Using Ground Walnut Shell with Geckos

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gecko :)

Hi All,.

Just a quick question,.

I had someone recently Purchase a Pilbarensis from me,.
He had already bought the whole setup,. when he came over he bought this ground Walnut Shell to ask me if it would be ok to use?

I have read some people use this stuff for their Bearded Dragons,. I have also read that it may be dangerous to use as they may eat it?
I also cant imagine it would hold moisture well for them to be able to tunnell etc,.
but as he has already purchased it & opened it & it was VERY expensive,. I thought I would ask if anyone else has had any experience with using it for geckos? Particularly smooth Knobtails.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers Kelly

I have used it before for spiney tails and it works great but i definatly wouldn`t use it for knobbies, it doesn`t hold moisture and they can`t burrow in it, they may also swallow it and get gut compaction. It`s ok for arboreal species that feed up in the branches but i most definatly would not use it with ground dwelling / burrowing species! :)

I have used it for months now for my beardies with no problem but I wouldn't use it for geckos.

They are better on sand.

Just thought I would ask just incase as it cost the guy $60!,. I told him I would check here to make sure first.
but it is as I expected, ,. I will tell him to stick to sand.

Jewly, be very careful using it with your beardies as I have heard/read some nasty stories!.

Crushed (or ground) walnut shell is an abrasive used in the paint industry - too scary for me to use for anything

Just thought I would ask just incase as it cost the guy $60!,. I told him I would check here to make sure first.

Jewly, be very careful using it with your beardies as I have heard/read some nasty stories!.

Yeah but I've heard just as many from people who use it with no problems at all. I wouldn't use it with little ones, but with older ones I think it's fine.

Wow $60!!! :shock: They seen him coming!!

I would not use sand either - nothing nasty for my babies :)

Then again I am possibly paranoid

Cheers
Sandee :)

Unless its a bromeliad, avoid the crushed walnut. Its not a particularly useful substrate for any reptile. High impaction risk, high natural fungal burden and very abrasive. People only sell it because people willingly buy it.

i like the idea of the Calcium Carbonate sand, which a good lot of people already feed to their herps as a powder supplement, if it was prepared properly, there would be no problem of compaction at all!
i predict it would also hold very well for burrows

And of course all reptiles live on newspaper in the wild :lol:

lol a believer.. I don't think newspaper is in anyway trying to recreate there natural environment but its most commonly used and promoted as the better substrate simply because its the easiest to clean which can make it more hygenic depending on the keeper.

lol a believer.. I don't think newspaper is in anyway trying to recreate there natural environment but its most commonly used and promoted as the better substrate simply because its the easiest to clean which can make it more hygenic depending on the keeper.

Totally agree with you there. I personally try and give my animals the most comfortable enclosure I can whilst also taking into account their safety. Can you imagine living on hard newspaper? My beardies spend 90% of their day up high on their logs and they don't eat in their enclosure so I don't see it as a problem.

a No-No on my vote.

not only impaction risks, but lack of burrowing, moisture, and comfort. you dont want to risk it, especially with young hatchlings.. let alone adults GECKO's ... with the size of their digestive tract, it would take one peice... and thats it.. we have a blockage..

im always a no particle substrate kind of person, safety is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back