can anyone identify

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mom_Dunn

Reaction score
Hi, I live in Costa Rica and have a picture of a small, (approx. 14 inch) snake that I would like to know if anyone can identify. We live on the northwest pacific coast, it is dry tropical enviroment, 6 months dry and 6 months of rain.

Attachments

• PA281324.jpg
    PA281324.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 341
I believe its an unusual cotoration of a Coral snake or even a species of the false Coral Snake.

Marc

Last edited:
Wow what a beautiful snake, obviously not one hundred percent sure but would possibly say a Western Long Nose snake (Rhinochilus Leconti) of some type. The colouration and patternation seems about right along with the size, this is a much brighter snake than any pictures of these snakes i have seen before and may of just shed. Totally harmless somewhat mimiking a coral snake with colours though pattern is completely wrong. As I may be completely wrong.
Cheers,
Phil

All coral snakes follow a banded pattern of red - yellow - black - yellow, anything similar is a mimic

Wow what a beautiful snake, obviously not one hundred percent sure but would possibly say a Western Long Nose snake (Rhinochilus Leconti) of some type. The colouration and patternation seems about right along with the size, this is a much brighter snake than any pictures of these snakes i have seen before and may of just shed. Totally harmless somewhat mimiking a coral snake with colours though pattern is completely wrong. As I may be completely wrong.
Cheers,
Phil

it similar to a western long nose but its colors just arnt right for that either. not sure on what it is myself though

All coral snakes follow a banded pattern of red - yellow - black - yellow, anything similar is a mimic

That's a great way to get yourself bitten by one of the several species of Coral Snakes that don't follow that rule :)

I would hazard to guess it in the Rhinobothryum family. a juvenile snake will be much boldly coloured. Saying that, there are probably over 30 sp of Micrurus (Coral Snakes) in SA that vary greatly... generally though, they have blunter tails. Your best bet would be to send the photo's to a Museum for proper ID.

Last edited:
i have been doing some searches for snakes in costa rica, and man you guys have some cool stuff eyelash vipers and corals and vine snakes i mean check this dude out.

Attachments

• oxyaen1.jpg
    oxyaen1.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 154
Harlequin snake
Scolecophis atrocinctus

It's a colubrid and a coral snake mimic.

By the way, anyone that follows the 'red to black venom lack/friend of jack, red to yellow kill a fellow' rule has been reading too many American books. In the USA there are only two species of coral snake, both of which have red and yellow bands side by side, and several species of harmless colubrids in which the red and black bands are side by side. In Latin America there are are 50+ species of coral snake and they come in every combination of colours, including combinations in which the red and black bands are side by side. Some species only have red and black bands so the red and black bands have to be side by side, yet they are venomous.There are also harmless mimics that look almost identical until you examine head scalation.

No, he's right Ash, after all, its not an Oz snake, so how could anyone on this Forum possibly ID it.:lol:

Wow so us Aussies only know our own snakes - You may but I bet there are heaps that know not only our snakes but also others, and loads of Aussies herpers travel over seas to see other herps.

Harlequin snake
Scolecophis atrocinctus

It's a colubrid and a coral snake mimic.

By the way, anyone that follows the 'red to black venom lack/friend of jack, red to yellow kill a fellow' rule has been reading too many American books. In the USA there are only two species of coral snake, both of which have red and yellow bands side by side, and several species of harmless colubrids in which the red and black bands are side by side. In Latin America there are are 50+ species of coral snake and they come in every combination of colours, including combinations in which the red and black bands are side by side. Some species only have red and black bands so the red and black bands have to be side by side, yet they are venomous.There are also harmless mimics that look almost identical until you examine head scalation.

Yes, you are right.
It is sometimes called the centipede snake. Colourful critter!

Neil

Thank you everyone, from what i have read it is better to not take a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back