HOLY COW... no wait thats actually a dog...

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beautiful dogs! But to anyone thinking of getting a big dog, PLEASE, think carefully. They eat a lot, they need lots of room, they take up a lot of room, they knock things ( & people ) over & they squash things (people included!). Our boy, Aragorn is 70 cms tall & I don't know how much he weighs, but he is heavy. He has now stopped growing up & is beefing out. He is ( we think) a Great Dane X Bull mastiff ( a reject pig dog) that we rescued through Death Row Dogs at 6 months of age. He is now 2 & 1/2 years old & whilst we love him to bits, we will be down sizing with our next dog, when the time comes. He is simply too big! He takes up half the bed ( queen size) when allowed on it, doesn't fit into a normal car ( unless he can have the whole back seat to himself ), knocks me over when playing and his tail! He literally leaves bruising on whoever gets hits with it. And I wont even start on his feeding! And, the sad part, his exuberance when playing with our other dog, Dana ( a shepherd) has left her with a permanent hip injury. Big dogs ARE beautiful but we got him because someone else didn't think before buying & Aragorn nearly lost his life as a result. Think it through. Are you really equipped for a big dog???( PS, I am sitting at my desk, he is standing behind me with his head on my shoulder! Do you think he know I'm writing about him?lol.

Attachments

• Aragorn 27 dec 2007 age 22mths 012.jpg
    Aragorn 27 dec 2007 age 22mths 012.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 72
have one. 6 year old, big boy! aunty got a female. very good gaurd dogs. big pups though lol very active.

aunty used to have one cross rottie......meanest dogg ever seen jumped threw 12mm glass just to get my dad haha. she used to hate me then luved me....very good dogg but had to get put down cause she was full of cancer

boerboele

Just noticed this thread. The advert on gumtree is gone. Does anybody have the details. I know /knew of only one breeder in NSW so am very interested to contact the seller.

Boerboels are a mastiff but far more agile. they have been known to catch and kill cheetahs in south africa and are bold enough and intimidating enough to stand their ground with a charging elephant. They ARE NOT recommended for people with little experience with large dogs and are said to be extremely protective of their owners and property. I have read comments from breeders who say if you open your gate and your boerboel sees someone walking past they WILL attack them. And unlike other breeds who will corner an intruder and hold them at bay until someone comes, a boerboel will attack and bite- meaning the person will end up in hospital or worse. A truely incredilbe dog for someone who is strong enough, experienced enough and has the time

I used to have a kennel of ten adult Boerboeles and bred over thirty of them. They are NOT known to attack people walking past. Another dog maybe, or a person posing a threat. But definitely not unprovocted will they attack anybody. I have visited many a breeder in South Africa and never once was I threatened by a dog, even on a couple of occassions when the owner was not home.
A boerboele is the ONLY breed of dog that I would trust with family and friends. They were bred for family/farm protection, so will only attack is their family is threatened. Some dogs you need to lock away when friends and family visit, these you do not.
I beleive it is leopards you are thinking of not Cheetahs.
I will agree they are only for people with strong mind and will. Let one intimidate you and life becomes more difficult.

If there the african Boer boel which they look like you shouldnt own one unless you have
large dog experience, they can be very dangerous

beardy boy i saw the thing on my userlook up but i havent got any pms...

Big dogs require a firm hand - dog obedience is a MUST!! if you allow them to get the better of you you will pay the price. They should only be allowed to be purchased if the owner has experience with large dogs and is strong enough to handle the dog. All the comments on how cute the puppies are gives me an indication that this breed with get a vicious name in the future due to bad owners not being able to handle the dog, due to its protective nature it will lead to attacks. Don't get me wrong they are awsome and would make a great pet but just remember if it ever went agro it would be more likely death that injury.

With the whole attacking thing...... it all comes down to training and handling your dog. Each dog is different and we cannot generalise. With any big breed training is essential, either going to an obedience school or doing it yourself if you know what your doing.

Cheesy,
RobyMCOASecondOpenApricots20052.jpg

I have a friend that breeds boerboels, they are gorgeous dogs with excellent temperaments, probably the best temperament out of all the mastiffs. I have never seen one be agressive towards people, they will act as guard dogs if someone provokes or threatens them but they are not going to attack someone walking by. If they did this in South Africa they would be shot so that is not a character of the breed. My friend can walk hers off leash around people and dogs. Like any large dog you need to be able to train it properly so it listens to you. I would defiently get one if I had the room and didn't have so many animals. Unfortunately like all the giant breeds they have short lifespans and are prone to joint problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back