Financial crisis an act of God, says James Bidgood

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So really anyone who is against religeon or is a proud atheist should want nothing to do with Christmas.

No because we dont celebrate it in a christian way, we dont go to church, the only time we mention Jesus or God on xmas day is in a way christians dont like it to be used in, and the only person we thank for the food on the table is the cook.

So really anyone who is against religeon or is a proud atheist should want nothing to do with Christmas.

No because we dont celebrate it in a christian way, we dont go to church, the only time we mention Jesus or God on xmas day is in a way christians dont like it to be used in, and the only person we thank for the food on the table is the cook.

A Mexican chef named Jesus?
(pronounced Heh-Soose)

The concept of Christmas is the birth of Christ.

I disagree about it being a secular holiday, look how many people attend the carols by candlelight or attend church?

The reason Christanity has been so successful is that it co-opted existing festivals instead of dismissing them. Easter replaced an ancient fertility festival, Christmas replaced the winter solstice, Halloween replaced a pagan harvest festival. They subtly began to diminish the importance of the pantheistic deity system by creating negative associations with old gods (Pan, one of the major pagan gods has hooves, horns and a tail - sound familiar?)

Instead of telling people to stop celebrating their traditional beliefs, Christianity insidiously replaced the existing festivals by telling people that they could celebrate it, but just change the names. Over the centuries, the original meaning of the festival was lost, and ignorant people began to believe that Christmas actually literally represents the birth of Christ (which happened a few months later)

We celebrate Christmas as a secular family event. We sometimes attend carols, but that is as much to sing Frosty the Snowman and Rudolph, as it is to sing Silent Night. We are teaching our daughter that people who believe in God think that the Nativity is an actual event, but we teach it to her as a story. We enjoy the fact that we get some time off from work to spend with our loved ones, but we don't literally believe that an immortal being was born on Christmas day, nor I woudl hazard, do most Australians.

PS apologies for the typos - too many lunchtime beers...

I class myself as a retired catholic, my son goes to a Catholic school (the public schools up here are not great) which means I get to go to mass every now and then for a special religious occasion. I always find myself smiling and thinking.... ' look at all of these children getting brain washed' (lol).

I still think religion and politics don't mix... otherwise investors would have to sue the church;). the Pope wold be committed to stand trial for being an assessory and liquidators would step into Vatican city in an attempt to recoup some losses... Maybe its better if God keeps his nose out of Wall Street....

We enjoy the fact that we get some time off from work to spend with our loved ones, but we don't literally believe that an immortal being was born on Christmas day, nor I woudl hazard, do most Australians.
And I believe your right.
I had a girlfriend not long ago who used to be a door knocker Jehovah's Witness.
She found 90% of people who talked to her on these doorknocks considered themselves Christians.
On further questioning, 90% of those who considered themselves christians, did not pray to god, did not own a bible, did not attend church, nor practiced 'their religion' in any way, apart from marriage in a church and funeral at a church/with priest. When further questioned as to why they considered themselves Christians, though no real practice of their religion, they usually answered that their religion is what their parents believed, so thats what they are. Exactly the same as a family tradition.
Being a christian is supposed to be more then just a family tradition, but for many thats what it has become.
No different to xmas and the easter bunny.

beer is the only true way to celabrate christmas when when ya dont beleve in god LOL. and food !

beer is the only true way to celabrate christmas when when ya dont beleve in god LOL. and food !
you forgot the prawns and the oysters

So anyway SlothHead, do you know if this fruitcake (or maybe I should say Fruit Mince Pie) have any plans to combat the financial crisis or is he just going to sit back and take it because "it was written"?

Ah, the George Bush motto

I do have a question for all you anti religeon people.

As you are anti religeon you would therefor be 100% opposed to Christmas.

I wonder how many of you stil celebrate Christmas though?

If you aren't with us, you must be against us. No room for the middle of the road. Sad that people try to make facts out of statistics. Why must one be anti-religious to oppose your view? I might be buddhist but I have to take Christmas off because it is a legislated public holiday.

Ciao :)

God help me!
Oh wait, there is no god. I'm screwed.

I just read through this entire thread and find the people who push their disbelief on you just as annoying as the people who push their beliefs. I don't believe in god, that's my choice, I don't need to push my beliefs on others. People can worship the turnip fairy ,as long as it doesn't effect me I don't care.

My garden fairy says if you dont believe in her, your going to the fiery pits of hell to be burnt till the end of eternity!
But of course, she loves you with all her heart......

Another anti religeous thread in the making.

With all the problems this country is facing there are more important things to worry about than what religeon our MPs are.

As i said i dont agree with him, however at least he was honest enough to discuss his beliefs.
It has nothing to do with what religion they are it is about politician's keeping their belief's separate from their job and making political decisions based upon logic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back