Can Rspca do anything?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ummmmm.....Who said they were ROAMING.................and these are NOT feral animals........... THEY HAVE OWNERS........................ NO-ONE has said they are roaming.................. I honestly am sick and tired of hearing from tunnel-visioned anti-cat people................. what you are advocating Jonno, is KILLING a live animal.......... isn't this what you are SUPPOSED to be against, or is one type of animal more important than another.......... please supply us with a list of what is more important than what........... what cames at the top of the list? what is at the bottom??? where do humans come in this, those who kill far more animals than ANY species??????

G'day Dipcdame,

If they are outside, unsupervised, what else do you call it other than roaming? I don't mind cats, as long as they are responsibly looked after...I even own a cat...his name is Henry Cat :)

I am definitely advocating the euthenasia of all feral animals, whether it be cats, cane toads, turtleneck doves or Red-Eared Sliders. Please don't try and demonise what I am saying by referring to it as "killing"...even though yes, we are "killing" them, the way you say it makes it sound violent and cruel.

I am against the needless killing of native animals - they are most definitely more important in a conservation context than anything else.

Again, I must point out - the humane death of a feral animal is not cruel. They feel no pain, they do not realise they are about to die...they simply go to sleep. I am not advocating violence or cruelty - simple effective management of feral animals.

They are renting, and im sure the landlord knows as they would have inspections?

Its not near my place, its next door to my brothers and i dont even live anywhere near there so i cant do much. I was just wondering if anything can be done, they have tried calling rspca.

Jonno- Are you trying to say that *I* am irresposible for not *killing* these cats?

G'day Dipcdame,

If they are outside, unsupervised, what else do you call it other than roaming? I don't mind cats, as long as they are responsibly looked after...I even own a cat...his name is Henry Cat :)

I am definitely advocating the euthenasia of all feral animals, whether it be cats, cane toads, turtleneck doves or Red-Eared Sliders. Please don't try and demonise what I am saying by referring to it as "killing"...even though yes, we are "killing" them, the way you say it makes it sound violent and cruel.

I am against the needless killing of native animals - they are most definitely more important in a conservation context than anything else.

Again, I must point out - the humane death of a feral animal is not cruel. They feel no pain, they do not realise they are about to die...they simply go to sleep. I am not advocating violence or cruelty - simple effective management of feral animals.

This is becoming a personal thing now..... Jonno.............. these cats you speak of here ARE NOT FERAL...... THEY HAVE OWNERS...................... KILLING an animal is just that, don't try and pretty it up with a "nice" way of putting it........ you are advocating KILLING AN ANIMAL. native or not, they have a right to live, who is to say one animal SHOULD live and one SHOUDN;T?? Reptiles KILL other, lesser animals for their food, it's THEIR instinct too........... why should we say that has more worth just because they are native.............. WE are NOT native to THIS land???????? WE KILLED off the aboriginal native people of Tasmania so that now thay are extinct... a lot now KILL native animals...... snakes too.... that they can get in their gunsights...... if it moves............. KILL it................ do we euthanase them??? They won't know, they will just go to sleep with an overdose of Morpheine?????

It's only perfect for people who hate cats. They are other ways of handling the situation than going around killing your neighbour's pets just because you don't agree with what they're doing.

Maybe your brother could start up a little 'kitty relocation program'. :lol:

i dont hate cats at all i have two myself de sexd vaccinated and keept inside 24/7 and kept to fat to hunt even if they did get out :D but i still kill feral cats without batting an eyelid wich is effectively what those are. id offer to help if i was in nsw but im not. you brother should try calling the relevant wildlife authoities like whoever issues wildlife licences they may put it through or he can just wait till the law is passed prevnting cat being outside at all. they should hurry up with that.

They are renting, and im sure the landlord knows as they would have inspections?

Its not near my place, its next door to my brothers and i dont even live anywhere near there so i cant do much. I was just wondering if anything can be done, they have tried calling rspca.

Jonno- Are you trying to say that *I* am irresposible for not *killing* these cats?

I wouldn't say you're irresponsible for not killing them, but it's definitely irresponsible to do nothing at all. "All that is needed for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing". I like to envisage those who keep reptiles as having a higher awareness of native Australia but I am constantly reminded that as this hobby becomes more mainstream, my dream is becoming more distant...

Ummmmm.....Who said they were ROAMING.................and these are NOT feral animals........... THEY HAVE OWNERS........................ NO-ONE has said they are roaming.................. I honestly am sick and tired of hearing from tunnel-visioned anti-cat people................. what you are advocating Jonno, is KILLING a live animal.......... isn't this what you are SUPPOSED to be against, or is one type of animal more important than another.......... please supply us with a list of what is more important than what........... what cames at the top of the list? what is at the bottom??? where do humans come in this, those who kill far more animals than ANY species?????? Should humans be trapped and euthanased too..... ALL of them????

Ummm.... honey, do you have snakes at all? You know they eat rats and mice dont you? So you would know that everyone on this site who owns snakes "advocates killing a live animal" in a way as they either kill the rodents themselves or support people who kill the rodents for them by buying them off those people...Some snakes also eat fish and chickens etc etc... they all have to be killed by people first... well some people may feed the fish live to the snakes for them to catch and kill themselves... And if you have lizards or anything like that... you would have somewhere along the line have also been advocating it that way also as lizards eat crickets and roaches... these may not be animals persay, but they ARE living creatures... So aren't you a touch hypocritical there? Yes these animals can be seen as pests, but they can also be pets to some people too, but the fact is, they all have to be killed for another to survive... I don't see people turning their snakes into vegans anytime soon... its a sad sorry fact of life... some people may refer to it as the circle of life...

Yes the cats will be put down, but they could also be "recycled" by feeding it to a snake or thrown into the bush for some other scavenger animals to thrive on if it puts ur mind at rest any better... This all depends on HOW the cat was euthanised of course... Either way, for most pets you have, they eat other animals... i.e. dog and cat food.... pigs, goats, horses, cows, sheep, anything like that all goes into making tinned dog food, and any sort of fish and whatever, they all go into making cat food, all examples of "advocating killing a live animal" as you put it, as every one of those animals had to be killed to feed your little Rover or Skitty kitty.... So aren't you showing a bit of "pro-cat tunnel-vision" in not thinking of every other animal that has to die for another? Yes this example is to feed another animal, but I'm trying to shed light on the fact that you ALSO advocate the killing of a live animal by buying all those cans of dog and cat food for your little fluffies and all those furry rats, rabbits, guinea pigs, mice and chickens etc that you feed your snakes... or those crickets and roaches that you feed you lizards LIVE... and lets go one step further here... if you eat meat, guess what YOU ARE STILL ALSO ADVOCATING KILLING A LIVE ANIMAL!

So seriously have a bit more of a think on that... and honey, one more thing... they ARE roaming if they are catching and killing wild animals... and esp. if these people are having to scrap up the remains of the wildlife off their lawn... like someone stated... And it has nothing to do with what animal is more important than the other... It is illegal for these stupid owners to let their cats out to kill wildlife... So hence they should be taken to the pound, and if they have a collar, then the council will save them to be claimed by the owners... but if they have no collar or registration tag, (which it sounds to me like these neighbours cats dont have collars or tags etc) then the council will not hesitate to euthanise them immediately... So are you going to go complain to the council for euthanising these improperly cared for animals and rescue every single one of them? I doubt it...

Its not about cat-hating or cat-loving, its about whats realistic and practical, and what is in the best interests of the situation (people and cats welfare - if it isnt being looked after then its better for it to be put down than live an unforfilling life in a pound etc etc in some/most cases) and the surrounding wildlife...

This is becoming a personal thing now..... Jonno.............. these cats you speak of here ARE NOT FERAL...... THEY HAVE OWNERS...................... KILLING an animal is just that, don't try and pretty it up with a "nice" way of putting it........ you are advocating KILLING AN ANIMAL. native or not, they have a right to live, who is to say one animal SHOULD live and one SHOUDN;T?? Reptiles KILL other, lesser animals for their food, it's THEIR instinct too........... why should we say that has more worth just because they are native.............. WE are NOT native to THIS land???????? WE KILLED off the aboriginal native people of Tasmania so that now thay are extinct... a lot now KILL native animals...... snakes too.... that they can get in their gunsights...... if it moves............. KILL it................ do we euthanase them??? They won't know, they will just go to sleep with an overdose of Morpheine?????

G'day Dipcdame,

Not personal at all for me...I'm just basing my stand on my love for native Australia and doing what I can, however inconsequential, to protect it...

I have little concern for the owners of roaming cats - they know the dangers that lurk and everybody knows that cats hunt...obviously these owners don't have any respect for our native animals and couldn't care less about their pets by exposing them to the dangers of the busy streets, fights with other cats and strange people with cat traps in their backyards.

Trying to draw a parallel between killing feral cats and killing humans isn't very relevant.

We should say what has more "worth" simply because no other animal is capable of doing so. Without our help, a multitude of species will become extinct. Of course, cats aren't the sole source of this problem but they definitely don't help the situation. I think you will find there are very, very few people who have the "If it moves, shoot it" mentality.

Please explain why these cats shouldn't be euthanised? Animal shelters are overflowing, there are constantly giveaway cats in the paper, the owners mustn't care too much for them...what is so wrong with a bit of permanent sleep time?

I wouldn't say you're irresponsible for not killing them, but it's definitely irresponsible to do nothing at all. "All that is needed for the triump of evil is for good men to do nothing". I like to envisage those who keep reptiles as having a higher awareness of native Australia but I am constantly reminded that as this hobby becomes more mainstream, my dream is becoming more distant...

What would u like me to do? Drive 7 hours to Albury and catch the cats ?

If i didnt give a rats backside, i wouldnt be asking here now would i ?
There is nothing i can do but ask advice and pass on to my brother, which IS what im doing.

From what I understand, if your brother can trap them and take them down to the RSPCA, if the owner bothers to look for them he will have to pay to have them registered and chipped etc and also a fee for the RSPCA's time and effort... which will hopefully prevent him from letting it happen again. If he doesn't bother to collect them they will be rehomed or euthanised according to RSPCA policy.

I think that's a better alternative than your brother euthanising them himself.

Jonno, you work on saving NATIVE animals, I shall advocate for saving ALL animals.................. no mtter how.......... where there is life, there is hope, and ALL things living DESERVE to live...............................I don't CARE for KILLING anything. Full stop.

No insect spray in your household... no termite treatments
Would you eradicate fleas from your pets... mites from snakes etc
Life is Life after all isnt it?

Jonno, you work on saving NATIVE animals, I shall advocate for saving ALL animals.................. no mtter how.......... where there is life, there is hope, and ALL things living DESERVE to live...............................I don't CARE for KILLING anything. Full stop.

PMSL well then what about all those animals that you indirectly advocate the killing of to feed your snakes and any other omnivorous or carnivorous animal/pet you own...??? Doubt you can turn a snake or cat herbivorous... a dog...maybe...but it will be more than a mission!

Have you ever set a mouse or rat trap, laid ratsak, swatted a fly or mozzie, sprayed flyspray, any form of pest control? anything like that? I'm sure you have done some form of the above, hence your argument is null and void, as it is completely hypocritical! How do you come into the possession of your dead frozen rodents that you feed your snake? I am genuinely curious...

It may be killing, but in the way jonno is meaning it, it is not inflicting any pain or anything on the animal! HE ISNT ADVOCATING INFLICTING HARM ON THE ANIMAL!!! JUST PEACEFUL PAIN-FREE PERMANENT SLEEP/DEATH! Are you going to get on your high horse and band wagon and go and protest for all the rodents and feeder animals that get killed? are you going to stand up to most of Australia and the world and tell them they can't eat meat? Are you going to do anything like that? Doubt it! And you never answered my vegetarian/meatatarian question... Do you eat meat or not? Another answer I am genuinely interested in hearing... me, I eat meat...Have no problemo admitting it either... my fav is those cute fluffy little lambies :lol: Man their shanks taste good!

Last edited:
i'll take a tangent on this circular repetative thread and say: sneak next door with thai fish source in a sprey bottle and sprey it in your neighbours house window.1: the cat will probably love to go inside.2: they wont be able to find the smell and their house will stink to the point that they will move out. they probably wont get their bond back either...
hahahah. revenge is so good served cold.

It depends on how tough your brother is. If the cats are unsupervised outside, it is legal to capture them and euthanise them yourself.

Really? Is this legal for dogs too? I was pretty sure if you caught and killed someone's pet yo got in a fair bit of trouble for it..

Why would the council or RSPCA be allowed to do anything? As long as a cat or dog is collared and chipped there is no law against it being outside. Is there? Or am I just ignorant?

Lol at PhilK- I think you could be right.

HOWEVER- Guys, this is not a love/hate Cat debate. I do believe the question asked was for help on what could be done about a problem. I KNOW Faye shut down the love/hate cat debate today (SMART MODERATOR!!!)... Can we focus on ideas to help and NOT flame Cat haters, or Cat Lovers??

When it comes to cats, threads have to disinegrate.
You have been given some choices of what your brother can do.
You can always warn your neighbour first, then put out a trap then take them to the pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back