Nikon D300 for x-mas. HELP!!!!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythoness

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Well i have a nikon D300 for x-mas, and i'm fuzzy at stereo instructions that came with it, the manual is about the size of a phone book and makes my head hurt lol.

Anyone know anything about this camers and how best to achieve great results, in laymans terms please lol.

After not being able to take pics of my reps for so many years i am excited at this new ability, but am ham fisted and a little overwhemeled by the complexity of it all.

Any info, tips and hints would be very appreciated, also any pics taken on this kind of camera so i can know what to expect and guage wheather i'm doing it right.

many thanks.

SIl.

I don't have the camera you're talking about but when I first got into DSLR's my photos were crapper then the photos I could take with my crappy old point and shoot, takes a while to get a hang of, but once you do they're definayley awesome. My 450D came with a "poket guide" which had some really good info, hopefully someone can help you out. Good luck with it all, look forward to seeing your pics :)

I don't have this one but a canon SLR - the canon has an Auto function which make it like a standard digital camera. With this I can just point and shoot
It takes great shoots
The fun part with new things is trying to work it out - I am in IT and I have never look at a manual unless it has total beaten me.
I will have a look and see what I can find out for you

There is a button on the back top right which has AF-ON on it. My guess this could be auto focus
With this on you should be able to just point and shoot with zoom and not worry too much about the focus

Hope this helps - if not sorry

Geez, that's a pretty serious camera for a beginner to DSLRs! :D

You might find that this helps;
http://digital-photography-school.com/

It has some good basic info on the basics (ISO, aperture, shutter speed etc) and will help to get you going.
Have a look at the forum on that site too - plenty of members from both Australia and overseas.

Finally Nikon have video tutes on the basic operation of their cameras. Google Nikon Asia Pacific.

Good luck! ;)

it is like the blind leading the blind really... bite the bullet and RTBM... it will give you something to do over christmas!

:p

it is like the blind leading the blind really... bite the bullet and RTBM... it will give you something to do over christmas!

:p

:D I've owned both Nikon and Canon, and there's nothing as painful as trying to make sense of Nikons manuals!!

Its not a good camera for point and shoot stuff. I have one and just had to read and learn,( luckily my sons a photographer)..Important point to read...WHITE BALANCE...if you look at some of my threads you'll see why!!
There are so many features on this it really is a must to read the manual...If you want a more auto friendly cam with still great pictures try the D90..much more auto friendly

lol RTBM, thats gold.

I have tried, but it reads like stereo instructions, and i can't make sence of it.

Will delve during the hollidays lol.

I've got the D80. Definately start with the manual. It's boring the first time, but you'll go back to it time and time again as you start to use the camera and at least if you have an understanding of where to find the information you'll be able to learn quicker as you get some experience.

Just experiement is the key. Use Automatic mode, take some pictures and then use the manual settings to get a greater understanding of how changing the settings has an effect on the picture. You'll have a copy of Nikon software that tells you everything about the settings that were applied to each photo. Study that when you review the pic's to find out which settings change various things in the photo's.

You have certainly been chucked into the deep end. The focus module on this camera alone took me 3 months to master and i've been shooting with nikons for 30 years.

I've got a D200, which is a better camera. I'm willing to swap my D200 for your D300. I think in the long run you'll be much better off. It'll be a sacrifice for me, but I'm willing to take one for the team.

Just out of interest, how do you know what you got (you're getting?) for Christmas? Have you been taking a sneak peek? It reminds me of one Christmas back when I was a Jedi knight. Luke was talking to his Dad on the phone. His dad said "Luke, I know what you're getting for Christmas."
"How?", asked Luke.
"Because I've felt your presence." replied his Dad.

But seriously... Get a macro lens. Set the aperture to around f/22 or narrower. Bump your flash up using your flash compensation button (or get some external flashes). Set the shutter speed to around 1/80 sec or faster. Take some pictures. Remember: it's digital - it doesn't cost you much to experiment.

I've got some other thoughts on photography.

Stewart

a few trial shots. my first time round, please let me know what you think.

Attachments

• DSC_5506.jpg
    DSC_5506.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 73
  • DSC_5495.jpg
    DSC_5495.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC_5525.jpg
    DSC_5525.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC_5528.jpg
    DSC_5528.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 74
OMG they are great first tries. Ive been given a cannon IXUS 700
and these are my first tries earlier tonight after NOT reading the manual....
Think I might actually have to sit down and read the damn thing.
Cant get the stupid thing to focus no matter what I do.
It was a secondhand camera so maybe thats why they didnt want it no more....

Attachments

• 031.jpg
    031.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 048.jpg
    048.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 28
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back