Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reptilian

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Might sound stupid here, but what is this cogger book that everyone keeps going on about??? Im guessing it is some sort of reptile recognition book??? and if so what is the actual title?

Cheers...
Ash...

just had a quick read up of coggers 6th edition this dosnt mention anything if this was true im sure it would have been noted by cogger himself i think someone one the show has made a mistake. Also come to think of it on david Attinsbouruoughs life in cold blood the perentie was not mentioned as one of the worlds venemous lizards.:D

Reptiles And amphibians of Australia By Harold G. cogger, the ultimate Refernce Book.

I recently Sold a 2nd Hand copy Of the 4th Edition for $250.00.

the edition you want is the 6th edition, Green Cover. Cant miss it.

holy cow...lol is the 6th edition that pricey?

Thanx

what would a 6th edition be worth. If you get the oppertunity to buy one I'd suggest you do, pretty rare to come across one. Would love to get a copy myself

i recently sold a second copy i had of it on ebay for $650.00.but i aint selling the copy i have now.:D

Umm not sure, i bought my 6th edition a no of years ago, when it was released for $89. Best investment i have ever made, although thelatest edition of " A complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia" is a good Reference and fairly well priced at about $55.00 (Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan)

If you can get your hands on a more recent ed at a 'reasonable' price, do so! There will be no more ed's of this book. I know its not quite the same, but Wilson and Swan's Complete Guide to Reptiles of Australia is an OK publication and still in print... about $50, may be slightly more in the price range for most.

if you do want a copy you will get one on amazon but you will pay anywhere in between $400.00 to $1200.00 just google reptiles&amphibians of australia and click on the amazon link . I also heard rumor his working on a new book.

I dont mind paying $50 for a book, and it may be a good book (Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan)...

But would the cogger book actually be worth the extra couple of hundred? Is it really THAT much better?

Regards...
Ash...

its value should go up you would think

Yes and No, depends on how serious you are about herping in general, it is only a reference book remember, and not a collection of care sheets so to speak.

Cogger is a good book, but It is getting out of date. You will probably be able to get by just as well with Wilson & Swann. However, the keys for identify animals in Cogger do come in handy.

I paid $70.00 for a new copy of the 6th Edition years ago. Felt like I was paying a kings ransom. I have since had it signed by the man himself.

my coggers 6th edition is my most prized possesion. I also have swanns book but i believe it s no where near as informative as the 6th edition thats why its hard to get and worth so much money because those who have it dont want to part with it its one of a kind on australian reptiles and amphibans alone. i advise if reptiles or amphibians are your passion if you get a chance to buy it grab it with both hands.

It is more of a collector's piece now, it has the keys which wilson and swann don't but unless you are out herping and now how to use the keys then its not much good to the lay person. It is also out of date.

I dont mind paying $50 for a book, and it may be a good book (Steve Wilson and Gerry Swan)...

But would the cogger book actually be worth the extra couple of hundred? Is it really THAT much better?

Regards...
Ash...

The vast majority of your "real" books are well over $50. There are definitely some good ones cheaper than that (Australian Snakes - A Natural History, A Complete Guide to the Reptiles of Australia etc). But a lot of reference books like Reptile Medicine and Surgery, Varanoid Lizards of the World and Lizards - Windows to the Evolution of Diversity are a lot more expensive. Of course, there are a lot of really poor quality expensive books out there too...

I still gotta get my hands on a cogger 6th edition, would come in handy, have read through it a few times as our local library has a copy. whats great is it includes frogs aswell, but as said, its out of date.

The vast majority of your "real" books are well over $50. There are definitely some good ones cheaper than that (Australian Snakes - A Natural History, A Complete Guide to the Reptiles of Australia etc). But a lot of reference books like Reptile Medicine and Surgery, Varanoid Lizards of the World and Lizards - Windows to the Evolution of Diversity are a lot more expensive. Of course, there are a lot of really poor quality expensive books out there too...

Yeah I do realize what you saying about the price... And I have paid more than $50 for a book and also many which were under $50, but the point i was getting at, is that someone mentioned that i should expect to pay $400 - $1200!!! Even at $120 that I have paid for my most expensive book purchased it is still almost 4x as expensive...

As someone also mentioned that if Im passionate about herps, then it would be good value, well....................ask my mrs :) she reckons that im obsessed... lol

Thanx for your help, and it looks like I might try and aquire one...

Regards...
Ash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back