Some enclosure help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Viridae

Reaction score
Some enclosure help (with pic!)

OK I am currently in the process of building a new enclosure for my MD - he is growing up and will need a nice new house soon. The enclosure is going to be 4 foot high, 4 foot wide and a little over 2 foot deep. It has a pine frame with 9mm ply cladding. It will (likely) have glass sliding doors at the front set on ball bearing rollers (for ease of use, glass that size will be heavy). I am wondering two things. 1. My boy linguine is currently a bit over a year old and over a metre in length - I was wondering what age/size it would be appropriate to move him into his new house. Secondly I was wondering about heating options - I was thinking Ceramic heat emitters - two or three of them as necessary. I was also looking at the reptile radiator available from the herp shop but wasn't sure whether it has sufficient heating capabilities. Am also going to run a double fluorescent tube for light.

Picture of the half finished enclosure attached. Since that was taken I added a ceiling, back wall and one of the side walls - then ran out of suitable pieces of ply.

Attachments

• Image039.jpg
    Image039.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
viridae - i would have thought you could move him anytime. As long there is a few places for him to hide if needed etc and good heat he will be fine. I have a few of the reptile radiators and they will crank out a lot of heat if needed. I would have thought they woudl do fine at creating a hot spot for you snake. Being aboreal as long as he can warm up a branch near the heat source he will be fine and as the enclosure will have solid sides and only glass fronts itshoul hold the heat ok as well. You could also try using a small vertical divider near the heat source to help creat more of a "hot spot" if needed.

Hope this helps,
Dave

viridae - i would have thought you could move him anytime. As long there is a few places for him to hide if needed etc and good heat he will be fine. I have a few of the reptile radiators and they will crank out a lot of heat if needed. I would have thought they woudl do fine at creating a hot spot for you snake. Being aboreal as long as he can warm up a branch near the heat source he will be fine and as the enclosure will have solid sides and only glass fronts itshoul hold the heat ok as well. You could also try using a small vertical divider near the heat source to help creat more of a "hot spot" if needed.

Hope this helps,
Dave

Thanks David, that helps immensely.

I forgot to mention another feature, the roof (as against the ceiling which is ply) will be made of solid pine and be constructed like a table top (to make it useful for putting stuff on if necessary) - I'm thinking pot plants to add some green and will be hinged at the back so I can access the internal ceiling space and the wiring within.

Some more pics of the building process.

Attachments

• Image040.jpg
    Image040.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 30
  • Image041.jpg
    Image041.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Image042.jpg
    Image042.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Image043.jpg