Electronic Pest Control, Safe for herp?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theduclos

Reaction score
Hey all. got a bit of a mouse problem at our joint. They came in when we had a plumbing problem and despite our best efforts of trapping we can't seem to rid ourselves of the problem. Now last night in our spare room I heard this crinkling of paper. Went in and moved some bags over and on of the little bastards had been tearing up an old poster to use as nesting I'd assume. My EWD just isn't big enough to eat em so thats one pest control I can't use. lol.

We have decided on getting those high frequency emitting devices to drive em out of the house. They say they are pet safe for dogs. But i was wondering just how safe they are for my dragon? Because we are getting frustrated trying to trap em. We initially started with standard mice traps but we only caught 1 and had many baits stripped. So we settled on these (image below) and have caught about 20 mice over the past 2 months. But it seems the problem is continuing instead of going away. And I assume the mice are becomming trap smart as we are catchng less and less as the time goes on but still finding dropping in corners.

What do you suggest if these electronic devices cannot be used?

Attachments

• 48044_2 Mouse Trap HumaneTN.jpg
    48044_2 Mouse Trap HumaneTN.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 428
Electronic animal scare away devices, such as the one's you mention plus the ones that keep snakes off your property and not to mention the expensive variety that go one the front of your car, to scare kangaroos out of your way, are all wonderfully engineered things! It would seem that a lot of time and energy have gone into the design and manufacture of these amazing devices! However, they all share one tiny little fault..................Quite simply, they don't work! Never have and never will!!!!!! Ask yourself this, if it scares mice away, why doesn't it scare me, my dog, cat, birds, friends, reptiles, flies, butterflies and little kids, away!
They don't work! But the people that sell them will tell you they will work! Save your money mate and invest in some rodent poison............it does work!

the way i read about it, they mentioned it works on a high frequency (above 25,000hz) a sound humans can't hear. But it drives them crazy a because they can't stand it they find a quieter area. I think if one of those silent dog whistles can affect dogs like they do, why wouldnt something like this work? thanks for your input though mate. it's noted. might just need to find myself a bloody good poison

I've had simular devices in the past but found the best control method for mice or rats is the good old rat trap use a bit of peanut butter on bread works a treat.

our mice are crafty. after continually stripping the baits off the standard mice trap i set them so they had less then a millimetre of steel holding the lever mech up. if you walked too close to em they set off. and they still stripped em. One night just to prove to my sister and partner i totally covered an entire trap (wood, metal, etc) in peanut butter. next morning it was half eaten, next afternoon and the bastard was totally stripped.

aye, we is got the crafty mouse in this house (scientific name of Muchus-painintheassus)

I had a mice problem, you need to get good mouse traps. I caught 8 mice within 3 hours of the first night. I was watching lord of the rings and kept hearing CLAP! every 20 mins or so.

Find out where their nest is, usually close to their food source. Or if you don't know where they live then just where they go to eat.

Now for the trap, the old wooden and metal traps are unreliable and the pressure needed to set them off is stupid. Woolworths has these updated version which are made of grey plastic, it works the same as the wooden/metal ones, but it has a plastic dome so that it looks like a mouth is eating the mouse when it is caught; it has a big plastic pressure point and metal spring system (you dont have to setup the length of the metal trap yourself, simply pinch the back to lift up the dome, takes literally 1 second) . I found that a tiny bit of pressure sets it off and have caught lots of baby mice with them too. I managed to kill the whole family of mice in 3 days ( 1st day 12 mice,2nd day 6, 3rd 2, then nothing else, no more mice poo or scratching sounds)

I recommend them above all else

Electronic devices i thought were just to scare them away, not to actually kill them

I don't like to use rat pellets/poison as it's warfarin and i have other pets in my house.

Last edited:
thanks for the idea polpii. will go have a look today for some. ive found there main entry zone to be behind the oven, they climb up the side and onto our kitchen benches. so obviously that's the hot spot for those traps. ill have a look for better traps, im also happy to throw a bit of poison down behind the oven too. i tried that as a first resort with a small bag of ratsack. but it doesn't seem to work. i might try one of those talon blocks. our 2 staffies wont be able to get near it. but its for that reason we can't just poison everywhere, yeah the plan with the electronic thing was to drive em away. i know it doesnt kill em but if it kept em out of the house then i would use it.

and pythonking. luckily we don't eat cereal eh? lol

Last edited:
Please yourself mate, but I think that if you invest your money in an electronic device, you will be sadly disapointed. If they worked as well as the manufacturer reckons, wouldn't every home have one and wouldn't we all be rodent free??????
Good trick No 47! When you catch a wild rat in a trap, be it a live catch trap, or a snap/break -back trap, the caught/dying rat will leave behind a "fear" smell and subsequent rats will not go near it! True! Now I know fear is an emotion and as such can't be smelt, but the physiological changes in the trapped/scared/dying rat can be smelt on or in the trap! Thus the others will avoid it like the plague! (pardon the pun!) Therefore, after I have trapped a rat, I then put trap in bucket and thoroughly scald/wash it with boiling water. This seems to remove the smell and the trap will work again. This does not seem to be as critical with mice! Try it and see!

We have decided on getting those high frequency emitting devices to drive em out of the house. They say they are pet safe for dogs. But i was wondering just how safe they are for my dragon?

They are definately safe for all animals, including rats and mice. Most normal modern homes are full of high frequency emitting devices anyway and the tests I have seen have involved pests of both four legged and insect variety crawling all over these devices without a care in the world.

Yeh we had a mouse problem and tried alot of different traps the one polpii is talking about is great.... also on the chicken farm (soooooo mannnnyyyyy mice) my golden lab spends her whole day finding the mice ( and shes bloody good at it) tormnting them ( playing soccer with them with her paws) then killing them and putting them on the lawn, that works good too i guess you can borro her if you like :D hehe anyway goodluck with your mice problem

A couple of years ago at our old house we had a mouse problem, They were in the spare room and had actually chewed a hole in one of the walls and were living in there. They also lived in this cardboard box (we discovered) We had gotten 2 cats earlier (inside cats only!) One day while in the room the box fell over and all the mice went running (that's how we discovered the hole and that they lived in the box.) So we blocked off the hole and that day the cats ended up leaving 20 dead rodents and were bringing us "presents" all day.

What's the Dome mouse trap from Woolworth's called?

Polpii,

Please, I need to know; what is the Dome mouse trap thing from Woolworth's called? Like you said below:

Woolworths has these updated version which are made of grey plastic, it works the same as the wooden/metal ones, but it has a plastic dome so that it looks like a mouth is eating the mouse when it is caught; it has a big plastic pressure point and metal spring system (you dont have to setup the length of the metal trap yourself, simply pinch the back to lift up the dome, takes literally 1 second) .

What is this thing called? Which section of Woolworth have it? I am looking for this one so I'll tested it out.

I got three bloody mouses in my bedroom. They took advantage of my deafness and the only way I could have known they was with me enjoyig my deafness is when my inscomnia acts up due to the crazy three-month Daylight Savings crap we're havinng and my regular sleep hours are all upside down and that's how I stayed up all night and caught this mouse running under my bed and another and another. Arrrhhhgggh!!!

I've been wondering too. The last couple of weeks I was sick, some sort of weird stomache bug or whatever it is, and I can't for the life of me figure out how I got the bug. Now I'm thinking it might be those damned mouses what gave me the bug!!

I just saw one, near the foot of my bed, brave as you pleae. Goddman it. 10:33 AM, and its bold as brass. The moment I saw it, I turned my head and it was chewing on something it picks up off the carpet. Damn it, I know what it is chewing, bread crumbs what fell of my plate a few times. Jeez. Now I'm worried about my books in the boxes all around my room. I have a bad feeling now. THe stacked boxes might be harbouring the mouses for all these years, and just lately I'm noticing them. Goddamn it. Thanks to the government I can't afford to move to my own place and yet I'm trapped with these pesky buggers and I know my books, those hard to find books, must be well-chewed up by now. Thanks a lot, greedy politicians. We shoudl call them RODENTS, instead. And damned me for my killer conscience so I can't even pushed anyone out of the way to get a killer job to get a killer wage for a killer house that i can afford!!! I'm so bitter that I feel maybe I can do it. No, I can't. Damn it. I can't. Thanks, Dad, for filling my head with nonsense when I was a kid. Thanks a lot! I'm stuck in a hell, with pesky mouses to play will-'o-the-whisps.

So, polpii, please, let me know what those dome trap things are called, even a pic will do, so I can see what they looks like and try to find them in the Woolworth near here. Okay, thanks.

defman

What is this thing called? Which section of Woolworth have it? I am looking for this one so I'll tested it out.

They are called, funnily enough, 'mouse traps', and you find them in the area with the pest control stuff. :lol:

I've used them myself, and caught a few, the main problem with them is they are difficult to set as they are so sensitive they go off so easily!! You need steady, calm hands. :)

our mice are crafty. after continually stripping the baits off the standard mice trap i set them so they had less then a millimetre of steel holding the lever mech up. if you walked too close to em they set off. and they still stripped em. One night just to prove to my sister and partner i totally covered an entire trap (wood, metal, etc) in peanut butter. next morning it was half eaten, next afternoon and the bastard was totally stripped.

aye, we is got the crafty mouse in this house (scientific name of Muchus-painintheassus)

You've got mice because you keep feeding them peanut butter.:)

Put some steel wool in the hole behind the oven if that's where they're getting in, I used to get them come through the same place. Small amount of peanut butter on the trap does the trick, the harder they have to go to get it off the better.

I got one of those electronic devices for when my dogs barked, they just went around the other side of the house and barked there.

They are definately safe for all animals, including rats and mice. Most normal modern homes are full of high frequency emitting devices anyway and the tests I have seen have involved pests of both four legged and insect variety crawling all over these devices without a care in the world.

Yep, they are a waste of money.

Beware of Ratsak if you have other pets though - a dog or cat who eats a rat rull of poison will die pretty terribly. I always stick with the snap traps...

When I trap mice I put a gob of peanut butter on the lever and tie a piece of nylon stocking / panty hose over it. Cheese cloth would probably work, too. I use thread or dental floss to tie it on. They can smell it but aren't able to just lick the bait off. Then, snick , right on their little necks. Blocking their entry ways is best, but if the building is old enough for them to have tunnels there are probably more than you can find.
Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back