Species suggestions

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sludge

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am looking for a new pet python that would like to climb around in a tall tank and is viewable by day (does not have to be active by day but that would be a bonus), any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sludge

Any of the Morelia spilota complex are good. Jungles are highly arboreal. If you don't care about price, you could get green tree pythons.

I would love a jungle ..... they look great with their colour too , very eye catching .

Get a nice jungle! They are nearly always up on a perch or branch, and will appreciate a nice high enclosure.

Any of the Morelia spilota complex are good. Jungles are highly arboreal. If you don't care about price, you could get green tree pythons.

Need a class 2 licence for a GTP & a couple of grand plus a bit of expertise.....................:|
Bit of common sense would be nice.

Ah, but you see Mungus, he hasn't given any information on his expertise and background. He could have thousands and thousands saved up, and could own many many snakes. And, by the way, you can get a green tree python on a recreational licence in Brisbane, which is the basic licence. But, thanks for you input anyway. I do so appreciate it.

Jungle sounds like the way to go mate, but they have a bit of a reputation for being nervous and bitey.

Need a class 2 licence for a GTP & a couple of grand plus a bit of expertise.....................:|
Bit of common sense would be nice.

He's in brisbane, so no you don't need class two lic. Just a basic Rec lic. can own 2 gtps.

if you read up on it and had someone with experience on hand (and the mulah) I see no reason why a mature inteligent person couldn't start with a GTP.

Having said that, jungle will be more forgiving for those little newbee mistakes.

Jungles are great. Get one!

Ah, but you see Mungus, he hasn't given any information on his expertise and background. He could have thousands and thousands saved up, and could own many many snakes. And, by the way, you can get a green tree python on a recreational licence in Brisbane, which is the basic licence. But, thanks for you input anyway. I do so appreciate it.

Ahh, but you see miss 16 years of age, anyone with expertise and a background in snakes would'nt start a post asking kids [ or anyone for that matter ] to suggest a snake for them to buy.
I do appreciate your input as well, especially the fact that in qld you can obtain a gtp on a basic licence.That I did not know.
So, what experience do you have in the snake department may I ask ? :D

*sigh* I now remember why I hate this site. Good bye.

Edit: Not disagreeing with you Mungus. Just no longer in the mood for all the crap that everyone gets here.

Last edited:
Mungus has got a point though, if he was experienced in any way he wouldn't be asking for help to choose a species to keep, he would be able to decide for himself. Also judging by the fact that this was his first post, points in the same direction.

Hi guys,

I am looking for a new pet python that would like to climb around in a tall tank and is viewable by day (does not have to be active by day but that would be a bonus), any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Sludge

all hatchys will hide lots for a year or two and should be housed in click clacks, after that most carpets will come out sometime during the day. Diamond pythons love to come out in the sun to bask and like to climb, but you need to do a lot of reading on the python you like and create the conditions that suit it best :p

Thanks for all of the replys guys. I guess I should have offered a little more info.

I have kept a few different reptiles, birds, fish etc for about 20 years now but I have not ventured too far away from the more commonly kept species even though I do have some very experienced friends to help me out.

I guess I am not one to really get into posting alot on web sites but I do do alot of reading before I go ahead and launch into something new, public forums seem to bring forth heaps of info and suggestions which is a good thing.

I will definately be looking seriously at jungles, I'd prefer to consider diamonds but I am not sure how they handle Brisbane summers and GTP's are only a matter of time but I want to spend a little more time around them before I get my own.

Thanks again guys
Sludge

Mungus has got a point though, if he was experienced in any way he wouldn't be asking for help to choose a species to keep, he would be able to decide for himself. Also judging by the fact that this was his first post, points in the same direction.

Your first post means nothing. My first post here was after I had 3 snakes, same old, same old, someone asks an innocent question, and then someone always has to put them down, some of us forget they also asked the same questions when they were new to the hobbie.

I'd prefer to consider diamonds but I am not sure how they handle Brisbane summers Sludge

as long as you have a cool end of the enclosure you should be ok with a diamond:)
the taller the enclosure the better and have the basking light up high set at 32c with a shelf under it, that way the bottom will always be cooler and you can always add more vents as well tp keep an air flow :)

So Mungus...... after reading Sludge's ''second'' post do you think you could be a little less insulting to all the younger members of this forum? i have only just joined this forum about a month ago. this does not mean that i have had no experience in keeping reptiles, or that my input is any less informative than yours. it is people like you that bring this forum down.

so are you saying that only people 'of age' (how old do you consider ''experienced''??) should be the only ones to offer advice as younger peoples advice is void or invalid just beacause of their age?

Your first post means nothing. My first post here was after I had 3 snakes, same old, same old, someone asks an innocent question, and then someone always has to put them down, some of us forget they also asked the same questions when they were new to the hobbie.

No but in majority of cases its usually a newbie to the hobby.

Now that he has explained himself better he should get some more informed replies! :)

C'mon guys, petty bickering doesn't help anyone. Someone asked for help, that should be the focus of the thread. Shake hands and let's move on.

ok, forgive and forget....... *offers hand*

but please, no more sarcastic comments to members of ''lesser experience''

thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back