What do you Belive with Shedding

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Do you spray water to help with a shed

• I believe it helps and i do it

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • Unsure, But do it anyway

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Dont belive but still do it

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Unsure but dont do it

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Dont belive, but might do it!

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Dont belive so never will!

Votes: 7 8.3%
  • Only with hatcho's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Only help after bad shed!

Votes: 27 32.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Barno111

Reaction score
Just doing a quick poll to see what you guys think about hummidity and shedding, And what you do to help assits with it. I have read up on that spraying water into the enclosure once or twice a day whilst the snake is about to shed will assit it with its shed. So tell me what you do if its anything at all!

I never really had to assist in any way, but i guess it depends on species and your location. I just let him be and do his thing because he gets really stressed if i disturb him when he's in shed.

I dont spray, but i move the waterbowl nearer to the light to increase humidity..
All my snakes never had a bad shed, all in one piece :)

I try to make sure all of my snakes have a waterbowl big enough for them to submerge themselves in, always kept in the cool end.

I have found that with some of my snakes since going to fake grass they need a light spray about 4-5 days before helps them shed in one piece but never had problems before when I used newspaper and gravel. But bigger water bowls have also helped so don't have to do it as often now.

i usually bath them instead of spraying, just put it on my arm and fill the sink and let it move around a bit, have sprayed before though. We usually do it when we see them coming onto shed, and 9 times out of ten, they go back to their enclosure and shed within the hour.

i mist with room temperature water twice a day with all my snakes once they go cloudy till they shed. since ive started doing this about 6-8 months ago i havent had a shedding problem. before this i was having snakes only partly shedding, or taking hours rubbing trying to shed only to have sheds partly comming off

I dont spray, but i move the waterbowl nearer to the light to increase humidity..
All my snakes never had a bad shed, all in one piece :)
Ido the same . don't know if it helps but can't hurt Ron

I don't do anything, in 5 years i have had one retained eye cap and that was during the wet season when we have really high humidity.

If the animal is being kept properly you don't need to spray.

Agreed. Their enclosure should replicate their natural environment close enough that spraying isn't required.

Newborns up to there first shed but other than that never have never needed to.

I have never misted my snake enclosures and have never had any problems with my snakes shedding. I use Breeders choice so humidity is very low in all my snake enclosures and they all shed fine :). I was under the impression that a fluid forms between the new skin and old skin and that is what aids in the sloughing process.

Agreed. Their enclosure should replicate their natural environment close enough that spraying isn't required.

I haven't seen any enclosure that replicates there natural environment, spraying is an option you can use to create humidty it works. I don't however spray my cages I tend to move the water bowl closer to the heat source to get the higher humidity for a day or two if it looks like they are taking a long time to shed. Problematic shedders in my opinion should always be delt with by warm soaks and warm wet towls.

I have never misted my snake enclosures and have never had any problems with my snakes shedding. I use Breeders choice so humidity is very low in all my snake enclosures and they all shed fine :). I was under the impression that a fluid forms between the new skin and old skin and that is what aids in the sloughing process.

yes thats true Geck what the extra humidity does is softens up the outside of the scale which can help if the animals a bit dehydrated or if they are sick for some reason

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back