"Feral" is a term used too loosely here

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Blindsnake, what is your current relationship like with this neighbour, are you scared of confrontation with them,, Could you warn them that you are getting a trap and be upfront about it, . Its a tough one cause you have to live there but my sugar gliders would be far more important to me than a peckerhead neighbour.

We have a problem with a local cat ATM. We have sugar gliders out side, and a neighbour lets their cat out 24/7. Most nights it comes around and tries to kill my gliders.
Our problem is, I know If I go around and tell this person whats going on and they should keep there cat inside, Thats not going to happen. So the next step is to trap it and take it to the pound. Now if the cat has a micro chip, they will get a call that there cat has been cought and the need to pick it up. My third option is for the cat to just dissappear.
Now if I do the first and second options, the owner will put two and two together and figure out that it was me, and if option three should happen I'll get the finger pointed at me...
So my question is to the pussy lovers.
What would you do?

'edited...rude'Get yourself a good tempered dog. they should leave your animals alone and will keep the cat out if u teach it just to chase, yes that can be done. if dogs not for u, then as cracksinthepitch said

Last edited by a moderator:
Get yourself a good tempered dog. they should leave your animals alone and will keep the cat out if u teach it just to chase, yes that can be done. if dogs not for u, then as cracksinthepitch said

Oh god. Don't tell me your dogs wear studded collars.

*rolls eyes*

We have a problem with a local cat ATM. We have sugar gliders out side, and a neighbour lets their cat out 24/7. Most nights it comes around and tries to kill my gliders.

I had a big cat problem when I used to keep a lot of native birds. An electric fence on top of the aviary did the trick, not to kill them but there sure was a lot of noise when they hit it! My neighbour has several aviaries and was losing a lot of birds to being frightened by cats. I told him about the electric fence and now he uses it and now not a problem!

I know talking to this person is a waste of time.Im not sure of what is more feral, her or the cat. we dont really get on. The gliders that its hasseling are out the front under the verandah, and when I see the cat on the night cam. I get the dog to chase it. (he loves it)

If I speak to her about it and she does nothing (as I know will be the case) then I lose all options with her knowing my intentions, so when I get annoyed enough and dispose of the cat. I'll have her at the door blaiming me for her cat dissapearing.

I know talking to this person is a waste of time.Im not sure of what is more feral, her or the cat. we dont really get on. The gliders that its hasseling are out the front under the verandah, and when I see the cat on the night cam. I get the dog to chase it. (he loves it)

If I speak to her about it and she does nothing (as I know will be the case) then I lose all options with her knowing my intentions, so when I get annoyed enough and dispose of the cat. I'll have her at the door blaiming me for her cat dissapearing.

I would'nt get my dog to chase it, i just think that's cruel to the cat.
Just confront her, and then take it to the pound.

To blindsnake
Just tell her to keep the cat under control or you will nail it to her front door,
works for me.
Someone said "grow a set" earlier in this thread. This could apply to you.
No offence meant though.

Oh god. Don't tell me your dogs wear studded collars.

*rolls eyes*

lol hell no. they don't were any as they kept losing them in the bush or the sea water kept destroying them over time. besides they don't need themthey stay in the yard and it's called scruffing them by the loose skin if they disobey. and put them on the chain for half an hour...

besides i don't own them now. the ex wanted to keep them so she kept them and i kept the reptiles

I would'nt get my dog to chase it, i just think that's cruel to the cat.
Just confront her, and then take it to the pound.

good point, but the cat seems like a gluten for punishment if it keeps goin back.... and the electric fence is an excellent method to that works for many animals, although it can be pricey for a good 1

Off track but...

Dingos are a native dog ,
when an animal has been in a country for 20,000 years give or take,it is a part of its environment.
Its all about eduation.

YEAH???? Well I KNOW what DINGOES look like... But when mongrels drop their 'no longer wanted' dogs off and they HYBRIDISE with the Dingoes they ARE NOT Dingoes... They are feral dogs!! So I still support 1080!!!

Off track but...

Dingos are a native dog ,
when an animal has been in a country for 20,000 years give or take,it is a part of its environment.
Its all about eduation.

think you will find that they were imported bout 8000- 10000 yrs ago, (don't quote me) i thought it was over 20000 to until i heard different yesterday, havent looked into it yet tho...

i'd love to own a pure bred tho, they are great animals, and don't smell like wet dog unless they're hybrid

Thats why you should do it legally by trapping it and taking it to the pound or local shelter.

If you dont follow the law she may cause you problems even more so than if you do.

I would not spend my money putting electric fences up if i was you, the neighbour is the one who is breaking the law.

If this was me i would get my partner to go over and sort it out he wont take there ****.

YEAH???? Well I KNOW what DINGOES look like... But when mongrels drop their 'no longer wanted' dogs off and they HYBRIDISE with the Dingoes they ARE NOT Dingoes... They are feral dogs!! So I still support 1080!!!

1080 is indiscriminate and a very painful and inhumane death. I have seen a lot of this in NZ prior to arriving over here. This would kill possums etc. depending on how it is baited. In NZ it used to be put into carrots and just about anything would eat them.

Caused a lot of nasty deaths.

To wild storm,
when you said dingo i thought you meant dingo, not wild feral dog.
Silly me
P.S, we use the 1080 as well as firearms for the foxes as well so i wont argue the merits of this poison with you.
Apart from the painful and prolonged death, it is very effective.

i own 3 cats 2 of them ferrals i picked up on the streets luckily before some moron decided to kill them (all of which live stay indoors). i dont see why people hate them so much. humans are doing more damage to the environment then cats, yeah jump down my throat say whatever you wish to me doesnt phase me. personally i find it amusing how you go on about how your doing such a major service when the thing is you probably eat meat yourself. does that mean vegans have a right to kill you because in their eyes they see you as a feral human? of corse not. Morons like you that hold your life over every one elses stop trying to play god, your no better then the cat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back