Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw this thread had 99 posts so just had to push it into tripple digits.
A lot of us have'nt got the cash that some people have.
We have to wait a year or two for prices to drop so that we can afford to buy them.
People with to much money forget this small issue and think that because they can afford it, than everybody else can - wrong !!
You'll find that most people need to save their money and have a target item in mind.
This could take weeks, months or years.
I keep this in mind when selling alot of my reptiles and have helped out of few people here or there when I can.
Breeders in it for the $$$ and the high returns will feel the pinch in the next few years.
Cant wait to be paying $500 for a GTP.....................I will wait that long.............;)

I agree with saving before you buy things, furniture included, but then be happy with your purchase, dont live in fear of the price falling because in nine out of ten cases that is what will happen. I hope when you buy your $500 GTPs they dont fall to $400 the next year but there is a chance they may.

Here's a 2 year old female[pure sorong] [500 grams] that shed last night, the sorong gtp's are noticable by the blue dorsal diamonds down their back, black tale tip and are slightly smaller , they are very easy to keep [temps 26-31] and high humidity...WR ...ps double click on the pic to enlarge it...

Nice looking python.
Where does a "pure sorong" come from? Are they native?
Just curious:D

Its amazing how some of the people that have the money to pay for these snakes, have been elevated to expert keepers when they have only had a few years of keeping snakes in general. Keeping an expensive snake does not automatically make you an expert. Especially when most snakes these days have been bred several generations in a row to make them more hardy to life in captivity. If you have money you can also pay someone that knows what he or she is doing to breed your reptiles for you. I take my hat off to any private keeper that has funded his own small projects and been successful in breeding their pair of greens. I also admire the fact that they are selling their animals for what they think is a fair price to allow other keepers to enjoy these amazing animals at a more reasonable price. I am all for expensive rare snakes, but greens have just never fallen in this class to me. Aussies or non-Aussie, Morelia viridis stays Morelia viridis. You can always see who the ones are that have a bit to lose in these threads, they are the ones who pipe up about how it wont effect the prices later in the season. This rubbish of good lines that dont prolapse, all nonsense to keep the price inflated. Why do you have to pay thousands more for a snake because someone says they dont prolapse, would a breeder ever admit to that??? I say go the lower prices!!!

Its amazing how some of the people that have the money to pay for these snakes, have been elevated to expert keepers when they have only had a few years of keeping snakes in general. Keeping an expensive snake does not automatically make you an expert. Especially when most snakes these days have been bred several generations in a row to make them more hardy to life in captivity. If you have money you can also pay someone that knows what he or she is doing to breed your reptiles for you. I take my hat off to any private keeper that has funded his own small projects and been successful in breeding their pair of greens. I also admire the fact that they are selling their animals for what they think is a fair price to allow other keepers to enjoy these amazing animals at a more reasonable price. jquote]

Well Said Cordylus:) What money can do even in the herp scene;)

Leigh

Lifes Choices

In this thread there seems to be a few green eyes [jealous people] who are down on anyone who have had geens and bred them, well my take on this is we all make choices some of us the wrong ones and MOST [but not all] easy ones and then when someone appears to be making a dollar they are down on them for basically two reasons [1] they are jealous [but didn't want to do the hard yards or take a huge risk.. [2] is basically the first reason only they accuse others [not themselves] as not caring about animals and only in it for the dollar...and l don,t mind saying it l did,t see any of this [ "group....the poor little me's "] climbing over rocks and scrub in the far north of W.A. and establishing a new captive breed of python or paying big bucks for greens early in the piece.....my final bit is remember variety creates passion, if everybody loved the one particular type of snake it would be a boring hobby.................cheers solar 17 [Baden]

But exactly how much is climbing over rocks worth exactly??? There is nothing wrong with making money breeding reptiles. You have to have the pioneers in reptile keeping otherwise the hobby would not be where it is today. How many of the pioneers of Australian reptile keeping can you name that is making megabucks out of breeding rare pythons. There are a few of the so called big names that bought themselves into this hobby. And we all know who they are. Lets say the last 10 years, where were they before this. These are the people that make the biggest hype about price decreases, they have the most to lose as they invested so much in their initial outlay. Now lets all enjoy and watch how the market drops through the ground for this and other rare species.
We can all keep them then.

Price drop

Cordylus...you are right in a couple of instances, but it would appear l don't wish to see anybody suffer [as you pointed out] you do and one other point you forgot to mention l don't remember hearing or seeing ANYBODY being FORCED to purchase any herps, once again its the persons own CHOICE......cheers solar 17 [Baden]

If your one of those into snakes; greens in this case... 'just for money' (there's a lot of them)
If so I agree; suffer... they'll be a dime a dozen soon....it isn't all about bucks to some of us.
Good on those breeders for offering them to the public for a reasonable price.
At a couple grand a piece; even the average Joe can afford to save up and purchase one.
At a couple grand each; their still making a reasonable wage IMO;
and will easily recoup their initial outlay; even if they paid a fortune.
Those breeders that are asking stupid prices; are just greedy; nothing else....
These breeders may actually have to do some work now; line breeding etc....
not just claiming fame; or self importance for breeding a snake that's easily bred....the easy rides over.
Yes; there's quite a few experts out there these days....due to having deep pockets :rolleyes:

Prices

Its almost like $3000.00 for black and white jungles isn't it ???????....cheers solar 17 [Baden]

These breeders may actually have to do some work now; line breeding etc....
not just claiming fame; or self importance for breeding a snake that's easily bred....the easy rides over.
Yes; there's quite a few experts out there these days....due to having deep pockets :rolleyes:

Absolutely, It has always made me laugh how that if someone could afford to buy greens they were put on a pedestal and before long they even thought they were special because they owned them.
Deep pockets doesn't buy experience, it just buys you snakes.

I have more respect for people that are working with the rarer kept, more unusual species that are harder to breed, but which may sell off the offspring for little money.

That said, there are still alot of humble breeders of GTP's that do it more for the love of the species than the financial reward.

Neil

I saw this thread had 99 posts so just had to push it into tripple digits.

I agree with saving before you buy things, furniture included, but then be happy with your purchase, dont live in fear of the price falling because in nine out of ten cases that is what will happen. I hope when you buy your $500 GTPs they dont fall to $400 the next year but there is a chance they may.

Your missing the piont Wokka,
I could of bought them years ago mate, believe it or not, money is'nt the issue for me....:D
[ They are'nt the easiest snakes in the world to take care of at a young age, and before I fork out any money on any animal, I would want to be 100% certain that I can take good care of it ]
The point I was trying to get at is that not everyone can, therfore, the people who cant and have to wait till the prices drop should not be made to feel inferior in anyway - simple.
I buy all my reptiles because I enjoy the them, to me its a hobby not a business.
Cheers,
Aleks.

Its amazing how some of the people that have the money to pay for these snakes, have been elevated to expert keepers when they have only had a few years of keeping snakes in general. Keeping an expensive snake does not automatically make you an expert. Especially when most snakes these days have been bred several generations in a row to make them more hardy to life in captivity. If you have money you can also pay someone that knows what he or she is doing to breed your reptiles for you. I take my hat off to any private keeper that has funded his own small projects and been successful in breeding their pair of greens. I also admire the fact that they are selling their animals for what they think is a fair price to allow other keepers to enjoy these amazing animals at a more reasonable price. I am all for expensive rare snakes, but greens have just never fallen in this class to me. Aussies or non-Aussie, Morelia viridis stays Morelia viridis. You can always see who the ones are that have a bit to lose in these threads, they are the ones who pipe up about how it wont effect the prices later in the season. This rubbish of good lines that dont prolapse, all nonsense to keep the price inflated. Why do you have to pay thousands more for a snake because someone says they dont prolapse, would a breeder ever admit to that??? I say go the lower prices!!!

You hit the nail on head..................:D:D

But how many of these hatchling GTP would have had a probe shoved in them. So that JOE average who saves his $7000 to $10000 to buy his trio and ends up with three males. Gtp sales for a long time have been about prestige and money, for some to have this taken away will mean that a cheap GTP will have less time put into it and sold sooner becuase they are cheaper (of coures this is not every one). Then you are taking the word of the breeder that is all ok and when it is not it will be the buyers fault due to inncorrect temps, feeding technique, food supply or any other excuse they can give. I do not own GTPs but have seen the dark side of the GTP trade (and also the good side). There will be alot of new GTP owners who will get burnt with these cheaper prices. I do realise this happened prevously but generally it was more experienced keepers who were outlaying the money to buy. I will own some in the near future but I will pay the bit extra for established yearling plus animals that are well estabished. Just my opinion.

i dont think anyone is getting ripped off, i think people years ago definately were. people these days have more sense, have better resources for info and the equipment available is totally better.
i think that bringing the prices down is a normal progression, the more there are around the less they are worth, supply and demand. then something else will emerge as the leader and seemingly impossible to purchase. albinos for instance, what would be the price for an albino gtp if one was to fall onto the market.

Absolutely, It has always made me laugh how that if someone could afford to buy greens they were put on a pedestal and before long they even thought they were special because they owned them.
Deep pockets doesn't buy experience, it just buys you snakes.

Neil

I'm not sure who these "elevated" keepers are, so perhaps I'm a little misguided. However I am now in my 32nd year of keeping herps and am happy to admit that someone with a few years experience and a lot of money invested in their recent collection may very well know more about herps than I ever will. Owning hundreds/thousands of animals can possibly give you a vast amount of knowledge and learning. Time doesnt always equate to knowledge or experience. Sometimes it is a numbers game.

Fact , there have been recently heaps of illegally smuggled in juvenile green pythons and
this a huge reason why many people are selling greens cheap.
Another fact, there will be many disappointed buyers with disasters through disease just around the corner. Russian snake roulette, the question is, are you willing to play?

prices

Indicus...lt was you personally that quoted me $3000.00 ....posted by Indicus..................................
$3000???...more fool you; you've been ripped off :lol: and l chose not to purchase and to this day STILL don't own a jungle, but that's a choice we all have no one forces us to pay numerically high prices ......cheers solar 17 [BADEN]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back