Bredli Shed - Eggs

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buck

Reaction score
Ok now I know what the text books say but i'm after actual experiences here. What are peoples experiences with the time from pre-lay to egg deposition?

I have a girl that I'm almost positive is gravid but today is day 30 and I have to admit I'm starting to get a little worried. This will be her first clutch so I have no history help determine whether I really need to start to worry.

As I said I know what the books say and what the average is but is it starting to go too long?

My bredli girls go 30 days
But with reptiles nothing is set in stone, ie, they are all different
Cheers
Sandee :)

I've never bred Bredls, but i've had a female diamond go 36 days. Rarely do my diamonds lay eggs in under 30 days from pre-lay shed.

My roughie girl laid on day 36. - not a bredli I know, but still longer than I was expecting for her.

I dunno about bredli, but MatE on this site had a jungle go 57 days before laying. Ended up with 6 good looking eggs and 4 hatched I believe.

Bredli

Buck
My bredli/ The period between Pre-lay slough and egg laying -the 2006 season pre-lay slough was 21/11/06 and egg laying was on 20/12/06. The 2008 season pre-lay slough was 22/11/08 and egg laying on 18/12/08. Just for you interest all heating and cooling conditions were the same for 2006 and 2008. She layed 11 eggs 2006 -rested 2007 and layed 21 eggs 2008.

Well still nothing and the more I look at her and monitor her behaviour the more I think she isn't gravid. She is still holding what looks like great condition on her despite not being fed since April which is what was making me think she was gravid. I think I will give her a few more days and start giving her small feeds just incase. I have heard that bredli take longer to get up to breeding size than other pythons so there is a possibility that she was still a bit too small this season, although she is well over 6'. The other possibility is that she was incorrectly sexed as a female.
Either way it looks as though there will be no bredli offspring here this season. Lucky I have the jungle eggs cooking!!!

Thanks for the info guys!!!

I got three clutches of bredli eggs this year, all within 18-22 days of prelay.

I picked her up 12 months ago and at the moment I can't remember if she was 2 or 3 at the time. The more I think about it the more I think she would be 4 now.

Hey there Buck! Man I just typed out a heap of reply and leaned on something on the keyboard and erased it. So here's the short version. :lol:
Of three bredli clutches this season prelay to lay periods were 25,26 and 30 days. The last clutch was laid just yesterday.
Has the weight on the snake moved down towards the vent?
Any nesting behaviour?
How's the young ones colouring up?
Best of luck mate.

Hahaha I'll settle for the short version.

I don't really think the weight has moved though a couple of times when I have looked at her I would have sworn she had pushed them down. I have even seen what I thought was bulges along her body and at the time figured they were eggs.
She has been quite a bit more active over the last 1-2 weeks and at one stage had pushed the sphagnum moss to one side of the lay box then nothing for several days. I thought she may be unhappy with the lay box as it is only 200-250mm tall so I put another,much taller box in with the original to give her a choice but still nothing. Maybe I was reading more into what I was originally seeing - although she did shed on the 28th Nov.????? Time will tell I guess.

The young ones are going really well. I haven't got any pics of them but they are colouring up nicely.
The two jungles I got from you the year before last are here http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/1333172-post20

They are starting to show some real promise.

Last edited:
my girl laid on xmas day, exactly 28 days after pre lay. I have been told they can phantom, so therefore, show signs that they r gravid, then return to normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back