Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Get a hatchling python of whatever species you like the most... They don't get to 6 foot+ overnight, by the time it gets to a large size you will have a few years experiance handling and be a competent keeper.

Sand for Morelia can lead to the substrate getting stuck in the heat pits and causing infection. I used fine grain red sand once, but it got underneath the snake's scutes and drove them insane. I changed to washed beach sand, and that's not too bad, but it's a little hard to clean and keep hygienic. Newspaper all the way.

Wild_Storm, in the wild they don't really live on loose, beach like sand, where they can't escape. But this is another "in-the-wild-they-" argument. My philosophy is that our animals aren't in the wild, and shouldn't be exposed to the dangers they other wise would be.

Im getting a spotted and I like the look of them, lol, if I was allowed something bigger than a spotted, I would go for either a Jungle or an MD :D

I got my first snake a few months ago. Before this I wasn't much of a snake handling person. But my little Bredli girl (7 months old when I got her) has made it a good transition for me. She was only little when I got her and I know she is growing. But I also know I still have a few years till she's a big girl. Obviously the child in question is going to be growing too, so I would say a 10 year old now will be 13 or so by the time a Bredli was big enough to be a bit tougher for the child. I think depending on the confidence of the child a Bredli would be a good choice. That's my opinion.

Monique

I got my first snake a few months ago. Before this I wasn't much of a snake handling person. But my little Bredli girl (7 months old when I got her) has made it a good transition for me. She was only little when I got her and I know she is growing. But I also know I still have a few years till she's a big girl. Obviously the child in question is going to be growing too, so I would say a 10 year old now will be 13 or so by the time a Bredli was big enough to be a bit tougher for the child. I think depending on the confidence of the child a Bredli would be a good choice. That's my opinion.

Monique

I agree with that hypothesis.

what about a Darwin?

Picture017.jpg

My first snake is a spotted. Am getting a bredli in March. Lol both of the snakes you don't want.

Sand for Morelia can lead to the substrate getting stuck in the heat pits and causing infection. I used fine grain red sand once, but it got underneath the snake's scutes and drove them insane. I changed to washed beach sand, and that's not too bad, but it's a little hard to clean and keep hygienic. Newspaper all the way.

Wild_Storm, in the wild they don't really live on loose, beach like sand, where they can't escape. But this is another "in-the-wild-they-" argument. My philosophy is that our animals aren't in the wild, and shouldn't be exposed to the dangers they other wise would be.

I have run every idea for all my enclosures by other breeders from this site, and none have told me that. Thank you for the information. I will keep an eye out for that problem, but I am not into newspaper, so I am not changing... I am VERY passionate about keeping all my enclosures natural.

I am not using red soil, or fine red sand, I am using a Red sand from out west, it is fairly co**** and so far (after 3 months) I have had no problems. I believe it is whatever you feel most comfortable with. Because of all the bad things I have read, I have checked with my vet every month to make sure there are no problems... So far everything is going good.

But again, thank you for that information... It is better to know about any possible problems, to be prepared.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back