Burning incense in same room as snakes enclosure

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sel

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Just a quick question

I like burning incense, but since having my snake i havent dared burn any. She lives in the loungeroom and i usually put the incense in the diningroom which isnt far from her enclosure.

Do you think itd be safe to burn around her? While she is in her enclosure of course.

I'm not a fan of the smoke, so I use oil burners.
Haven't had any problems so far.

Burning anything that is inhaled by a human can ultimately be harmful to the human. I don't know about the snake. However I inhale lots of things just not near my snakes, children or police.

i have always wondered this, as ar freshners ultimately smell like a bathroom, and that stuff bugs my nose..

ive always wanted to be a incence hippy, so im happy to see it wot harm the reptiles.

Awesome , thanks guys :D

Sturdy.. you have smelly snakes??

next time your beardie takes a dump stick your head inside the enclosure an get a nice big mouthful of it....yummy.

Burning anything that is inhaled by a human can ultimately be harmful to the human. I don't know about the snake. However I inhale lots of things just not near my snakes, children or police.

atleast you have your head on stright in regards to how you keep your habbits away from young impressionable minds.....

Last edited:
You could try something that produces less smoke (all smoke is bad for you and anything else that breathes).. like potpourrie (probably mutilated the spelling there).

HAHAHAHHAHA

Don't burn incense! Just spray deodorant.

ive always wanted to be a incence hippy, so im happy to see it wot harm the reptiles.

What your willing to accept other forum users opinions with out zillions of
documented studies, and random links to American or European info..
Hell frozen over or something young kirby? :lol:

I hate that sickly sweet stench of incence. It makes your home stink like an unwashed hippy and is a big indicator that someone is smoking pot in the house and using that rubbish to "cover the smell"

maybe opening the windows once in a while would get rd of the smoke and the smells :D

I hate that sickly sweet stench of incence. It makes your home stink like an unwashed hippy and is a big indicator that someone is smoking pot in the house and using that rubbish to "cover the smell"
:D

Yeah, I can relate to that, growing up in Cronulla back in the day... but now it reminds me a Bali, they use it everywhere in their Hindu offerings.......and to cover up the sickly stench of their open sewerage "system".

Reptiles have a very primitive and inneficient respiratory system that is very prone to damage from any inhaled foreign substances. Oil burners and incense fall very well within this category and are not considered healthy in the long term for your reptile. Remember, you can leave the room and get fresh air, they cannot.

Reptiles have a very primitive and inneficient respiratory system that is very prone to damage from any inhaled foreign substances. Oil burners and incense fall very well within this category and are not considered healthy in the long term for your reptile. Remember, you can leave the room and get fresh air, they cannot.

Good advice Geckodan.

Personally I can't see that it would be good for reptiles long term either, especially when in a confined space.

Neil

maybe opening the windows once in a while would get rd of the smoke and the smells :D
how did you know my trick? mind reader i hope mum doesnt catch on to my cover up plan...
jokes

Regardless of the potential respiratory issues I don't agree with burning incense anywhere near a captive animal. Incense is essentially smoke, a wild animals response to smoke is danger (i.e. bushfire) and I think you'll find a very primitive instinct to flee, in an escape proof cage I feel this would only induce stress.

how did you know my trick? mind reader i hope mum doesnt catch on to my cover up plan...
jokes
haha its an old method of cover up that in my opinion makes it much more obvious..
your mum might be using Glen 20 (or similar) to cover up any of her activities from you too :lol:

Regardless of the potential respiratory issues I don't agree with burning incense anywhere near a captive animal. Incense is essentially smoke, a wild animals response to smoke is danger (i.e. bushfire) and I think you'll find a very primitive instinct to flee, in an escape proof cage I feel this would only induce stress.

that sounds logical in theory. In any case I dont think burning any substance could be good for animals. And incense is manufactured in third world countries that wouldn't probably have any quality control for human medicine products let alone incense. It could have cow dung mixed in and also burning happily away in your bedroom, leaving its cow dung smell impregnated in every item of clothing you own. :D

Last edited:
maybe insence wouldnt be good for it because compared to some fragrances its particles are quite heavy and could cause respiratory irritation, maybe those new candles that are out would be better? the ones that melt into an oil and slowly release the fragrance, there wouldnt be the risk of 'smoke' and maybe the slight smell change would be interesting for your reptile? so long as its not too overwhelming since they have a fairly strong sense of smell.. just sumthin to think about =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back