Rodent Killer Wanted in Sydney!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rhetty

Reaction score
I have rats in my ceiling for 3 weeks now and it is driving me crazy!!!

I just wanted to throw this one out there...

Does anyone have a snake that wants to have a bit of fun in my ceiling for a few hours? I don't want to bait the rats, rather do it the natural way.

I am happy to pay the owner if they bring their snake over to my place. I am located in Avalon, Sydney.

LOL rhetty, I've just moved to Newport from Av and we had rats in our roof driving us crazy for a while. You haven't just moved into a rental at north Av have you?

According to a few people, shed snake skins will deter rats, also snake poo. We tried both with no success, but you are welcome to collects some skins and poo from us!

If you are lucky, a hungry wild Diamon Python might move in and solve your problem, but snakes aren't reliable enough to come when they are called, and no owner is going to risk feeding wild rats (possibly poisoned or infested with worms) to their valuable and much loved pet.

Ahhhh, it was worth a try!!! My roof is really quite small, I live in a granny flat, for 5 months now.

I thought because my roof was so small there wouldn't be a problem getting your snake back!

Com'on, don't you want to give your snake a challenge? :)

I reckon it would be an awesome business... killing rats the ethical way! I googled but just found poison and bait trappers.

jessb - if I don't get any takers, I will come over and get some snake ****. Thanks!

stick a few traps up there, if you let a snake go to catch them, it is likely it will get away. it would be pretty cool though :)

Then what if the rats die up there? My place stinks for months!

At least a snake will take the rat with it!

I don't think too many people would be keen pitting their own pythons against some nasty rats that can a. fight back and b. not knowing what kind of crap the rats have been feeding on that could damage the snake.

Can't you get one of those live rat catchers. I think they had them at bunnings. Then you can let them go at someone elses house or kill them.

Good on you for thinking of a more natural way of eradicating them!

I have rats in my ceiling for 3 weeks now and it is driving me crazy!!!

I just wanted to throw this one out there...

Does anyone have a snake that wants to have a bit of fun in my ceiling for a few hours? I don't want to bait the rats, rather do it the natural way.

I am happy to pay the owner if they bring their snake over to my place. I am located in Avalon, Sydney.
you are an idiot

dont use baits! they are horrible! they affect more then just your rats!

get the spring traps (live catching ones) they are way more fun and at the end of the day, the rats are still alive, and then you can kill em and have em forsale on here LOL

I doubt you will get any takers on the snake action. Way too risky and no guarantee of success anyway.

Your options are:

1. Live catch traps - generally not very effective and very little chance that you will catch all of the rats. If you do catch them then you will need to kill them anyway as you cant let them go again as they are not native rats.

2. Snap kill traps - would be my recommendation. Cheap and easy to use. Just nail them to a board so the rats dont walk off with them and bait them with peanut butter. Not very nice, but effective.

3. Baits - not the nicest to think about but definitely the easiest, quickest, and most effective way of dealing with the problem.

To help prevent a reoccurence make sure you cut back any branches that are at roof level. It wont stop them but will help to deter them from being replaced by newcomers.

Get snap kill traps,

I had mice in the garage this year and put the snap traps in there, amd got each one of the little buggers.

We've had rat problems and suffered thousands of dollars of damage after one chewed through the dishwasher hose. At that time we were using snap traps and putting shake sheds around. Now we have bait stations from a professional exterminator. He threw baits around in our roof and they were all gone within a fortnight. Since the second lot of roof baiting, we have just got outdoor stations. We have three bait stations that are regularly refilled outside. They are secure so the dogs don't get into them. We occasionally find a dead rat, but haven't had the problem with stinking in the roof area. Don't muck around, get the agent or landlord to pay for professional baits. They are much cheaper than the repairs!

Grab a couple of snake poos, and perhaps a shed skin or two............. place them strategically around in the roof............. no more rats!!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back