blonde macS PLEASE HELP

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Neil Cass (NCHERPS on this site) has bred a few clutches of blonde macs this season. You should contact him to enquire about a getting a blonde mac. Reputable breeder who would give you all the right advice.

Now that is good advice if everyone gave that sort of advice instead of just bagging people out this would be a much more valuable resource, Great job bearded lady.
*I'm going to crawl back into my cage now*

Honestly, the best advice I can give you is not to start keeping snakes with a week old non feeder. That's not critiscism, judgement, censure or superiority speaking. From my experience there's little if any difference in basic care for macs as opposed to any other commonly kept python other than cage size if we're being pedantic. Yes, you could possibly take this hatchling as is and successfully care for it. Possibly. But hatchling Antaresia of any kind in my experience have always been a pain in the tukhas to get feeding and it just seems like something that may in the end make enjoying your first pet of this kind much more difficult than need be. Surely it wouldn't be a problem for the breeder to hold on the the hatchy to get it feeding?

yeah i do know that but as i have never had hatchies at work as we dont have a breeding program in place for them yet and the snakes we have are very big and old, they were there before i was and we have not yet had any new ones to the ffamily,what is this ia critisim forum or snake one, i want to make sure i am doing everything right and have been told many conflicting things so i want to see what everyone else thhinks is that a crime to want a bit of help, and i have never had blonde macs in my care befor. so thanks for the advice and critisim but i am not the novice u think i am and i do belive that at some stage u wuld have been learning bout stuff and would not have appreciated people being a holes about asking a simple question!!!!!

yeah i do know that but as i have never had hatchies at work as we dont have a breeding program in place for them yet and the snakes we have are very big and old, they were there before i was and we have not yet had any new ones to the ffamily,what is this ia critisim forum or snake one, i want to make sure i am doing everything right and have been told many conflicting things so i want to see what everyone else thhinks is that a crime to want a bit of help, and i have never had blonde macs in my care befor. so thanks for the advice and critisim but i am not the novice u think i am and i do belive that at some stage u wuld have been learning bout stuff and would not have appreciated people being a holes about asking a simple question!!!!!

you keep quoting the same thing over and over...

it seems to me that There are many people on this forum who feel they the only experts around, and think anybody new to keeping herps as pets are novice with no knowledge at all. Most responsible animal handlers do a lot of research on keepign the species of animal before getting that animal. I joined this forum in the hope that maybe I would be able to benefit from the people who have more practical experience then me.
With every question posed on here there are many people who just wish to bag out the poser of that question, then argue that we are just trying to better the hobby, i can't see how bagging out newcomers and making them feel stupid.
There are many people on here who are willing to offer the right advice but scrolling through pages of crap make picking the honest answers hard.
Most answers too are never given with an explaination as why they do or do not use something, and a I don't use and I know everything attitude seems to exist.
Jiemoulin asked a simple question on heating for hatchlings yet has got an answer of use a heat mat with very little explaination and told that due to inexperience and being a novice you must be stupid not to get a hatchling even though it sounds they have an excellent support network are experienced in handling reptiles and confident that they could suceed in raising a hatchling, why does everyone need to be so untrusting when someone says they can handle it why not believe them and give them the support and advice they need to do the best by the animal?

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!! i would not be looking for a hatchie if i di not think i were capable of taking care of it, though after all of this discussions today we have agreeded on getting one a few months older just to ensure its feeding well andthen next season go for a hatchie, i really appreciate your support and totaly agree that people need to help more than critise everyone!!!
thanks again for the advice and support!!!! we appreciate it you are one of few that has actualy given us productive feed back!!

The main thing that i have picked up here is that they were going to buy a 7 day old hatchie. Now at 7 days old the hatchie will only barley have had its first shed and there
is an extreemly slim chance though not likley it may have just taken its first feed. Now for someone who has only worked in a place that dosent have a breeding programme and has only mature snakes to be looked after its a huge ask to try and take on a hatchie Anteresia
of 7 days old. They are amoungst the hardest of our pythons to get to feed and to get feeding regularly.
The person thats selling hatchies so young need to take a more responsable approach and not sell hatchies that dont have an established husbandry record!
While its a good thing that research is being done into what is needed to keep a snake
there is no need to rush into something that you may regret to early.
As has been stated there will be a hell of a lot of established hatchies to choose from in the comming months, Be patient and make a sound decision not a rushed one

thanks we have agreeded that one a few months older and with an established feeding record will be better, thanks for the reply

So let me get this straight...

You ask for advice.
Got some feedback.
Didn't like it.
Got offended, and started rambling and repeating yourself? (And yes, I'm aware that your computer froze...)

I am not being offensive but if you took the time to read what was posted in this thread you would have noticed that basically everyone was saying:-
-If your seller is telling you (and wanting to sell you) a 7 day old hatchling that has had a few feeds, they are telling you porkie pies as that basically doesn't ever happen.
-Even if it did happen, it probably wouldn't be a good idea.

No one is questioning your experience with animals.
We are all responding to the information that was presented to us.

Don't get offended. Just learn.

/end of my 2 cents

Last edited:
yeah sorry my computer froze and i clicked on post like 5 times and it sent it through heaps of times sorry :)

No it didnt. You were bumping. ;)

Jiemoulin, a lot of people have tried to help you. Lots of advice, despite what TweedRivers might say (though he does have some really good points). For mine, your whole situation seems a bit jittery though? For someone working with reptiles, and surely surrounded by experts, you have next to no knowledge and prepared to throw yourself in the deep end with a more expensive, week-old hatchy. For all the wrong reasons too, in a sense.
After some people replied to you, you would then argue, and reitterate a fluctuating price range for a wanted spotted. 180, 200-300, 180. You know? Jittery.

For what it's worth, Ive only ever owned juvies/adults. I will be getting a Spotted hatchling for my daughter (14yo) this season that should be right to go late Jan. Off a reputable breeder that will ensure at least two feeds, and provides a short-term guarantee.
I used the search function to search for info on click-clacks/heat mats/cords etc etc, and found other info elsewhere, got John Weigels book and generally spent the rest of the time googling, making phone calls and meeting people. Meeting people is the best thing, as anyone with a good solid interest and knowledge doesnt mind imparting it! :D
I'm 2 months off getting our hatchie and I have all the equipment in place and a good understanding. If you look and you aren't in a hurry, it's all there for you.

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!! i would not be looking for a hatchie if i di not think i were capable of taking care of it, though after all of this discussions today we have agreeded on getting one a few months older just to ensure its feeding well andthen next season go for a hatchie, i really appreciate your support and totaly agree that people need to help more than critise everyone!!!
thanks again for the advice and support!!!! we appreciate it you are one of few that has actualy given us productive feed back!!

A newborn snake is different to a hatchy. When most people talk about hatchies it is at least a month or two old, and has a good shedding and feeding record.

The snake you want is a week old, as others have said I highly doubt it has had ANY feed yet, nor had its first shed. You are asking for trouble getting this snake, you have to think about the animals welfare before YOUR wants.. what happens if you can't successfuly get it feeding? And being antaresia there is even more chance you will have trouble, they are known for being notoriously difficult to get feeding as hatchlings.

Just get an older hatchling which has a good record, saves alot of stress on the poor snake. There are plently of people around breeding them at the moment and who have some for sale.

Generally if a lot of people are saying the same thing in regards to the situation, they are going to be right.. I suggest you take the advice you asked for.

No it didnt. You were bumping. ;)

Jiemoulin, a lot of people have tried to help you. Lots of advice, despite what TweedRivers might say (though he does have some really good points). For mine, your whole situation seems a bit jittery though? For someone working with reptiles, and surely surrounded by experts, you have next to no knowledge and prepared to throw yourself in the deep end with a more expensive, week-old hatchy. For all the wrong reasons too, in a sense.
After some people replied to you, you would then argue, and reitterate a fluctuating price range for a wanted spotted. 180, 200-300, 180. You know? Jittery.

For what it's worth, Ive only ever owned juvies/adults. I will be getting a Spotted hatchling for my daughter (14yo) this season that should be right to go late Jan. Off a reputable breeder that will ensure at least two feeds, and provides a short-term guarantee.
I used the search function to search for info on click-clacks/heat mats/cords etc etc, and found other info elsewhere, got John Weigels book and generally spent the rest of the time googling, making phone calls and meeting people. Meeting people is the best thing, as anyone with a good solid interest and knowledge doesnt mind imparting it! :D
I'm 2 months off getting our hatchie and I have all the equipment in place and a good understanding. If you look and you aren't in a hurry, it's all there for you.

i know its "jittery cause i keep getting hit with someone saying macs ae 300 then 200 then 180 and god i ahve no idea i have never bought a snake for myself!!! i just feed them and maintain the enclosure!!!! though i do know a bit about them through books and reaseach and my partner works with them to. its hard to explain everything i have and want or know in a paragraph to,
though after much thought and discussion we are getting a yearling, we were going for a hatchie as we thoght that is all availiable this time of year.
thanks for the advice though i appreciate it, and your right i think i wold be more productive doing a bit of one on one research rather than posts as you just get to many ranadoms thinking they know it all and just wanting an arguement.
thanks again,

as said before, you can still get a hatchy, its just risky getting a week old one due to feeding etc..... i got my hatchy spotted when he was 6 months old.. i still count him as a hatchy now coz hes only 11 months old...
each to their own.

Sorry. Last thing I want to do is sound critical, or should do for that matter.:oops:
I guess what is typed doesnt always sound the same when it is read.:oops:
Your question is as valid as any one elses and your right, it's a snake forum.
Welcome to APS:)

Sorry. Last thing I want to do is sound critical, or should do for that matter.:oops:
I guess what is typed doesnt always sound the same when it is read.:oops:
Your question is as valid as any one elses and your right, it's a snake forum.
Welcome to APS:)

hey no worries, was just flabergasted to see how much wasteful criticism was ouyt there,
i know it probably does sound weird wen someone says they are giving their hatchie 2 a 18 month old, but yeah its for them to grow up together, and wen she is old enough she will get the snake but that wil be with supervision from us to.
its hard to put all ur knowledge and wants in a single paragraph, and i see how people can misinterprut it, its just hard on the other side wen u know that not waat u r trying to do or people completly get the wrong i dea.
anyways thanks for the reply i appreciate it and have decicded to get a 10 month old blondie am picking him up in 2 weeks. :D:D:D

thanks agagin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back