Parvovirus Outbreak!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Being the paranoid person that I am, I was particularly paranoid about my pup picking up parvo when we got her about a year ago, and didn't want to take her to puppy pre-school as I thought it was a massive risk for her to be around other un-immunised dogs. Our vet said that in our area (Dandenong Ranges) the risk is so minimal it would be more detremental to risk an antisocial dog than to risk getting parvo - he said if we were in the Western suburbs it would be a different story. Does anyone know why some areas are more severely affected than others? Is it really a socio-economic thing? I'm not sure I entirely belive this as we're all pretty poor out east too!

Oh and another thing, our vet said rotties in particular don't hold up too well, so it wouldn't hurt to be extra careful if you keep rotties.

most puppy pre-schools & general obediance courses require you to bring you vaccine card from the vet to prove that they have had there injections. If they don't ask for it, then go to another course.
Better to be safe than sorry i say.

I have a number of dogs and go to dog shows often. Not only the breeders will tell you that the vaccination against parvo is not 100% but all the vets I went to also. It does however significantly reduce the chances of dogs getting parvo. So obviously you want to vaccinate them for that, but still it doesn't give you 100% guarantee. Since it is a VIRUS it can develop new strains.

The virus has 3 basic strains:
1. CVP2 which was the first one found in 1978
2. CVP2a came on the scene in the early 80's
3. The strain most prevalent today is CVP2b
Eventually a new strain will appear because the virus will adapt to the immune system of dogs.
The parvovirus can linger in the environment for many months, allowing it to affect other dogs. It can withstand common household disinfectants (except bleach) and can withstand freezing winter temperatures. It can be spread on the hair and feet of dogs, in addition to shoes, clothes, and eating utensils.
We tend to see parvo in dogs that have other diseases, especially intestinal parasites (worms). This might be because these dogs have immune systems that are weakened, making them more susceptible to a viral infection. Also, the parvo virus capitalizes on the fact that the lining of the intestines of these dogs with intestinal parasites are damaged and susceptible to the parvovirus.

http://conferences.vu.edu.au/VetVirol/Images/Presentations/Meers.pdf this is a good rough background of parvovirus for anyone who wishes to read it.

I would also like to add that with young pups the antibodies in the mothers milk can interfere with the vaccination which can lead to it not working and the death of the puppy hence why most vets will give a vaccination every couple of weeks to a pup.

well they have a new vacs now ,I just got my dogs done a few months ago ,the 2 year old was on the old vacs programme where he had a few leading up to 12 months ...but the pup she had 1 at 6 weeks and her next follow up injection was done @ 10-12 weeks and it lasts 3 years as does my 2 year olds ..the only thing I have to follow up every 12 months now is the nasal squirt.....

i love the nasal squirt, it's the cutest thing watching your puppies go all funny :D

well ofcourse they arent going to tell you it is 100% garanteed . and yeah that new vaccine that lasts for 3 years, i dont trust. after hey started using it in america there was a big increase in parvo cases. but im sure they will perfect it. we now have antibiotic injections that last 2 weeks so cant be to far behind.

Yep, just a quick flick over replies, and we worry about those getting reptiles. We made sure our dogs were immunised before walking them/taking them out as pups. We even immunise our rabbits (after a lesson learned, bloody mosi's).

as some one else said theres no point hiding your puppy away from the world you can bring parvo home on your shoes, it also can live in the soil for upto 5 years so the person who just lost the pup is wise to not rush out to get another one to soon, im not saying wait 5 years but i would give it a few months at least, im a registered dog breeder and myself and alot of other breeders will not let anyone visit with pups till after they are seven weeks old and had the first vac at six weeks, i actually vacc at 8 weeks not six due to the breed size and dont let people visit for a week, i only vac adult dogs every 2-3 years

Hey guys-
Thought i would add my bit to help clear any concerns
I work in the industry, deal with parvo and vaccinate dogs on a daily basis.

As long as the animal recieves its first vaccination after six weeks of age and then follows with two boosters at monthly intervals there should be no interferance from maternal antibodies. Subsequent exposure to the antigen stimulates the immune system to produce more antibodies- Upon first exposure antibody levels increase- but then decrease. Upon subsequent exposures antibody level increase to higher levels and are maintained. That is why your animals "booster" vaccinations are SO important. Depending on the brand of vaccine used your animal should then be given a booster each year or every three years.

Vaccination are NOT fool proof. It is possible for a vaccinated animal to contract a disease. This can occur for many reasons- ill health, immuno compromised, parasite burden, aged, young. Parvo is very contagious and will remain viable in the environment for up to three years.

Falcon boy- you are right the intranasal is indeed for kennel cough the sub cut injection is the parvo vaccine (with a bit of hepatitis and distemper mixed in!)

Hope that helped some ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back