Cheapest Reptile? [at least 30cm]

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snakebuster

Reaction score
Hi, I need to find a reptile that doesn't cost much. I'm already gonna get a marbled gecko, they're pretty cheap, I've already got an enclosure for them, all I need is to find some Marbled Geckos for sale now. But I want something bigger as well, like a bluey, or a beardy, but they cost a lot.
I want something that grows to at least, well..........30cm.

If anyone has any ideas, please post them on this thread. Thank you very much.

S-buster

Christmas is coming. Might have to drop the hint at your parents. Bearded dragons are terrific pets. I just love our little girl. And since you want to save on costs, don't be fooled into thinking you HAVE to have a UV light or reptile-brand basking lights. A couple hours in the sun each day will be just as beneficial for them as it is having the tube on all day. Sunlight is free & lasts forever. UV lights are expensive and need replacing about every 6 months. My Bearded Dragon book says 10 hours a week of sunlight is as good as 10hours a day of artificial UV lighting. For a basking spot in their cage you can buy low wattage spotlights from Woolies that will provide the same warmth as a globe from the pet shop.

I have had a few wild blue tongues in care and they are just as fun to have. They are easy to keep, love their food as much as the beardies and a pleasure to interact with.

don't beardies cost like 50-100

Yeah they are more expensive than Snakebuster probably wants, thats why I suggested asking for a one as a Christmas present.

Beaded dragons and bluetounges are often $25 or less, if you cant afford that you shouldnt be getting anything.

Mysnakeau is right you dont need to spend much on a setup, even a cardboard box will do for an enclosure.

go a bluey my first reptile which are really easy to look after and thts wat brought the love for reptiles on now i have snakes and turtles as well

Beaded dragons and bluetounges are often $25 or less, if you cant afford that you shouldnt be getting anything.

wow they are cheap up your way down here in adeaide from what ove seen they start around the $100 mark

wow they are cheap up your way down here in adeaide from what ove seen they start around the $100 mark

Wait until later in the season, plain looking beardies will be in massive supply. Coloured ones generally start at $50 and go up from there. Really nice coloured ones go for $100+. Multiply by 2-3 times for petshop prices. I have seen blueys advertised for $10-20 heaps of times too. Lizards are alot of work and most ppl want to move them on, not everyone is into reptiles to get every little penny they can out of it. Its not uncommon for ppl to give reptiles away.

blue tounges sell fo 30 dollars at some of the places here in adelaide, not places i would buy from

but i have seen them advertised at northside pets etc

oh and a few places here also sell waterskinks for about 20-30 each

Surely you are not refering to blueys? They have got to be the hardiest, easiest to house, feed and clean up after (using Aspen bedding as substrate).

I think he would be meaning vitticeps and other lizards like that.

I think he would be meaning vitticeps and other lizards like that.

Whats hard about keping centrals ? Gee if cleaning a bit of poo and providing food and correct conditios is to hard get a gold fish beardys and blueys are ideal to start out with and if your patient they can be reatively cheap when there is an abundance of them for sale

Surely you are not refering to blueys? They have got to be the hardiest, easiest to house, feed and clean up after (using Aspen bedding as substrate).

Yes they are easy to look after, i wasnt suggesting otherwise, but many breeders have much more to look after and they are quite a bit of work. I was refering to reptiles in general, other species like beardies are alot more hassle as they like to eat each others body parts.

Whats hard about keping centrals ? Gee if cleaning a bit of poo and providing food and correct conditios is to hard get a gold fish beardys and blueys are ideal to start out with and if your patient they can be reatively cheap when there is an abundance of them for sale

Keeping centrals would be harder then a bluey.. if you have breeding pairs + hatchlings its time consuming.. I didn't mean extremely hard lol... but they can be a handful when you have more then a pair or so of them.

Well if you read his post he is short on cash and 10 yrs old He is not going to be struggling with hatchies unless someone sells him a gravid female on the cheap.

Well if you read his post he is short on cash and 10 yrs old He is not going to be struggling with hatchies unless someone sells him a gravid female on the cheap.

I know that.. I just said that compared to a bluey they are "harder" and are more demanding.

go with a bluey, if you wait for the right one, you can pick it up for maybe 10 dollars, ive seen them free to good home from people that have trouble getting rid of them. but bluies are your best bet, then you can just throw together a small outdoor thing(metre square) just use some scrap wood from a construction site. build a frame(get your dad to help) put some mesh around the sides and top(about 6 dollars from bunnings) and your done, feed it whatever you want, they are like garbage disposal units:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back