Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ali_snake

Reaction score
:shock:
Hi everyone,
I was just looking up the DEC web page for keeping snakes in WA, and was alarmed at their license prices and what you can keep!!!
On this list i didn't see anything about GTP's,
does anyone know if you are able to keep these in WA?
And also i would have to pay $300 per year just so i can keep my olive python,(if i move over there) and they are in the same list as death adders:shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock::shock:

In WA the only things you are allowed to keep are whats on the lists, no Coastals, Macs, Diamonds, Bredli, GTP etc etc.

Also they don't allow reptiles to be bought into the state, only to be moved out, so im afraid your olive wont be able to go with you.

You can't import any animals over into the state unfortunatley, you can only keep what is native in the state and is allowed on the keepers list which you can find on the DEC website.

Edit: Beat me vix gr :p lol

OMG holy crap i didn't know that, i don't really want to go now, i could never part with my snakes and leave them behind, especially my olive:(

I wouldn't worry about the $300 dollars to keep your Olive, because if you move here you wont be able to bring it. WA is closed to importing pythons, so you will have to pay our over the top prices for a new snake once you get her. The keeping of reptiles in WA is only new (a couple of years), so things are still fairly high in price. Only West Aust. species can be kept here as well, so unfortunately, no GTPs.

I guess this comes as fairly bleek news for someone coming from over east. I believe the intention of the DEC is to try and protect the industry from diseases and to maintain control of it while it is still very young.

I know that you will be shocked to her this and I hope that it doesn't put you of moving over here, our state has some great things, its just that we are a bit behind everyone else when it comes to keeping herps.

yer real strict licencing here to keep an olive over here you need to start off on category 3, and after a year of keeping a cat 3 licence and reptile you can move up to category 4 providing you send in the quarterly returns, not sure from going cat 4 to 5 for an olive but i am sure you need to show alot of experience in keeping reptiles

i feel so sorry for you guys, i had my olive python as my second snake!!!!
there is NO way i can part with them! they are part of my family now.

I hope that it doesn't put you of moving over here, our state has some great things, its just that we are a bit behind everyone else when it comes to keeping herps.
LOL it put me off - I found an awesome job over there but didn't go based solely on the fact I can't take my herps ;) Its a shame really as WA is beautiful.
Good luck ali_snake :)

LOL it put me off - I found an awesome job over there but didn't go based solely on the fact I can't take my herps ;) Its a shame really as WA is beautiful.
Good luck ali_snake :)

Thanks lozza, im a bit the same, found a really good job and thought nothing was going to stop me, until i found out this info!!!!:shock:

wow this WA licencing really sucks!! im looking at moving over for a job at the mines and i have a pair of bredli pair of diamonds and pair of maccies.... anybody know if you can go strait to cat 4 with previous experience from QLD licence? cheers, Brad.

Snakes are not to be brought into the state but are allowed to be exported. And since I've been on thi site i was very upset on because of the awesome snakes you guys have. Some snakes that are found in WA like Pygmy's ect. Are not allowed even beardies that live here ie Central Beardies, NW beardies are not allowed. Some species like Fresh-water crocs arent allowed either even though they are found here. We have many many species in WA but yet only 41 species are allowed!

Last edited:
Only pythons are banned from entering WA, elapids and others are allowed in, as long as they are on the list. Sadly I cant see anything changing for quite some time. You guys would have a 10 year review of the legislation around 2012 - 2013 but at best all I can see is a few new species on the list and knowing DEC they would wont give them easily either. This probably wont go down well with those in WA but the problem as I see it is or part of it is there really isnt a will for change, people just seem happy to get what they are given. DEC wont just one day decide those herpers have been good lets throw them a few more species on the list, you are gonna have to fight tooth and nail for it cause thats DECs style.

wow this WA licencing really sucks!! im looking at moving over for a job at the mines and i have a pair of bredli pair of diamonds and pair of maccies.... anybody know if you can go strait to cat 4 with previous experience from QLD licence? cheers, Brad.

From my understanding (as im only new to the game) once you've had your cat 3 license for 12 months you can apply for a cat 4 and aslong as nothing went wrong in those 12 months you should get it., So i dare say depending on what cat your snakes are classed in QLD that would most likely be taken into consideration (of course as long as you had paperwork to show)

And for the record i agree completely that its awful how us WA's cant keep GTP or anything other then wa bred pythons so much to choose from out there but only a select few we're allowed.

I had to leave my gex and snakes in NSW when i moved here to WA, but luckily my sister was able to take them for me. It sucks majorly that we can't import or even keep inverts here. Bu there are several nice reps that you can keep here, you just have to pay the ridiculous prices :(

I had to leave my gex and snakes in NSW when i moved here to WA, but luckily my sister was able to take them for me. It sucks majorly that we can't import or even keep inverts here. Bu there are several nice reps that you can keep here, you just have to pay the ridiculous prices :(
Hahaha your right there for the prices!!!! Carpet Pythons are $500-$1000 each! Stimmies-$350-$600!! Knob Tails-$250-$300!!! and soo on!

I think its good that you cant import there. everyone is really high on natives only and exotics ruining our eco system. if that's the case what is the difference between australia wide and state wide? I think its bold and it works.it is a shame about the prices over there, but they will fall in time. anyway how good are those wheatbelt stimmies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back