UV Lighting for new setup

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fireflyshuffle

Reaction score
hey guys, i currently have been setting up a new three tier four foot tank, a will be putting pythons in, centralian and two blonde macs, one in each. but i wanted to know, whats the most usefull uv lighting for reptiles?i already have 24 inch uv fittings wired up, but need to know would i be better to get outback mx 5.0 or 10.0 for snakes? i wasnt sure if i got the 10.0 it would b to bright for them, what does everyone else use for blonde mac and bredlis?

Hi Shnakey

The different % output of the UV doesnt change the physical luminosity of the fluoro. So they will all generally be the same bringthness.

I would go with the Aussie Suns, just match the UV Index to the locale of the species and away you go.
So for the bredli
http://wehaveitall.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=950
And for the macs
http://wehaveitall.com.au/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=954

One thing to consider with vertically stacked enclosures is how you heat them as the heat from the bottom one is going to heat the one above.

All the best with it.

Cheers

Is their more UV in central Australia than on the coast?

are you seriously asking whether the UVB index of central australia is higher than what it would be in temperate cooler regions or regions of higher vegetation?

I thought Diamonds were the only snake, if any that needed UV, and even that seems to be argued.

Yes, seriously.
What im asking is if theres more (stronger what ever) UV In Central Australia (home of the bredli)
compared to Coastal Australia (basically the home of spotted pythons)?

I didn't say anything about vegetation, not sure why you mention it, direct sunlight is direct sunlight.

I'm just a mere layman, so feel free to fill me in.

I thought Diamonds were the only snake, if any that needed UV, and even that seems to be argued.

There doesnt appear to be any solid research at current which confirms or denies the need for UVB for pythons.

I personally provide simply because they evolved in an environment of UV radiation, so though i can say with some certainty that it isnt going to be fatal to them in the normal life cycle if i do provide it, i cant 100% count out that if i dont provide it that there wont be adverse health issues.

At the moment it is something that we simply dont know with scientific certainty.

So for the sake of $25 i just provide it.

dense vegitation will prevent sunlight from getting through to the ground. where in central australia there is little to no vegitation meaning direct sunlight is greater there for uv exposure is much greater. but as is said before to my understanding snakes dont require uv

Yes, seriously.
What im asking is if theres more (stronger what ever) UV In Central Australia (home of the bredli)
compared to Coastal Australia (basically the home of spotted pythons)?

I didn't say anything about vegetation, not sure why you mention it, direct sunlight is direct sunlight.

I'm just a mere layman, so feel free to fill me in.

Ok i will try to keep this short so that we arent hijacking a thread...

Though the solar radiation to any particular latitude may be similar along that latitude, there are a number of factors which retard the UVB received at any given point.

One of the largest factors is vegetation cover. So the UVB level at ground level for the coast is going to be lower than desert simply because of greater amounts of vegetation.

Secondly, atmosphere, the coast will have far higher humidity, simply because it is the coast and the rainfall. than the humidity in central australia. The "thicker" atmosphere causes UVB that reaches the ground to lower.

There are a number of other factors as well altitiude etc which change things.

Cheers

hey guys, i currently have been setting up a new three tier four foot tank, a will be putting pythons in, centralian and two blonde macs, one in each. but i wanted to know, whats the most usefull uv lighting for reptiles?i already have 24 inch uv fittings wired up, but need to know would i be better to get outback mx 5.0 or 10.0 for snakes? i wasnt sure if i got the 10.0 it would b to bright for them, what does everyone else use for blonde mac and bredlis?

Save yourself some money and give the UV globes a miss.If you want to provide some UV you can always give them 10 minutes outside once or twice a week.

shnakey, I personally would go for the 10 in the Bredls cage and 5's in the macs cages. This would be for no other reason then some of the suggestions I've seen around that higher UV exposure can bring out a Bredls colours (i.e. to experiment :) ).

There is no proof that UV light is a necessity for pythons (in fact most breeders don't bother with UV). I provide it because I feel it has the potential to buffer dietary mistakes and because UV globes tend to have a far better colour rendering index making my pythons look better :)

Thanks for the replys guys, not so much on the smart "unhelpfull" ones but your info was much appreciated. As for them not needing UV , yes i know they do not require it and they do get sunned weekly but as slothhead also explained, i like to have it in as part of being natural. I already bought the fittings and fitted them so id prefer not to just "take them out". Slothhead your info was great thanks heaps.

Chimera - I also agree with that, i put a uv light on my 3yr old bredli and within 3 weeks i said to my partner "why does he looks so different lately" she said hes uv i think. turned out 3 months down the track hes now a brilliant bright red. He used to be a VERY dark classic. i have pics to prove!! so thanks , i like to do the same and provide uv lights.

Yeah if you can chuck up some pics that would be good.

dense vegitation will prevent sunlight from getting through to the ground. where in central australia there is little to no vegitation meaning direct sunlight is greater there for uv exposure is much greater. but as is said before to my understanding snakes dont require uv

But Bredli don't just sit out there in the heat of the day, they would be found hidden in a rock crevice or within tree branches, which would shield them from too much UV exposure.
The same can be said of other species of python's which when all said and done spend most of there time sleeping during the day, just coming out initially to bask and warm up.

At the end of the day it is a personal preference thing, personally I think that it isn't required, and wouldn't use anymore than a 2-5%uvb tube on any snake species, I would use the light purely to illuminate the enclosure and give them a good photoperiod.

Of course the UVA component of the tube maybe of more use, as it is proved to provide heightened colour and increased appetite in many species, so that's an added benefit to.

Neil

pics a yr ago

heres a pic of nev when he never had a uv light sorry for poor pic quality but all pics were taken with same camera

Most reptiles need to synthesize vitamin D3 in thier skin for healthy growth for which UV light falling within a particular wave band known as UVB is required. Though a commercial supplement can be given studies have indicated that this dietry D3 cannot replace the D3 synthesised from the sunlight even in cases of a injectable supplement of D3 there is a short fall. Obviously different animals from different areas need differring amounts of UVB light, Desert dwelling animals (mainly Lizards, Dragons blue tongues and other skinks as well as freshwater turtles) need up to 12% UVB in a full spectrum lamp which will provide excellent colour rendering bringing out the most vivid colours of the reptile and the enviroment. A full spectrum lamp provides at least 25% UVA light which enhance the colours seen by the reptile, reptile eyesight is different to our own and they see colours much brighter than us, without UVA light it would be like living in a house with all the blinds and doors shut.
Forest Dwelling and temperate dwelling species requireless UVB light around 6% with a full spectrum lamp that replicates typical daylight conditions. Ideal for forest lizards and water dragons and diurnal geckos.
Most pythons fall into a group with other snakes, amphibians, spiders and insects, and nocturnal species. They require a most lower output of UVB in the range of 2% and a UVB range of around 10% this gives them the a light that is close to natural sunlight.
The correct lighting will help maintain the health and behavioural and physiological well being of your snake. There are plenty of choices out there for the lighitng and plenty advice ask around and talk to people who sell use and manufacture the products and do not skimp on the cost it could make the difference of 'happy' animals or animals living in shadows.
I recommend Arcadia i use them for all my fish tanks and find them to be reliable, they do cost a bit more than and average light but there is a big difference in quality, your local pet store should have a natural sunlight 2%UVB full spectrum lamp 600mm for between $30 and $40, or could possibly get one in for you, remember that a small independant store that wants your business is more likely to 'haggle' than a chain store.
Hope this info is of some help.
Cheers Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back