small flies in incubator

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snakelady-viper

Reaction score
Can any one tell me what are the flies in the incubator?They seem to enter the eggs on pipping and the hatchling dies. Never had them before. Can I remove the eggs and give a light spray with top of decent and replace the eggs after odour has gone?

I know the flies you are talking about we lost a whole clutch of spotted pythons some years ago from the same bloody flies. I think the flies deposit their eggs in the substrate then as soon as the hatchlings slit the egg they take over. It is very sad to see perfect babies dead with maggots in the umbilical slit.
I would take eggs carefully out and wipe them with a clean damp tissues
then chuck the previous vermiculite (or whatever you are using.) Replace it with fresh stuff and hope for good luck
Cheers
Sandee :)

If the flies lay in the substrate, what type are you using and how do you think they got in there in the first place?:shock:

if they are really small flies then they are probably gnats, you can hang fly paper in the incubator which will take care of the adults, but I'm not sure how you treat the larvi in that situation

From memory I think the flies were "drosphilia ??" and they are so very tiny you would not think they could squeeze through gauze (but they did)
Cheers

I had the same problem this year I only had one egg hatch and they rest died. I kept wiping the eggs that where a tad wet and cleaned and wiped all magets and posible fly eggs off dead eggs. but they still came back and destroyed most of the eggs but I wasn't sure they died from the flies or the excess heat

From memory I think the flies were "drosphilia ??" and they are so very tiny you would not think they could squeeze through gauze (but they did)
Cheers

Drosophila doesn't really narrow it down - there is over 1500 different species in that genus. (unless of course you are talking about Drosophila melanogaster , the fruit flies used for genetics research)

they look like fruit fly the little mungrals, how do you keep them out of the incubator?

stick a small jar of fruit with gauze on it in the corner when they lay and the adults die throw the whole thing out.. just a thought..

yeah this does sound concerning.

first of all how do they get in there??

are the eggs already in the substrate??

carrion flies

sorry about spelling not sure but thats what they woudl be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back