Contraceptive pill to blame for male infertility

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Earthling

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Out the Back of Queensland and a bit more
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/01/04/2458847.htm

Contraceptive pill to blame for male infertility: Vatican

The contraceptive pill is polluting the environment and is in part responsible for male infertility, a report in the Vatican newspaper L'Osservatore Romano said.
The pill "has for some years had devastating effects on the environment by releasing tonnes of hormones into nature" through female urine, said Pedro Jose Maria Simon Castellvi, president of the International Federation of Catholic Medical Associations, in the report.
"We have sufficient evidence to state that a non-negligible cause of male infertility in the West is the environmental pollution caused by the pill," he said, without elaborating further.
"We are faced with a clear anti-environmental effect which demands more explanation on the part of the manufacturers."
The article was promptly dismissed by several organisations.
"Once metabolised, the hormones contained in oral contraceptives no longer have any of the characteristic effects of feminine hormones," said Gianbenedetto Melis, vice-president of a contraceptive research association, quoted by the ANSA news agency.
The hormones contained in the pill such as oestrogen "are present everywhere... in plastic, in disinfectants, in meat that we eat," added Flavia Franconi, of the Society of Italian Pharmacology.
Pope Benedict XVI in October reaffirmed the Roman Catholic Church's condemnation of artificial birth control.
Contraception "means negating the intimate truth of conjugal love, with which the divine gift (of life) is communicated," the leader of the world's 1.1 billion Roman Catholics wrote on the 40th anniversary of a papal encyclical on the topic.
An encyclical is a letter usually treating some aspect of Catholic doctrine and issued occasionally by the pope.
The landmark document, whose title in English is On the Regulation of Birth, was published at a time when the development of the Pill was giving new sexual freedom to women across the world.
Millions of Catholics distanced themselves from Rome as a result.

What they forgot to say, is that the official evidence, is that God told him in a dream.......:rolleyes:

Yeah, I would really trust some hardline, fundamentalist German theologian in matters of pharmacology over a scientific research body...

The Vatican really needs to open its eyes and take responsibility for the suffering that its stance on birth control is inflicting on its followers. Perhaps if they join the 21st century then they won't see their attendance numbers plummeting faster than any time in history.

i was gonna say, anyone realise who published the article.. no duh!

i should write an article on how the world is over populated. i think that has more of a reasoning and stance then birth control hormones. anyone ever seen the amount of junk in the food you eat?

What I find funny, is that if you believe in god (and I don't) then he provided men and women to go forth and multiply but the Catholic Priests aren't allowed to have sex with women. (Unfortunately some don't seem to have a problem having sex with young boys, but that's a while other issue).

Religians as a whole are losing followers by the thousands due to the fact that they are living in the past and promoting ridiculous messages such as 'do not use contraception'. Yes, it's so much better to bring millions of unwanted children into the world.

What I find funny, is that if you believe in god (and I don't) then he provided men and women to go forth and multiply but the Catholic Priests aren't allowed to have sex with women. (Unfortunately some don't seem to have a problem having sex with young boys, but that's a while other issue).

Religians as a whole are losing followers by the thousands due to the fact that they are living in the past and promoting ridiculous messages such as 'do not use contraception'. Yes, it's so much better to bring millions of unwanted children into the world.

Once upon a time priests did marry just as protestant ministers do. Some one decided that this was not cool so they stopped allowing it.

If you keep in mind that two people are supposed to marry for life and raise their children into the faith and that the parents will tithe and the children should marry and procreate and tithe then the more children borne the more money the church gets. See why birth control would be considered bad from a business, I mean religious, standpoint? Fewer future sources of income.

It makes perfect sense, it just isn't practical in this day and age. Once upon a time women and children died during child birth so you needed to keep breeding to keep the revenue coming!

The Catholic Church, doing it's part to make Scientology seem like a viable religion....

Once upon a time women and children died during child birth so you needed to keep breeding to keep the revenue coming!

Considering also that the church has caused so many wars over the years, I guess they figure they have to replace all those dead soldiers somehow.

My Mother told me years ago about the effect of hormones to a woman's body (her sister & brother-in-law are doctors) apparently if the pill fails and you fall pregnant there are high risks of Birth defects.

She also went on to tell me about a lake (sorry, can't remember where... Like all her 'lectures' I started to ignore them after awhile) that the sewerage ended up in. Apparently (this came from the Doctors) the sex of the fish started to change, all becoming male... Then some scientist got interested, because there were males being born what had fertility problems in the city/town that drank the water.

I have a mate who's mother took the pill and he has fertility problems too. But it isn't the count, but the liquid!!!

I don't know, I don't really care... Why? Because I use a contreceptive, I know what changes it has made to my body... I am not enjoying them, so I won't be using it again (although I use it years ago with no ill effect... Go figure!!) Personally I believe that every body is effected differently, and every body handles it differently.

Last edited:
thats it im givin up the pill hope i dont get preggers now by the way there is no god ;)

My body does not respond well to synthetic hormones which is why I cannot/willnot use them.

My major problem with the Vatican's views on contraceptives is the hardline stance against condoms in AIDS ravaged parts of the world.

Lizzie

My Mother told me years ago about the effect of hormones to a woman's body (her sister & brother-in-law are doctors) apparently if the pill fails and you fall pregnant there are high risks of Birth defects.

She also went on to tell me about a lake (sorry, can't remember where... Like all her 'lectures' I started to ignore them after awhile) that the sewerage ended up in. Apparently (this came from the Doctors) the sex of the fish started to change, all becoming male... Then some scientist got interested, because there were males being born what had fertility problems in the city/town that drank the water.

I have a mate who's mother took the pill and he has fertility problems too. But it isn't the count, but the liquid!!!

I don't know, I don't really care... Why? Because I use a contreceptive, I know what changes it has made to my body... I am not enjoying them, so I won't be using it again (although I use it years ago with no ill effect... Go figure!!) Personally I believe that every body is effected differently, and every body handles it differently.

I have heard this story about fish too - I came accross it while researching a paper on recycled water (by memory it was feminisation of fish in South America) - however from what I understand the cause was put down to chemical runoff from industry containing estrogen like substances, rather than hormones being excreted by women on the pill!

My major problem with the Vatican's views on contraceptives is the hardline stance against condoms in AIDS ravaged parts of the world.

Lizzie

Catholocism isn't popular in Africa, so keeping them alive isn't going to help their revenue. I was actually doing some research on contraceptives recently and was surprised to find that recent research has indicated that the assumptions about the pill causing birth defects are invalid.

I think that when you're considering studies which find a sex bias or other anomolies in populations of fish living in sewage, you might want to consider that living in sewage is going to have all sorts of nasty affects, with or without hormones :lol: You really can't say exactly which aspect of living in excrement is causing the problem, and a trace of synthetic hormone is probably the least of your worries ;)

As for anything which comes for the Vatican... well, while they may match other fairytale writers in terms of the proportion of fiction in their work, it's not as enjoyable to read and doesn't come with meaningful messages for children, so isn't worth bothering with.

To any Catholics I've offended, please, read the bible. No, seriously, actually read the thing. Catholocism isn't actually based on Christianity (don't get me wrong, I'm an athiest/agnostic! Don't shoot! ;) )

Catholocism isn't actually based on Christianity

There are people who think that?
Then again I've met people who think that Protestantism isn't related to Judaism.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back