Save the Planet - Eat Skippy

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I done believe any native animal should be commercially harvested from the wild for any reason.

This includes:

Ducks
Kangaroos
Emus
Crocs

If someone wants to make a buisness out kangaroos then they should farm them. This i have no problem with.
Horserule you fail to address the ethical viewpoint I put forward. Just stating what you believe in and then not considering other sides of the fence is blind faith/ignorance. Just because the first argument that you hear sounds reasonable, does not mean their are no more logical or ethical arguments to be made which are of a higher truth.

Here's the question I pose to you...

How much land damage will be done by increasing traffic to the hunting areas of the roo?

How much extra CO2 will be released because of the transportation?

I'm not saying it's a bad idea - I am saying that the whole thing has got serious flaws and the stats are hell bent on farting animals...

It would be a start I think to limit farming... But we need to grow back forests that were cut down (not just here, the worst place is close to home tho PNG and Indonesia).

Why not invest in some serious earth rehab - close to home and further off shore!

We can add kangaroo as part of it - no worries there - but it's not a 3% cut in GHG emissions!

If kangaroos were farmed and bred like sheep i would support this.

However they are not.

Nearly all the meat you see for sale in shops is wild killed kangaroos.

Surely one of the main environmental advantages of roos is that they are wild harvested and aren't fenced in as a monoculture.

Maybe if men stopped farting so much, there would be a reduction in GHG. :p

I walked through some guys fart at the shopping centre yesterday. Was one of the worst experiences of my life...

:oops::oops::oops:

I agree, eat roo.
Heavy, hooved animals place a lot of weight on a small area which compacts the ground and makes it difficult to grow plants. To turn cow paddock back to forest you have to turn the soil to soften and airate, before you plant out. This is the problem with cows, horses and sheep and pigs.
They stuff the environment at every turn.
Go for a drive down the Hume Hwy, or up around Gloucester and marvel at the "beautiful" farmlands, millions of hectares of dead, brown grass with not a tree for miles. Oh yeh, and a cow every acre and a half.
Now roo on the other hand, you dont even need fences, they don't even need any human intervention. Beautiful thing the old native animal.

I walked through some guys fart at the shopping centre yesterday. Was one of the worst experiences of my life...

An excellent addition to the thread. A well thought out retort to the above agurments. I can see you've been passionate about arid and semi arid land management for some time.

:(

-H

I done believe any native animal should be commercially harvested from the wild for any reason.

This includes:

Ducks
Kangaroos
Emus
Crocs

If someone wants to make a buisness out kangaroos then they should farm them. This i have no problem with.
well the in a sheep or cattle or horses "NATIVE COUNTRY" should they be able to live in their OWN WILDERNESS without being killed for food?.........its a proven fact that roos do not do well in a farm situation, instead of a useless cull when they over populate why not kill for human need?

kangaroo taste great, its leaner, and better for the environment, plus kangaroos dont tample all the habitat like cows do, but kangaroos do wreck the environment in places in western QLD from what I have heard, by over grazing. my mum refuses to cook kangaroo though because she loves the wallabys in our backyard, I dont mind them either, they are cute:lol:

In a nutshell, here are some of my thoughts on this subject. Land degregation is due in part to the drought and to soil erosion via wind, not only caused by animals and rotational farming can help eliminate this, as it gives pasture time to regenerate.

If it's not already, vegetation re-planting should be legislated so that farmers need to re-place a minimum amount of plants each year especially around creeks and waterways.

If they wanted to farm roos it could easily be done in the middle of the outback where properties are enormous so no need for pens or more fencing and they could be culled the same way they are now, by hunters. Farmers could do it as a sideline to their existing businesses.

And finally....am I to assume that all the people who are against sheep and cows are also vegetarians cause it's not really ethical to go jumping up and down about the subject, if you're going to tuck into a nice juicy steak at dinner time.

better you than me funny tho :lol::lol:

Roo shooting is far from perfect. Those that argue for it have some valid points but they never seem to address all its flaws.

Here's an interesting link.

YouTube - Re:Dolphin Massacre in Japan(Kangaroo Massacre in Australia)

Bye bye ethics for commercial industry.
How do you feel when its a reptile treated this way. My point not about numbers, overgrazing or trampling that's another issue. Just simply the ethics seeing so many think its so great and are quick to promote it.

Roo shooting is far from perfect. Those that argue for it have some valid points but they never seem to address all its flaws.

How do you feel when its a reptile treated this way. My point not about numbers, overgrazing or trampling that's another issue. Just simply the ethics seeing so many think its so great and are quick to promote it.

One needs to ask the question how prevalent is this cruelty displayed in the video happening?
Many of the roo shooters I know would not condone this sort of behaviour.
One then needs to ask if its not happening often at all, apart from a few rogue idiots, what have people got to gain by putting out the perception that the roo industry has no ethics?

This includes:

Ducks
Kangaroos
Emus
Crocs

yum, yum, yum and yum. i love eating the natives and there is no shortage of all these.

If we are serious about protecting our native wildlife and the government really care about our wildlife we will stop the mass slaughter of native wild animals in this country.
This is benefiting the roo population's a lot. you have to remember there is more roo's now than 150 year's ago due to introduction of pasture etc. So by your logic you would rather see these animal's breed like they have been since the introduction of pasture and still are till they get to point where there is a food shortage and they begin to starve than have a commercial harvest that keeps, some control over their numbers creating an overall healthier population? In reality the commercial harvest is common sense conservation of the specie's.

And as for the cruelty side of things yes there is likely to be a few moron's in the industry the authorities need to do their job and weed those moron's out and punish them for their action's.

I eat roo at least once per week.

Harvesting "wild" animals, including roos, emu, etc. is about as free range as you can get. There can be none of the battery farming methods commonly used for chicken (which I avoid eating), beef and pigs. Wild animals have a high quality of life and if done properly, a quick and painless death when harvested.

The other argument which is often forgotten is that in order to farm sheep etc. we first cleared the land removing habitat... lots and lots and lots of habitat. If we were to switch to harvesting roo much of this habitat could be restored allowing many indigenous species to return.

Modern farming, particularly of meat, is simply not sustainable.

YouTube - Re:Dolphin Massacre in Japan(Kangaroo Massacre in Australia)

It hardly looks like a commercial operation. What commercial entity would allow filming of its indescressions. It looks more like an emotive film staged to discourage kangaroo harvesting!
A bit like putting up vids of dog fighting with the implication that all dogs are treated that way when we know it is a small minority.

With the reduction of GHGs produced by eating kangaroo, I can go back to walking to work instead of driving or catching the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back