, but these still reside in modern dogs because they're built in instructions that are near impossible to simply breed out.

I'm sorry to be blunt, but you have no arguement here. You may as well be comparing tuna with bears....

Then what is the proper term for what we are doing for snakes if its not domestication is it imprisonment until death? Just point my blind self to what the proper term for what snakes are for us....

if ya want a gtp. buy a gtp. its that simple.
you guys use to be about the music man! :p

they're just captive animals I guess.....

If you're saying it's cruel how so? we give them ideal conditions, regular and consistent food, treatment for parasites, no storms, no predators.... Sounds pretty sweet to me. You have to consider that these are not social animals, nor are they the sort of animals that require a whole lot of stimulation and exercise. They're the sort of animals that are just there, and play their part in the environment. They have very limited learning and thought capacities.

Also, when it comes to handling, they don't like it, they tolerate it. It's something they adjust to through regular conditioning.

Then what is the proper term for what we are doing for snakes if its not domestication is it imprisonment until death? Just point my blind self to what the proper term for what snakes are for us....

Captive specimens...

you are way wrong there. Its alot more than 26 species.

Wanna find me a list of these. This is what I've been told by a knowledgable and reliable source. You might be surprised. Certainly if I can see reliable resources I'm happy to accept it.

It's never cruel if not a human, If we kept a human in a small room that replicated an home envirnoment on a smaller scale.....Kind of like the truman show have you seen that (it has jim carrey in it)?? where they replicated a whole world for him and when he finally figured out that there was another world out there he walked out the door instead of staying in the safe environment. Really I don't actually think its cruel but the point is that as you have said before and we all know that they don't have the intellegence we do, if they were able to know do you think they would want to be free or stay safe in a cage?

Animals included in this list that do not fully meet this criterion are designated "captive-bred" or semi-domesticated.

I'm talking fully domesticated animals. That list contains animals bred and raised as food as well as animals used for research. I'd hardly call them domesticated.

Nikay, how can you compare them to humans. I'm all for animal rights, I hate seeing animals suffer. But did you read my post? They're nothing like us. We don't just exist, we have complex thoughts, we have emotions. We're so different to a snake it's not even funny. You cannot compare a snake in captivity to a human being put in a room without contact to the outside world.

That's all I'm saying. Grr, I hate forums. I'm done with this futile arguement.

domesticated is domesticateed if you want to ignore the facts and make ya own list thats fine but in the end they are domesticated.

To be considered domesticated, a population of animals must have their behavior, life cycle, or physiology systemically altered as a result of being under human control for many generations. Animals included in this list that do not fully meet this criterion are designated "captive-bred" or semi-domesticated. The term domestic animal applies to domesticated animals that actually live in physical proximity to humans, such as pets and guard animals, or even food species kept very close, e.g. to live on domestic food scraps and/or so their body heat can be used as 'stable heating'.

i counted over 90, and im pretty drunk. so there would be more.

or maybe only 45, haha but yeah there would be thousands of potentially domesticatble species, virtually every species of plant or animal can be domesticated. Domesticated does not equal cute fluffy loving pets, i think this may be the confusion.

its all demesticated in the end.

there is way more than 26 species truly domesticated in your sense anyway.

Oh nevermind the point of a debate is to look from all perspectives, and I totally agree its not cruel etc and that yes domesticated animals can't compare to snakes.... but you didn't even know what to call our pet snakes to what they are.... Anyway Its more fun if you would say hey maybe that may be true but... Just look at the very bottom of the principles behind the way humans justify things....rottweilers originated from germany in the town of rottweil....

Green pythons can be DNA tested (at least the females), and with a large enough data-set you can distinguish native snakes to those from PNG/Irian Jaya. Many (known) native green pythons that have been in captivity for a while do loose their vertebral stripe and thus tend to resemble 'exotics' - whether this is due to reduced UV, has, to my best knowledge, not be tested.

Some like to keep their animals pure, others don't care. At the end of the day it is the individuals decision. If someone is going to pay large amounts of money for an animal, I would have thought they had done a fair amount of homework on its origin. If not, then they probably don't mind where it is from.

never bring a knife to a gun fight disasterpiece7.0

cause the internet is a wonderful tool to research!

and if you pluck things out from no where they soon get stamped out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back