Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will you be crossing your subspecies??

• Yes, I look forward to creating something unique and interesting.

Votes: 110 17.1%
  • I would consider it if I thought there was a market for them.

Votes: 38 5.9%
  • I would consider it if they looked really good.

Votes: 96 14.9%
  • No, I would never ever do it, keep things pure IMO.

Votes: 290 45.0%
  • I would keep one as a pet, but would never breed it.

Votes: 110 17.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh and don't keep your hamster in with the snake for too long as it could lead to yet further unwanted hybrids as in this instance in Romania. It has to be said that it certainly looks cute and could double up as a scarf too which is pretty handy if you are subjected to cold winters!

128980_8492_600x1000.jpg

Now I do like that idea, we have a few drafty doors and if you could get them to lie still it would be the perfect solution.

Hey I'm new here so take it easy on me, and if this is against the rules let me know and i'll take it down, but i'd be interested to know what people's opinions are about the following advertisement i've seen doing the rounds on a couple of reputable sites

http://reptilesdownunder.com/ahc/animal.php?saleID=22442

Last time I checked Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli was a coastal carpet python, and Morelia S. Spilota was a diamond python; so why are these people referring to "Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli/Spilota" as "NORTHERN RAINFOREST DIAMONDS"?

Hey I'm new here so take it easy on me, and if this is against the rules let me know and i'll take it down, but i'd be interested to know what people's opinions are about the following advertisement i've seen doing the rounds on a couple of reputable sites

http://reptilesdownunder.com/ahc/animal.php?saleID=22442

Last time I checked Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli was a coastal carpet python, and Morelia S. Spilota was a diamond python; so why are these people referring to "Morelia Spilota Mcdowelli/Spilota" as "NORTHERN RAINFOREST DIAMONDS"?

They would probably be natural intergrades,ie.Port Mac carpets, but without knowing the history behind them I am only guessing. The Natural intergrades haven't been allocated a scientific name as far as I am aware, so that may be the reason they have listed it the way they have.

Interesting to look at the Poll up top.
Pretty much 50% would keep them or breed them.

Wow! Just goes to show that maybe aussies are mellowing towards the old cross breeds.

At least there is 50% at the moment that will keep there lines pure to.

Wonder if the stats will remain the same over the next couple of years once more cross breeds show themselves in more numbers?

Neil

Yes, Northern rainforest diamonds is a name some people are giving to intergrade carpets. Nice ones though....

They're not classed as their own subspecies. As far as I know anyway, and I don't think they will be since there's no real definition between diamonds, coastals and intergrades. Some areas close to the intergrade zone, but not in it, can pop up with an intergrade looking animal occasionally. Similarly you'll sometimes find a python in the intergrade zone that looks like a pure diamond or coastal.

Or at least that's my understanding of it all.

um... "knock knock"

is it wrong to have cross breeds of animals? like snakes?

if so why? is it because of the eco-system? things might become unbalanced? the food chain might be effected?

or is it the health of the snakes at risk? evolution ?

i dont know, just an innocent question.

humans are crossbreeding like rabbits these days though.... i dont mind it.... but why do humans see cross breeding of animals something out of the ordinary?

humans are crossbreeding like rabbits these days though.... i dont mind it.... but why do humans see cross breeding of animals something out of the ordinary?

How is a White person haveing kids with a Black person wrong? They are both humans.
Its just the same as Breeding a Black Staffy with a White staffy..

x breed or don't xbreed who cares not me :shock: :lol:

Last edited:
surely animals that breed in captivity will breed are able to breed of their own accord in the wild - creating their own species mix?

surely animals that breed in captivity will breed are able to breed of their own accord in the wild - creating their own species mix?

Just not all the bredli can afford the airfare to make the trip to go mate with the jungles in Cairns or the diamonds in Jervis Bay!

I'm for pure lines, however, I see nothing wrong with people breeding and selling X's provided they are honest and up front the the purchase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back