Old farts only

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lol my partner has been a member for years... he knows less about the site then i do :p but i couldnt care less about that section seems like one of the most boring sections of the site lol!

Too true Lana.....most boring section on the site...an actual section that acually talks about reptiles on a reptile site......

Maybe you shouldn't look at it as getting advice from the inexperienced or kids but simply that they have been around for 2 years so people know whether to ignore or heed their advice ;)
It is a stupid forum, but given my "forum age" I'll be right there with earthling so suck it up :lol:

In regards to the old farts page............Just an observation, not a critisisim!!!!!:rolleyes:

You need to be a member for two years to be entilted to post as it 'proof' you have knowledge of the hobby.

All this proves is that the current members who are eligable to post in there found this forum more than two years ago.

I found this forum a few months back but I have been keeping reptiles for over 20 years. I'm certainly not as experienced as some others and my collection certainally isn't as vast as some............... but I'm sure not green.

By the logic shown in the access requirements to the Old Farts page it almost promotes the "Newbies don't know their **** from thier elbow" attitude I've come across reading through old threads. I understand that there is no real way of pre-determining who knows what etc etc but maybe a little forethough on the way certain things are phrased wouldn't go astray.

I have a pretty thick skin (bit like a rhino) but I do find it a little irritating when considered innept due to my 'lacking' membership time. It wouldn't surprise me if a few others feel the same.

Cheers:lol: my whinge is over:rolleyes:

A very good point! And instead of putting new members down we should be welcoming fellow herpetologists. Length of time as a herp doesn't really count either as a person could keep one reptile for ten yrs and be considered an oldie and another person could keep dozens of reptiles for 2 yrs and be considered green, with the so called green indivdual having the greater experience base. What I do like about the veterans concept is the chance to get advice from those more experienced than myself. Perhaps if there were more than one way to join the veterans as I welcome the advice of someone keeping herps for 20yrs.

At one time I was "ageist" and hoped there would be a forum for older members wishing to interact with other adults(once the kids are in bed I don't want to interact with other kids), and a forum for the younger ppl to interact with their peers as well. But after years of reading posts I realised I was wrong with my generalisations. Some of the younger members made some very mature points and some of the older members displayed immense immaturity. I still like the idea of age based forums for ppl to chat to peers, but without my ignorant assumption that the older ppl would be more mature or knowledgable.

I don't care that I can't post in there. I've read through it and yes, its boring.

I'm just wondering how the amount of time spent in front of a computer equates to experience keeping reptiles.

I actually think its a good idea having a veteran section. You have to remember that these 2yr+ members have spent two years cycling through so many repeated "what snake should I get" posts. It allows them to ultimately discuss herp related topics without the contraversy and repeated discussions. Dont think of it as an exclusion zone for new members but rather a reward zone for members who have well and truely done their part on this forum.

No where does it state that those members are more knowledgable or anything of the sort and quite frankly if you dont like it and think its boring.. no one is forcing you to read it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back