Holidays

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mathal

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am really itching to get my first snake however I am going away on my honeymoon in May and I have nobody to care for my snake.

I will be away roughly 2 weeks.

What do people do that don't have people to care for the animals while they are away? Can I buy a water container that will store more than 2 weeks worth of water?

Would the snake be ok on its own for 2 weeks?

maybe a neighbour can come and change the water twice a week?

make sure ur snake has eaten, digested and pooed before u go away,...that way if any lights blow it wont have undigested food in its tummy.

what suburb are u in?

I have looked after friends reptiles while they have been away and had friends do the same for me.

Make a friend who doesnt mind reptiles and get them to check on it.

make sure ur snake has eaten, digested and pooed before u go away,...that way if any lights blow it wont have undigested food in its tummy.

Thats pretty much all you can do...

I recently went away for a couple of weeks and had timed it so all my animals had digested their meals b4 I went. Although I had someone come round and check on them once while I was away.

It won't hurt them at all to go 2 - 4 weeks without a meal. Much, much longer in some cases.

Whenever I go away, I stop feeding my snakes two or so weeks beforehand, fill the water bowl to the brim, and turn the heating down a bit so they're not as active and need more energy. The heat gets turned down to around 27C or so. They all get fed when I get back. Never had a problem.

I actually saw a water bowl somewhere that had a reservoir that looked to hold 500ml - 1l by the looks of it.

I was planning on feeding the snake about 2 weeks beforehand then doing a big clean / top up water and leaving him/her.

It's best if someone can just check the water bowls once or twice. My male Darwin has a knack for fouling his water bowl when we are gone.

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses...

I'll try to find a friend that can fill up the water bowl, otherwise I might need to find someone that I can drop the snake off to so they can snake sit for me :)

Cheers.

I went away recently (only for a week though) -

I put in 2 waterbowl in case one was emptied/knocked over/fouled etc.

A couple of smaller water dishes is a surer bet than one large one.

was gonna suggest more than one water bowl, but wouldnt that raise the humidity too much?

in 2 weeks i'd want a neigihbour checking at least once,...

Whenever I go away, I stop feeding my snakes two or so weeks beforehand, fill the water bowl to the brim, and turn the heating down a bit so they're not as active and need more energy. The heat gets turned down to around 27C or so. They all get fed when I get back. Never had a problem.

We go away for 2 weeks on holidays, I do what you do other than turn the heat down. There is always water left in the bowls in the enclosures when we get back. You really don't need anyone to check up on them unless you feel a bit uneasy about leaving it for that long.

A few months ago, we went overseas for 3 weeks, and my friend house sat for us. She was fine with most of the pets, but is VERY squeamish about the snake.

We had arranged for someone else to come feed him each week, so she didn't have to do anything with him...

But one day she came home, and the WHOLE click clack was white with 'steam' and she FREAKED OUT thinking she'd somehow 'steamed' and cooked the snake!

The poor thing had to open his box, take him out and hold him (god forbid!) while she discovered he'd just knocked his water over all over the hot end. She cleaned out the box, re-papered it, and put him back, then had a stiff drink and went to bed LOL!

Chris1 said:
was gonna suggest more than one water bowl, but wouldnt that raise the humidity too much?

Not if you turn the heat down or completely off, depending on where you live.

There is no reason to turn your heat down. dont turn your heat down.

I'm not going to argue with you Renagade. By turning the heat down, the snakes aren't as active and there's no risk of overheating (which could happen in my household). This is what's worked for me for several years and that's my opinion. Nothing more.

By turning the heat down, the snakes aren't as active and there's no risk of overheating (which could happen in my household).

I guess this would be fine as long as the climate is relatively stable, or the room can be kept at a steady enough temp. I'm not sure what the climate is like in Newcastle, but we couldn't try this here, even in summer it can get mighty cold in these mountains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back