Which to get, a bearded dragon or a blue tongue?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which should i get, Bearded Dragon or Blue Tongue Skink?

• Bearded Dragon

Votes: 42 72.4%
  • Blue Tongue

Votes: 16 27.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Should I get a Bearded Dragon or a Blue Tongue, also, which one has babies more often?

Blue tongues are easier to care for, they have live birth while beardies lay eggs. You shouldn't worry about breeding them till you get some experience with either one of them :)

Blue tongues are easier to care for, they have live birth while beardies lay eggs. You shouldn't worry about breeding them till you get some experience with either one of them :)
I know, im going to buy babies so I can raise them.

Beardies are so much more fun,heaps of personality and very active

I would have to agree we have a bluey and as much as we love to have him round he is quite boring Beardies are heaps of fun to watch feed and just the way they do things IMO

Lewy

go beardies, i find blueys really boring and really messy kept indoors. beardies are really funny especially when u get a pair the male just sits there bobbing and starts chasing the female everywhere . but also u wana get what u are gonna be happy with the most and be able to handle easier. i have been cut several times by a beardie just by its claws

You would be best starting with one central bearded dragon IMO. They are the better suited to handling and are quite easy to look after.

Bearded dragons cost more to feed I find but are much more interesting. I think its to do with their eyes - they look like miniture dinosaurs! :p

Blue tongues are not very good indoor reptiles. They tend to poo heaps more and when they do its very messy and dirty and well, its stinks. Bearded dragons poo is easy to clean up and doesn't hold that same smell. Blue tongues are great but if you have an outdoor pit.

At your age you should really think about breeding them. Build up your experiance first and wait til you will be able to buy all the equipment needed and then consider buying some animals and breeding your own morphs!

id saw beardies....they are very entertaining....i can watch mine for ages n be so so amused hahaha

I would definately agree that Blue tongues are much more suited to outdoor living. I have had my trio of Blotchies for 13 years and they are very happy in the bottom of my parrot aviary, the 2 females breed every other year Keeping them this way is extremely cheap, no supplemental heating, easy to feed on catfood and garden pests like snails etc. i have found blueys kept indoors just lack the lustre of outdoor animals they smell, seem to look dull. Outdoors is def the way to go.

Beardies on the other hand i have found much more entertaining. they will run up to the front off their cage when u arrive home, scratchin at the glass demanding attention!!! handle them gently and often and u will have a pet that settles down very well. the easiest way to a beardies heart is FOOD. this is definitely something to consider...... they eat ALOT!

i hope this reply and all the others helps you in your decision...... let us know what u decide!

ive got both i love them but ive had bearded dragons longer ive got 4
3 baby central and one 2yr old eastern beardie
but the bluey is cool but not as active i voted the dragons

Bearded dragons can have 15 babies in one clutch, sometimes more, but lewy is right, blueys are quite lazy, and although they can become VERY tame, Bearded Dragons are much more active and entertaining. Blueys also cost around the hundreds mark you can get a bearded dragon at a pet store for $60 easily!!

Good luck with it jorden.

S-buster.

They are both wonderful reptiles.
Seem to be able to interact with beardies and get a better response than with a bluetongue. They do have funny little characteristics as well but most of the time they will just slide around licking, beardeds are less limited with the ability to climb better and change colours.

As with stools, bluetongues do tend to do it more than beardeds as they get older, i actually haven't found much difference in the quality or smell but twice a week my adult beardeds get a relaxing bath and in the bath they do their business (eventually, sometimes it takes a few minutes) That way they never dirty in their enclosures, it's easy to dispose of, you simply dunk the bearded in clean warm water after they are done and your beardies clean.

Most adults i have found will do this if left in water for long enough that is levelled just below their heads.
This is all supervised ofcourse!

Get a central bearded (pogona vitticeps), just one to start off with.
Read everything there is to read about them, don't use sand as your bedding.
and any other questions about the care of beardeds i will be happy to answer.

Bearded dragons can have 15 babies in one clutch, sometimes more, but lewy is right, blueys are quite lazy, and although they can become VERY tame, Bearded Dragons are much more active and entertaining. Blueys also cost around the hundreds mark you can get a bearded dragon at a pet store for $60 easily!!

Good luck with it jorden.

S-buster.

i dunno how much they are where you live but for me 15 to 20 bucks is the norm

You have a much greater chance of keeping a skink alive. I'd estimate over half the hatchling beardies sold each year don't make 6 months of age.

You have a much greater chance of keeping a skink alive. I'd estimate over half the hatchling beardies sold each year don't make 6 months of age.

Well i've said bearded assuming they have done their research, if you know how to care for them they are quite simple to own.

i would go the bearded dragon as most people have said they are alot more active and have great personality

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back